• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oslo - Trondheim Line Flood Damage

endecotp

And now there is a pretty coating of snow over everything....

Second span is on the move right now!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
According to banenor, they will now examine the two spans to see if they can be reused and build a new (and improved) pier. It is likely to be spring before it repopens.

They have reopened the line north of Ringebu, so it is now only an hour’s bus journey from Lillehammer, rather than two and a half to Dombås.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
According to banenor, they will now examine the two spans to see if they can be reused and build a new (and improved) pier. It is likely to be spring before it repopens.

They have reopened the line north of Ringebu, so it is now only an hour’s bus journey from Lillehammer, rather than two and a half to Dombås.
That is good news, but also a sign they think this will be very long term!

Some kind of floating barge being moved into position near the collapsed pier today. Seen plenty of boats in the river too.

Last edited:

JonasB

That is good news, but also a sign they think this will be very long term!

What's a sign? But yes, this will probably take some time. It might not be that easy to build a bridge pillar in the winter.

Some kind of floating barge being moved into position near the collapsed pier today. Seen plenty of boats in the river too.

I guess the barge will be used as a platform for works in the river. The "pillars" looks like the ones found on some oil platforms that can be used as support to allow it to stand on the bottom.

Hadrian

Regular viewing of the webcam (linked from post 31) permits a guessing game as to what specific tasks are currently in progress. Do the two trailers near the telescopic crane (at noon on Wed 15/11/23) suggest diving operations?

Gloster

Established Member
Regular viewing of the webcam (linked from post 31) permits a guessing game as to what specific tasks are currently in progress. Do the two trailers near the telescopic crane (at noon on Wed 15/11/23) suggest diving operations?

BAS with (the same logo) is a machinery hiring company, so they are probably connected with the crane. I can’t read the logo on the small blue container, but that is probably just for general storage.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
It certainly takes detective work at the moment. I am trying to work out the crane on the other side and what that is up to!

JonasB

The bridge will be reused. The damage on the spans is limited so they will be repaired and the bridge will open again "before the summer".

"The inspection of the bridge elements of the Randklev bridge south of Ringebu shows that the extent of damage is limited, and that it is possible to reuse the elements.

The way it looks now, we can transport people and goods climate- and environmentally friendly by train through Gudbrandsdalen again during the spring.

- This is very good news for the passengers, the cargo owners who transport goods and us. The fact that we can reuse the elements will contribute to us being able to open the Dovrebanen to through traffic more quickly than if we had had to build a completely new bridge, says CEO Thor Gjermund Eriksen of Bane NOR.
" (Translation by google)

https://www.banenor.no/nyheter-og-aktuelt/nyheter/2023/randklev-bru-kan-gjenbrukes/ (In Norwegian)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Thanks for posting. Good news for the structure and the cost and simplicity! Suspect I won't be travelling over it in mid march based on the before summer estimate but still great to see progress.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Google Chrome can translate that page, but with some creative interpretations of Norwegian words...

On behalf of Bane NOR, Rambøll Norge AS has examined both bridge elements and mapped the extent of damage.

The report reveals damage to a limited extent, and the damage is mainly located at each end of the soda fountains.

:E

Gloster

Established Member
Brus+pennene instead of bru+spennene which autotranslates as "Bridge buckles" but I suspect means "Bridge spans" which also fits the context.

Bru = bridge, spenn = span, the -ene makes it definite plural. (Brus is fizzy lemonade or similar and penn means pen, so Google is being very creative…and badly wrong.)

AndrewE

Established Member
Bru = bridge, spenn = span, the -ene makes it definite plural. (Brus is fizzy lemonade or similar and penn means pen, so Google is being very creative…and badly wrong.)
which doesn't bode well for the future where Artificial "Intelligence" will rule our lives!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
They appear to be building a large scaffold tent which suggests they will be doing a significant amount of grit blasting and painting, as well as being able to control the environment for any welding and other delicate steel works.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I believe they have installed either the Koffer Dam or formwork for the new pier today.

Another step closer.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The new pier appears to be fully formed now, but work continues to the two steel spans and to fit bearings to the pier.

Went past on the bus yesterday, the site looks bigger in person than via the webcam, very efficient replacement operation and got loco hauled on the north side of the stoppage which was an unexpected bonus complete with Buffer car.

On a side note the line is breathtaking and well worth a visit, I thought better than Bergen Line.

CS2447

The new pier appears to be fully formed now, but work continues to the two steel spans and to fit bearings to the pier.

Went past on the bus yesterday, the site looks bigger in person than via the webcam, very efficient replacement operation and got loco hauled on the north side of the stoppage which was an unexpected bonus complete with Buffer car.

On a side note the line is breathtaking and well worth a visit, I thought better than Bergen Line.
I agree , much better than The Bergen , i went past late Sept 23 . Train to Andalsnes is much better than The Flam for me , too short

JonasB

I agree , much better than The Bergen , i went past late Sept 23 . Train to Andalsnes is much better than The Flam for me , too short
Agree, and it is a bit of a "hidden gem" so there are not as many tourists as on the route to Bergen and Flåmsbana.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Agree, and it is a bit of a "hidden gem" so there are not as many tourists as on the route to Bergen and Flåmsbana.
Didn't get chance to go to Andalsnes this time. We were dissapointed from Trondheim North to find a group from Great Rail Journeys which just took over the buffet car didn't buy anything and leant directly onto some of us while sat down to get pictures without asking.

Made me proud to be British :rolleyes:

Otherwise as you say had very few tourists on the trip compared to the Bergen Line.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
When I went past on the bus they were constructing a new access road now I remember. And I thought it was odd but now seems obvious as the track has been laid across the previous access.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Bane Nor announces that the railway re-opens for freight traffic on 20 May and passenger traffic on 21 May.

Press release (with photos of the repairs ongoing) in Norwegian: https://www.banenor.no/nyheter-og-aktuelt/nyheter/2024/narmer-seg-gjenapning-av-randklev-bru/

My translation:

After an intensive construction period, the Randklev bridge is ready to re-open to traffic on 20th May. The bridge suffered extensive damage during the Storm Hans in August 2023. The large amounts of water in Gudbrandsdalslågen caused one of the bridge foundations to overturn, and thus two of the bridge elements ended up in the river. Inspections of the bridge elements after they had been hoisted ashore showed that they could be reused and the bridge restored.

The train companies have been running substitute buses along parts of the route and there are no night trains.

"Reopening the connection over Gudbrandsdalslågen has had the highest priority for us. The Dovrebanen is a very important section, and it has been a demanding time for both the passengers and the train companies. We thank you for your patience while we worked to reopen the Randklev bridge," says Thor Gjermund Eriksen, CEO of Bane NOR.

The freight trains start running on the Dovrebanen again on 20 May, while the passenger trains run the entire route from 21 May.

The Dovrebanen is an important stretch for freight traffic, and every year several thousand freight trains run between the parts of the country.

When the Randklev bridge was damaged, part of the freight traffic was moved to the Røros railway. This has led to more stress and wear and tear on the track, increased noise for residents along the railway and fewer departures for the passenger trains.

While the Randklev Bridge has been closed, there has also been no freight traffic on the Rauma Railway. Due to limited capacity on the Rørosbanen, part of the goods that normally go by train have been transported on the roads by lorries.

"It is critically important for society that the Dovrebanen is open so that large volumes of food and other necessary goods can be transported climate-friendly and traffic-safe by train between Eastern Norway and Central Norway, and on to Northern Norway," says Eriksen.

The train is the most climate- and environmentally friendly means of transport for both goods and people. A freight train on rails is equivalent to 30 trucks on the road.

The work to rebuild the Randklev Bridge has been in full swing since the bridge was damaged. The bridge elements have been repaired on land and will be lifted back up again. The extent of damage to them has been limited.

In addition to repairing the bridge elements, Bane NOR has built a new foundation. The new foundation has a larger base surface area and is better protected against erosion and undermining to withstand more extreme weather due to climate change. At the same time, erosion protection of the other bridge foundation has been carried out.