• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Outrage as London tube driver whips up passengers to chant pro-Palestinian slogans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
Does having an LGBTQ flag plastered down the side of a train count as a political view ?

Depends on the context and how much you think something is a political viewpoint. For example with the BBC they are one of the few organisations that doesn't have any Pride logos for pretty much anything as for the BBC it could be considered a breach of impartiality. With other organisations however it's not seen as controversial and I think all railway companies now have a pride logo. It's also important to remember that as private companies the rail companies could in theory make public political messages although like most large companies they don't as at the end of the day they don't want to alienate customers. I know with Brexit there was a rail guard at SWT who got in trouble for writing "Vote Out" which is understandable as it was a sensitive subject.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can confirm from somebody in the know the train operator is indeed an ASLEF member, and they are confident he can be saved.

As long as he understands the extreme gravity of what he did (which by "rabble rousing" could easily have led to an assault or worse), then I don't object to one more chance. But I'd say he must understand, accept and apologise for what he did, and if not then I'd be throwing the full weight of the book at him. Furthermore if the procedures aren't clear that the PA must not be used for anything not relating to train operation or as instructed otherwise by Control*, then they need to be. Even announcing football results will annoy someone who has recorded it to view later.

* I suspect the announcement of the Queen's death was requested by Control, as the driver wouldn't have known otherwise, being underground and presumably having his phone turned off.

Turtle

I believe that term is considered to be a slur now, so that is likely why the poster you quoted took issue with it
It is a slur in that context. For example I once worked with a fellow accountant who was a diddicoy. Had I been on that train, should I have started to keep a closer eye on her? Obviously not but one can see how thoughtless public announcements can have consequences these days.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I can confirm from somebody in the know the train operator is indeed an ASLEF member, and they are confident he can be saved.
I think the fact he came forward of his own accord should work in his favour. A degree or two of penitence and a promise to never contemplate something similar again might save his job, but he knows he would be closely watched by those higher up for a fair while.

Established Member
The union are likely to ensure the company follows its disciplinary procedures correctly. That’s probably as far as their stance will go.

There will be rules against it, bringing company into disrepute for starters, and almost certainly something about expressing political views.

There was an H&C driver who stopped their train and joined what IIRC was a vigil in respect of Grenfell Tower. To be honest I don’t think that was an anppropriate thing to do either, but at least that wasn’t a political thing. I don’t think any action was taken over that one though.

High emotions don’t have a place when in charge of a train, no matter how sensitive the issue. One of the reasons train drivers attract a high salary is for exactly that reason, that professionalism is expected 100.0% of the time.

I agree with this, in particular the parallel with the Grenfell scenario, which IIRC similarly involved the misuse of safety critical/emergency equipment, to make a political point!

Certainly, union membership will (and should) have little bearing in terms of whether he saves his job. I have known of ASLEF members being summarily dismissed for “bringing their employer into disrepute” over comments they have made on social media, which were way less public than this, albeit more overtly grossly offensive in the examples I’m thinking of.

Summary dismissal would almost certainly be an option in this case. I doubt any employment tribunal would conclude that a. gross misconduct wasn’t committed in this instance, or b. That sacking wouldn’t be within the range of reasonable responses open to an employer to said gross misconduct. Ultimately it will depend on the individual’s record, and of course the wider PR picture.

Regardless of the above, making any form of political statement via company equipment while at work is a breathtakingly unprofessional way for any safety critical staff member to behave, and frankly paints the wider railway industry in a very bad light, at a time when that perception isn’t great generally!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.