• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overground Trainee Driver - Harlesden and SE London, Feb '21 & Aug '21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny321

Hi guys I just got the vse test today, I was wondering if someone can shed some light on how to deal with the 3rd part of the test. I am not sure if I have to use just a mouse for multitasking or I can use space bar for the left screen to acknowledge the faults. Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi guys I just got the vse test today, I was wondering if someone can shed some light on how to deal with the 3rd part of the test. I am not sure if I have to use just a mouse for multitasking or I can use space bar for the left screen to acknowledge the faults. Cheers
Hey Sunny321, you would need to use a mouse for the whole VSE. If I remember correctly, I think it says this at the start of the test so always best to go with their recommendation as it’s usually to help you :)

Sunny321

Hey Sunny321, you would need to use a mouse for the whole VSE. If I remember correctly, I think it says this at the start of the test so always best to go with their recommendation as it’s usually to help you :)
Thanks I will follow the instructions , cheers

Lenny_U

Yes definitely use mouse! My mate didn't and failed.

Star S W 9

Use the mouse mate.

luvash

Got an invite to attend assessments at the main office (need to complete the SJT & VSE in a supervised environment)

Daz88

Got an invite to attend assessments at the main office (need to complete the SJT & VSE in a supervised environment)

would i be right in saying you recently completed your VSE online like the rest of us who have had one sent out to us ?

And also am I writing in assuming that you do another VSE with your SJT on the assessment day supervised as you said above ?

missammi

Me too.

It also says in the email that if I am successful at this stage I will be invited to second assessment day.

Does anyone know if a second assessment day at Arriva happens a day after? Or will I be sent another email with a new day for example a week apart?
Just wondering as struggling to get time off at work.

Ace91

Me too.

It also says in the email that if I am successful at this stage I will be invited to second assessment day.

Does anyone know if a second assessment day at Arriva happens a day after? Or will I be sent another email with a new day for example a week apart?

In my experience the second assessment day was roughly 5 weeks after the first.

baz962

Established Member
Me too.

Things may have changed with covid , but it used to be several weeks apart.

Well done! Got my invite today too. Do you think we have to do the VSE again? I got the impression from the email that if you had already passed the VSE, you wouldn’t need to sit it again. It would just be the SJT, a DFFT and another concentration test.

Or two concentration tests, neither of which will be the VSE.

Last edited:

missammi

Well done! Got my invite today too. Do you think we have to do the VSE again? I got the impression from the email that if you had already passed the VSE, you wouldn’t need to sit it again. It would just be the SJT, a DFFT and another concentration test.

Personally I didn’t think so but it was mentioned earlier on this forum about sitting it again in supervised environment.
In the email it clearly says assessment will include two concentration tests, a fault finding test and a situational judgement test.

.... practice material includes VSE - so could be :)

I have passed SJT online at home in December as I’ve applied for Southern also and awaiting assessment date with them.

HLK97

If Stage 1 is the same as last year, it does not include the VSE. The VSE seems to have been added this time as part of the sifting process before getting to stage 1, which it wasn’t previously. According to the website, VSE is usually stage 2, so perhaps it will be done again then or not at all. Best advice is to practice lots with the materials they give you, and just do your best on the day. Good luck!

Personally I didn’t think so but it was mentioned earlier on this forum about sitting it again in supervised environment.
In the email it clearly says assessment will include two concentration tests, a fault finding test and a situational judgement test.

.... practice material includes VSE - so could be :)

I have passed SJT online at home in December as I’ve applied for Southern also and awaiting assessment date with them.
Yeah, I don’t think it is. The website says Stage 1 is DFFT, SJT, Group Bourdon and TEA-Occ, which matches what it says in the email :)

To be honest, even if they threw the VSE in there it’s not the end of the world as we’ve already had the best practice we can for it!

If Stage 1 is the same as last year, it does not include the VSE. The VSE seems to have been added this time as part of the sifting process before getting to stage 1, which it wasn’t previously. According to the website, VSE is usually stage 2, so perhaps it will be done again then or not at all. Best advice is to practice lots with the materials they give you, and just do your best on the day. Good luck!
Thanks mate! Yeah, just going to do as much practice as possible and be ready for anything.

Lenny_U

Who hasn't heard back yet but has completed their VSE?

And for what depots?
Haven't heard nothing back yet, but I've only done it last Saturday so not expecting to hear back yet. It usually takes around one week.
Applied for Willesden

luvash

I've already passed Stage 1 & 2 last year. So I had to query my position as to what test I need to sit. They came back with saying that I have to complete the VSE and SJT in a supervised environment, so lets give that a try shall we! :D

Ace91

I've already passed Stage 1 & 2 last year. So I had to query my position as to what test I need to sit. They came back with saying that I have to complete the VSE and SJT in a supervised environment, so lets give that a try shall we! :D

Wow, that’s interesting. Did you pass with Arriva or another TOC?

Ah ok I see, thanks Luvash! Well at least you've had a great practice on both :D good luck, sure you'll smash it!

Rylievie

Thanks a ton pal
You are in the exact same position i was in. Had done everything with another company, but the company had done the VSE online too so I had to re-do it in a supervised environment. In this case the VSE has been added as a pre sift possibly to cut more people from the assessment days due to covid. But you could easily had got someone to do it for you at home. Think that's why they make you repeat it. The questionnaire is pretty straight forward but if its part of another stage 1 just a heads up I had to wait a few hours until it got to the SJT part.

luvash

You are in the exact same position i was in. Had done everything with another company, but the company had done the VSE online too so I had to re-do it in a supervised environment. In this case the VSE has been added as a pre sift possibly to cut more people from the assessment days due to covid. But you could easily had got someone to do it for you at home. Think that's why they make you repeat it. The questionnaire is pretty straight forward but if its part of another stage 1 just a heads up I had to wait a few hours until it got to the SJT part.
ah man thanks so much for clarifying! im willing to wait as long as needed! :D

WembleyDreamer

Hey guys, I applied to the North London line job on the DB website, on 26th February. I check into my account and it's saying application in process, but reading above that some have already heard back? I've only heard back to send more information by email. Beginning to think I have been unsuccessful and they just haven't got round to formally rejecting me.

What do you think?

Thanks for any help, new poster to this forum and first position I've applied for.

re320

Hey guys, I applied to the North London line job on the DB website, on 26th February. I check into my account and it's saying application in process, but reading above that some have already heard back? I've only heard back to send more information by email. Beginning to think I have been unsuccessful and they just haven't got round to formally rejecting me.

What do you think?

Thanks for any help, new poster to this forum and first position I've applied for.
They do it in stages. Lots of people are at completly different stages. I still haven't heard either beyond what you've said but with these positions no news is good news essentially, as that's not a no. It doesn't mean your application is any better or worse than any one else's. I applied as soon as it went live. Just got to wait it out sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.