• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overnight allocation of Northern fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llama

Established Member
Two sets also stable at Rochdale.

At Wigan quite a few sets stable in the Up Carriage Sidings next to the Southport line (although two sidings are now used for 195s for training), the bay platform at Wallgate and the bay platforms at Wigan North Western.

Bovverboy

Established Member
Two sets also stable at Rochdale.

There's definitely only one set stables at Rochdale, although it may well comprise two units. I don't mind saying, though, I wasn't aware that anything at all stabled at Rochdale, until you said.

At Wigan quite a few sets stable in the Up Carriage Sidings next to the Southport line (although two sidings are now used for 195s for training), the bay platform at Wallgate and the bay platforms at Wigan North Western.

In recent times only platform 2 at North Western has been used for stabling, i.e. not platform 3 as well. This situation does have a habit of varying over time.
At Wallgate I see that platform 3 is not currently used for in-service trains (i.e. arriving/departing to/from Kirkby or Southport). Is that platform not currently authorised for passenger use? I'm sure that it used to be, and I thought there was a proposal to run the Kirkby service as a standalone shuttle from Wallgate - presumably, using it.

Last edited:

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
|At Wallgate I see that platform 3 is not currently used for in-service trains (i.e. arriving/departing to/from Kirkby or Southport). Is that platform not currently authorised for passenger use? I'm sure that it used to be, and I thought there was a proposal to run the Kirkby service as a standalone shuttle from Wallgate - presumably, using it.

Not sure where you got this idea from: the off-peak Wallgate-Kirkby shuttle does indeed operate from bay platform 3.

Bovverboy

Established Member
Not sure where you got this idea from: the off-peak Wallgate-Kirkby shuttle does indeed operate from bay platform 3.

I didn't realised the shuttle had started - has it been from the start of the present timetable (20 May)?

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I didn't realise the shuttle had started - has it been from the start of the present timetable (20 May)?

Correct. Though engineering works have in the past occasionally led to a Wallgate-Kirkby shuttle being operated and that ran from/to Platform 3. Platform 3 also continues to be used for overnight stabling but the previous use of that set for the first all-stops service to Southport has been discontinued.

Llama

Established Member
There's definitely only one set stables at Rochdale, although it may well comprise two units. I don't mind saying, though, I wasn't aware that anything at all stabled at Rochdale, until you said.

In recent times only platform 2 at North Western has been used for stabling, i.e. not platform 3 as well. This situation does have a habit of varying over time.
At Wallgate I see that platform 3 is not currently used for in-service trains (i.e. arriving/departing to/from Kirkby or Southport). Is that platform not currently authorised for passenger use? I'm sure that it used to be, and I thought there was a proposal to run the Kirkby service as a standalone shuttle from Wallgate - presumably, using it.
Two sets would normally be readily interpreted as two units to the vast majority of rail staff. What you describe I would refer to as two rafts, rakes etc.

Platform 3 at Wigan Wallgate is used regularly during the day at the moment. Indeed quite a lot of Kirkby trains during the day run in and out of there since the May timetable change, and other trains are booked in and out in the morning & evening. It's not been out of use for a long time.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I didn't realised the shuttle had started - has it been from the start of the present timetable (20 May)?

Used it yesterday on a "grand day out" - and a decently refurbed 150/1 to boot! - new track for me (riding that was a default from other plans , which was just as well as it transpired)

newtownmgr

Actually, I was considering Neville Hill and Holbeck to be 'North-East' - they were in the North Eastern Region, weren't they?
As to Heaton beng a crew depot, on another thread Heaton is not quoted as being a crew depot, but Newcastle is. Certainly for Heaton to be a crew depot would be going very much against the trend of recent decades. In any case only about five DMU sets (I think) start and finish their day at Heaton, and there must be many many more Tyneside-based Northern crews than that.

I don't in any way contest the notion that Darlington is both a crew depot and a DMU stabling point.

If i recall Drivers based at Darlington & Conductors based at Middlesbrough.

Paul_10

A unit is left at Lancaster on a Saturday night and also one left at Stoke during the week.

Yep correct, the 142 that does the Morecambe branch on a Saturday also works the same branch again on Sunday. Before the TT change it would go ECS to Barrow so sidings coupled to a 156 on a Sunday night and work the branch for a 3rd day but this is no longer the case and I believe the unit heads to Preston and possibly then to Blackpool out of service. I also think a 156 stables at Lancaster platform 2 on a Saturday night also but not fully certain on that one.

Looking at real-time trains it seems to me 2N02 splits st Hartlepool with the rear part heading back to Hexham as 2N07. There can be no other explanation of the Hartlepool times, can there? http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/HPL/2019/06/12/0700

I deduce that it must leave Heaton as 3 units. The Chathill part splitting at Newcastle first.

Yep as far as I'm aware that is a 4 car diagram which splits at Hartlepool and then do their own separate diagrams. I assume it's 2 142s that does it but a 142+156 could happen, be surprised if its 2 156s mind.

darloscott

Yep correct, the 142 that does the Morecambe branch on a Saturday also works the same branch again on Sunday. Before the TT change it would go ECS to Barrow so sidings coupled to a 156 on a Sunday night and work the branch for a 3rd day but this is no longer the case and I believe the unit heads to Preston and possibly then to Blackpool out of service. I also think a 156 stables at Lancaster platform 2 on a Saturday night also but not fully certain on that one.

Yep as far as I'm aware that is a 4 car diagram which splits at Hartlepool and then do their own separate diagrams. I assume it's 2 142s that does it but a 142+156 could happen, be surprised if its 2 156s mind.

Certainly used to be 156 going to Hexham and 142 to Nunthorpe, though I’ve just seen a 156 on the Stockton finish tonight which strikes me as unusual!

Status
Not open for further replies.