Overnight allocation of Northern fleet

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by geoffk, 10 Jun 2018.

1. geoffk

geoffk Member

Does someone have a list of locations where Northern units are stabled overnight, i.e. not at depots? Are there always units stabled at a train crew depot, e.g. Barrow and Buxton?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. mervyn72

mervyn72 Member

I believe units are stabled at these crew locations:
    Heaton
    Darlington
    York
    Harrogate
    Neville Hill
    Leeds
    Skipton
    Holbeck
    Hull
    Doncaster
    Sheffield
    Carlisle
    Workington
    Barrow
    Blackpool
    Wigan
    Stockport
    Newton Heath
    Longsight
    Buxton
    Allerton
    Liverpool Lime Street
    Blackburn
    Cleethorpes

And also at Ilkley, Preston and Bradford Forster Square with crews taxied in/out

4. Bovverboy

Bovverboy Member

I don't think Stockport, Newton Heath, Longsight, and Allerton are crew depots, although rolling stock is stabled there. One or two of the NE bases are doubtful, too.
    On the other hand Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Victoria are crew depots, and at the latter point two Class 319s are stabled overnight. I think units are stabled at Chester, but possibly not every night.
    Note that units are not always stabled in the immediate vicinity of the crew depot. Units stabled at Wigan, for instance, are actually stabled at three separate locations.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2018
  5. Shaw S Hunter

Shaw S Hunter Established Member

I believe Huddersfield is missing from the list.

6. AMD

AMD Member

Also Southport now...

7. IanXC

IanXC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What's doubtful about Heaton and Darlington?

8. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    there are only 2 north east bases on the list: Darlington and Heaton. Both are used nightly.

There is an ECS form Boro to Heaton via Darlo every night and the first train to Boro from Darlo is formed of a unit that sleeps over night at Darlington station. There is even a shunt to get them into the bay platform.

9. geoffk

geoffk Member

Thanks for information, guys.

10. Bovverboy

Bovverboy Member

Actually, I was considering Neville Hill and Holbeck to be 'North-East' - they were in the North Eastern Region, weren't they?
    As to Heaton beng a crew depot, on another thread Heaton is not quoted as being a crew depot, but Newcastle is. Certainly for Heaton to be a crew depot would be going very much against the trend of recent decades. In any case only about five DMU sets (I think) start and finish their day at Heaton, and there must be many many more Tyneside-based Northern crews than that.

I don't in any way contest the notion that Darlington is both a crew depot and a DMU stabling point.

11. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    No worries - i only know where the trains live.

12. Loop & Link

Loop & Link Member

If by 5 you mean up to 10 sets starting their day at Heaton you’d be right.

No crew depot, Newcastle crew taxied there.

13. Bovverboy

Bovverboy Member

According to RTT, only five sets start at Heaton. Two of those then split at Newcastle, one does so at Darlington, and one does at Middlesbrough. The only one which doesn't split at all is the one which does Newcastle to Glasgow via Carlisle, which I deduce must be a four-car set.

Did you mean ten units?

14. Loop & Link

Loop & Link Member

Yes meant 10 units, sorry. They come off in various formations.

15. DanNCL

DanNCL Member

The 06:30 Newcastle - Glasgow via Carlisle is usually a 2 car set, in the form of a ScotRail 156. When I used it a couple of weeks ago, just after the timetable change, it worked into Newcastle from Heaton attached to a Northern 156 and a 142, both of which detached at Newcastle and went on to their own diagrams. I think the ScotRail 156 might work to Heaton on it's own in the evening though, after arriving into Newcastle from Glasgow.

16. Bovverboy

Bovverboy Member

I only assumed the Glasgow was a four-car unit after 'Loop & Link' had said ten sets worked out of Heaton in a morning, i presumed he meant units, and I could account for only nine. However I'm only guessing that all sets divide into single units, and they might not do.
    The Scotrail 156 is scheduled to come from Heaton on its own, but I recognise that things might be varied day to day.
    More units do return to Heaton as singles than depart there.

17. DanNCL

DanNCL Member

There is a morning working from Heaton to Hexham, which is a single unit, and the unit that works 2N02 Newcastle - Nunthorpe also leaves Heaton as a single unit. The ECS for the Glasgow service does appear to be booked for a single unit, so I'm not sure why it was attached to two other units when I saw it the other week!

I make that 7 units that depart each morning, and 7 units that return each evening. There are also two mid morning ECS workings from Newcastle back to Heaton, and two mid afternoon workings from Heaton to Newcastle. From what I can tell the mid morning/mid afternoon workings to/from Heaton are both single units, making it 9 units that work to Heaton (one of them is ECS York - Heaton), and 9 units that leave Heaton (all appear to stay within the North East) each day.

18. Bovverboy

Bovverboy Member

According to RTT this is the standard M/F routine.

3D00 0507 ECS Heaton-Middlesbrough splits at Middlesbrough into 2D00 0622 Middlesbrough-Saltburn and 2W03 0659 Middlesbrough-Newcastle
    5N04 0520 ECS Heaton-Hexham drops stock at Newcastle for 2N01 0600 Newcastle-Hexham
    5A00 0530 ECS Heaton-Newcastle splits at Newcastle into 2A00 0555 Newcastle-Chathill and 2N02 0605 Newcastle-Nunthorpe
    3D01 0535 ECS Heaton-Darlington splits at Darlington into 2D01 0624 Darlington-Bishop Auckland and 2D83 0634 Darlington-Whitby
    5N03 0603 ECS Heaton-Newcastle forms 1S50 0630 Newcastle-Glasgow

Not only is the above what is scheduled, but RTT appears to indicate that it is what prevails in practice, too. So the above accounts for a minimum of nine units departing Heaton early mornings.

19. DanNCL

DanNCL Member

There are also two afternoon ECS workings, and one evening ECS working.
    5N30 1425 ECS Heaton - Newcastle forms 2N30 1441 Newcastle - Nunthorpe
    5N73 1744 ECS Heaton - Newcastle forms 1N73 1810 Newcastle - Carlisle
    5A55 2207 ECS Heaton - Newcastle forms 2A55 2222 Newcastle - Darlington, then continues as 5A55 2306 ECS Darlington - York. I believe this working is usually formed of 2 142s, despite not splitting en route.

So this makes 13 units out of Heaton each day?

20. Bovverboy

Bovverboy Member

It doesn't seem too long ago that you were telling us that there were only nine units which departed Heaton daily.

Okay, so if thirteen units depart Heaton each day, how many do you now reckon return there?

21. DanNCL

DanNCL Member

Apologies, when I was saying it was only 9 units I hadn't yet seen the afternoon ECS workings out of Heaton on RTT.

I suspect 13 units return as well; there's an ECS working from York to Heaton, which is probably a pair of 142s like the corresponding southbound move (which operates in service between Newcastle and Darlington), I'm not 100% certain on that one though.