• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Owning vs Leasing a car

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
We have an issue as one of is not very good with money. I have a bit of a conundrum I wanted to share with you:

He currently owns a Ford that he bought for £10,000 on finance. He still owes a large amount left on it and has lost money as he owes more that the £7,500 it is worth. His monthly repayment is £300. Apparently the car is losing £400 in value every month.

He has found another Ford that he would like to lease instead. This one is a hybrid and is allegedly much better on fuel. However, it is £360 a month instead of £300

My thinking is that it is far better to own the car outright and owe nothing on it each month, than to rent a car that you will never own

The dealership he bought his current Ford form have agreed to take it back and write off all of the finance, although he has to make a £1,000 contribution towards it

I really don’t know what to think. Thoughts please?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
The dealership he bought his current Ford form have agreed to take it back and write off all of the finance, although he has to make a £10,000 contribution towards it
Why on earth would you do that? If you have the £10k then surely you're better off paying off the finance saving on interest and owning a car?

He currently owns a Ford that he bought for £10,000 on finance. He still owes a large amount left on it and has lost money as he owes more that the £7,500 it is worth. His monthly repayment is £300. Apparently the car is losing £400 in value every month.
That's the thing with cars. They depreciate and that needs to be taken into account. How long is the remainder of the finance period? At some point the monthly depreciation will probably drop below the monthly repayment.

Does the finance allow any overpayments? If it does and you can afford it, it might be worth looking into overpaying by the £60 a month extra you would have spent on the other car. That would save interest by shortening the time taken to pay off the loan.

Energy

Established Member
It's important to remember with many leases that you are paying just the depreciation, you'll still have to pay the market value of the car at the end or refinance it. It's why financing new cars often makes little sense as opposed to buying a few-year-old model and letting someone take on the large depreciation.
He has found another Ford that he would like to lease instead. This one is a hybrid and is allegedly much better on fuel. However, it is £360 a month instead of £300
I'm confused, can he keep up with the current £300pm or not?

If he is keeping up with the payments then it is the financier's problem that they underestimated the depreciation. He can hand back the car at the end of the contract.

skyhigh

Established Member
If he is keeping up with the payments then it is the financier's problem that they underestimated the depreciation. He can hand back the car at the end of the contract.
It sounds like the current car is bought on some form of loan and will be owned outright at the end when all the payments are made. Therefore the value of the vehicle is of relevance to the owner.

muz379

Established Member
He hasn't lost any money yet if he has yet to sell it or give it back , and ultimately depreciation is a curve which is steeper at the start of a cars life and levels out the older the car gets . So if he pays the £10,000 + interest off at some point he will own the car outright with whatever value it has at that time .

Not 100 in tune with what is going on at the minute but I remember during and shortly after the pandemic used car prices went crazy due to increased demand for used cars as building of new cars had slowed down during the pandemic . If this was still the case I wouldn't put it past the dealer trying to convince him to trade this one in going into their used stock and they then lease him a brand new one which goes down as a new car sale for them . Of course even without those market conditions they are in the business of selling cars so if they can convince someone to get a new car then theyve made a sale .
It's important to remember with many leases that you are paying just the depreciation, you'll still have to pay the market value of the car at the end or refinance it. It's why financing new cars often makes little sense as opposed to buying a few-year-old model and letting someone take on the large depreciation.
There is the personal contract hire (Similar to businsess contract hire ) where you literally lease the car and pay the agreed payments for the term specified and then give it back at the end . It is a growingly popular way of "owning" a car .

Snow1964

Established Member
He currently owns a Ford that he bought for £10,000 on finance. He still owes a large amount left on it and has lost money as he owes more that the £7,500 it is worth.
There is always going to be a dealer markup, they buy it from someone for say £8000 then sell it and make a profit. Every car is worth less minute you drive it off the forecourt

His monthly repayment is £300. Apparently the car is losing £400 in value every month.
Both the car value, and the loan will over many years go to zero, the depreciation (loss of value) will slow down, but repayments probably stay constant each month, so if keep car long enough value should be higher than what is owed.

He has found another Ford that he would like to lease instead.
The grass is always greener, and everyone would like a newer, nicer car, and even if he/she changes the car, same thing will apply in next year, so do they change again

This one is a hybrid and is allegedly much better on fuel.
This is a silly argument, spend hundreds a month to save perhaps £30 a month on fuel, don't know their mileage, but maybe they will save one £60 tankful every few weeks

However, it is £360 a month instead of £300
So paying out extra, which might not even be covered by fuel savings, so net out of pocket

My thinking is that it is far better to own the car outright and owe nothing on it each month, than to rent a car that you will never own
Yes, but got to pay for it first, this only applies when you have fully paid off the finance. The problem with long term renting is most people can't afford it when they retire, so getting stuck in a perpetual paying out scenario is never good long term

The dealership he bought his current Ford form have agreed to take it back and write off all of the finance, although he has to make a £10,000 contribution towards it
They won't have written it off, they will have settled outstanding using the £10,000 he gave them, any balance would have gone to pay part of new car. No way is the dealership some sort of charity gifting money, will have £10,000 less in his bank account, or has new outstanding loan instead of old one

I really don’t know what to think. Thoughts please?
It is simple they have rolled over the problem, possibly making the outstanding bigger, but just pushed the day of settlement some months into the future.

I suspect your friend has just reduced Their savings account by £10,000 they have found to pay out, or taken out another loan, either way their net cash assets have gone down £10,000. If the old car was worth £7500, and new car is worth less than £17,500 (the 7500 plus 10,000 funds put in) then lost out

Regarding the lease, simply add up all the payments plus deposit, eg £2000 deposit plus 36 months at £400 = £16,400 which is lot to pay out over 3 years (it's almost £5500 each year). Never look at monthlies if considering the cost (remember comparing the cost, not doing a monthly cash flow). Using this example over 10 years would be over £50,000. Which is obviously lot more than if had bought a £30,000 car and kept it 10 years (even allowing few thousand in servicing and replacement parts over 10 years)

As for PCPs or Hire purchase or other similar loan finance, go onto the car manufacturer website, and will usually find a finance calculator example. Can plug in figures. I know someone similar who got misled by a deposit contribution, it went something like cash price of car £30,000, total payable (which is usually few lines down) £35,000. Basically by financing it, overall would cost extra £5000 (35,000 total less £30,000 price)

They had been tempted by a £2500 contribution, but I then explained we're being charged £7500 in fees in interest. Because ultimately got to pay out £5000 extra, and would have cost same £35,000 if deposit contribution was £4000, and interest of £9000

Last edited:

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Why on earth would you do that? If you have the £10k then surely you're better off paying off the finance saving on interest and owning a car?
That is exactly my thinking. He want something newer that has better fuel economy. Sorry I got my numbers mixed up. He only has to make a £1,000 contribution.
That's the thing with cars. They depreciate and that needs to be taken into account. How long is the remainder of the finance period? At some point the monthly depreciation will probably drop below the monthly repayment.

Does the finance allow any overpayments? If it does and you can afford it, it might be worth looking into overpaying by the £60 a month extra you would have spent on the other car. That would save interest by shortening the time taken to pay off the loan.
There is no remaining period exactly although he is paying £300 per month. To pay off the remaining £7500. This will take 2 years. Paying off the car and owning outright is would be what I would do, but he does not want the car anymore.
Fortunately he won’t, the dealership are paying the car off completely. This is why the deal sounds so good to be true to me.
I'm confused, can he keep up with the current £300pm or not?

Yes, he can afford £300 per month. The leasing agreement is higher at £360 per month.
It sounds like the current car is bought on some form of loan and will be owned outright at the end when all the payments are made. Therefore the value of the vehicle is of relevance to the owner.
Correct, bought on finance. He still owes £10,000 on it, but the car is only worth £7,500. Overtime, this discrepancy will only increase
There is the personal contract hire (Similar to businsess contract hire ) where you literally lease the car and pay the agreed payments for the term specified and then give it back at the end . It is a growingly popular way of "owning" a car .
The way I see it, it is better to have a large mortgage on a house you own than to be renting a house that you will never own.

I think what I am trying to get out of the thread is advice on whether getting this newer, regardless of how it is fonder - is a practical way to make savings on fuel etc

Energy

Established Member
Correct, bought on finance. He still owes £10,000 on it, but the car is only worth £7,500. Overtime, this discrepancy will only increase
So he bought it at value £10 000, has he not made any payments?

skyhigh

Established Member
There is no remaining period exactly although he is paying £300 per month. To pay off the remaining £7500. This will take 2 years.
Is the remaining £7500 including the interest that is due over the 2 years?

You literally said in the same post there's £10,000 outstanding. What's the right figure?

No, it will decrease. Unless you think the value of the car is likely to become negative.

muz379

Established Member
The way I see it, it is better to have a large mortgage on a house you own than to be renting a house that you will never own.
Cars and houses are slightly different though , typically cars are depreciating and houses appreciate value .

Of course peoples preferences around both vary as well , some people are bothered by having a certain badge on the car or having a new car every couple of years .

If you are the sort of person who has to have the newest numberplate then generally if you shop around leasing is the way forward IMO, you fix your costs of a depreciating asset up front . There wont be any suprises down the road , you just give the car back at the agreed time .

That being said buying a used car on finance/with a loan there will typically be a part of the repayment cycle where the outsanding balance is higher than the value of the car but then there will be a portion of the repayment cycle where the amount owed is less than the value of the car .This will vary ependent on term length , car , interest rates , used car market conditions .
Yes cars depreciate , but as I said above that depreciation is typically on a curve and slows down over time . The used car industry generally uses this fact as a way of selling someone a new(to them ) car and making it seem like a really good deal "nothing to pay" or "keep paying the same" when people reach that part of the repayment cycle .

I think what I am trying to get out of the thread is advice on whether getting this newer, regardless of how it is fonder - is a practical way to make savings on fuel etc
Depends on so many variables like the actual figures on the finance arrangements for the current car and his annual mileage . But youd have to be doing a lot of miles for it to make financial sense , and then youd be looking at expensive leasing costs anyway as they charge more based on annual mileage .

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
The savings on fuel should be afterthought, not a prime reason.

It's a dumb argument to pay out hundreds a month, as the prime reason to save less than a tankful of fuel a month. If only fill up 2.5 times instead of 3 times a month, saving £30-40 each month

LAX54

Established Member
Lease: at the end of.... hand back the car and you have nothing, or cough up the current price for that car to keep it, which could be 6 or 7 grand or more !
Current car: Once paid off, its yours + whatever value is in the vehicle.

Lease cars also tend to have a mileage restriction, go over that and it may cost a pretty penny.

A0wen

On Moderation
We have an issue as one of is not very good with money. I have a bit of a conundrum I wanted to share with you:

I have to admit, I'm confused - if the car was bought for £10k and repayments are £300 a month, then after a year the outstanding balance would be £6400.

Is this current deal a PCP ? In which case there's always a "balloon" payment at the end as the finance only covers a %age of the amount the car is worth - effectively it's "renting" a car.

Lease: at the end of.... hand back the car and you have nothing, or cough up the current price for that car to keep it, which could be 6 or 7 grand or more !
Current car: Once paid off, its yours + whatever value is in the vehicle.

Lease cars also tend to have a mileage restriction, go over that and it may cost a pretty penny.

Bit in bold - not sure that's the case here as it sounds like the current deal is a PCP.

To put it in context I bought a car for £14k on a bank loan 2 years ago - about 40% of the loan is left, but the car is worth about £11k now, so I don't understand how the OP is in the situation they are.

richw

Veteran Member
so I don't understand how the OP is in the situation they are.
My car is on HP.

The current balance shown includes all projected interest for the entire term. If a settlement figure is requested the figure is adjusted to remove future interest.
If I just looked at the balance it is higher than my cars value would be today.

A0wen

On Moderation
My car is on HP.

The current balance shown includes all projected interest for the entire term. If a settlement figure is requested the figure is adjusted to remove future interest.
If I just looked at the balance it is higher than my cars value would be today.

Given used car prices *increased* over the last couple of years, you're either on a very long loan, a very high interest rate or have bought a car who's value has collapsed......

BlueLeanie

This is all very confusing. To help make an accurate assessment, can you clarify:-

How much the car cost.
How much the loan was for.
What are the total number of payments on the loan and how many have been made so far.
Have any payments been missed.
The current early redemption figure (not the same as the number of payments remaining).
If there is a lump sum due at the end of the loan.
The current online valuation of the car from WBAC or similar.

richw

Veteran Member
Given used car prices *increased* over the last couple of years, you're either on a very long loan, a very high interest rate or have bought a car who's value has collapsed......
I assumed a value based on what I paid for it and typical depreciation.

Just Put my registration into we buy any car out of curiosity and they’re offering only £100 less than was paid for it nearly 2 years ago. I’m in considerable positive equity in that case!

skyhigh

Established Member
This is all very confusing. To help make an accurate assessment, can you clarify:-

How much the car cost.
How much the loan was for.
What are the total number of payments on the loan and how many have been made so far.
Have any payments been missed.
The current early redemption figure (not the same as the number of payments remaining).
If there is a lump sum due at the end of the loan.
The current online valuation of the car from WBAC or similar.
To be honest it seems the understanding of the figures is a little weak and until the OP understands the full position the best advice is to do nothing.

Jumping headfirst into dropping the current car for another is just likely to further muddle things and potentially end up with a costly mistake.

muz379

Established Member
Could have also just "bought" it , in which case the balance including all future interest might be more than the value of the car which hasn't had any chance ot increase in value .

Bevan Price

Established Member
Generally, if you want to buy anything, the cheapest option is to try and save the full purchase price, and buy with "cash". Rental or hire purchase almost always means that you pay a lot more in the long term. Yes - it may delay the time before you can buy your car (or other goods) - but it is always worth considering.

(Housing is an exception, since few of use will ever be able to save up to the full purchase price of houses.)

muz379

Established Member
Generally, if you want to buy anything, the cheapest option is to try and save the full purchase price, and buy with "cash". Rental or hire purchase almost always means that you pay a lot more in the long term. Yes - it may delay the time before you can buy your car (or other goods) - but it is always worth considering.

(Housing is an exception, since few of use will ever be able to save up to the full purchase price of houses.)
I guess after a house though for a lot of people a car is their second most expensive posession .

It also depends on your preferences around cars , a lot of people now don't buy cars and keep them until they are uneconomical to repair . They want a new one more often than the life span of the average car these days . If you are doing that then your cost is the value of the depreciation of the car whilst you have it . And IMO the most senisble way forward with that is leasing - that is fixing the cost of the deprecation up front. The worst thing IMO would be to save up loads of money and drop your savings into a depreciating asset that could depreciate quicker than expected . Even if it doesn't you have your money tied up in a car .

Of course there are people out there who engage in bagernomics as I have seen it efectionately nicknamed (buying something cheap and running it into the ground) , or buy/finance something a few years old and then keep it for an extended period and all sorts of in between arrangements . But the good thing is the people that buy/lease brand new and keep them for a few years keep the people that buy used in supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.