• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford Bus Company/Thames Travel

higthomas

I have used the 11X just once, and that was only because the vehicle in use was one of their express coaches! From observation almost the sole use of the service is for staff between the depot and Queens Lane.
Yeah. That route always used to operate exclusively for drivers. I think a few years ago they thought since they're operating the service anyway, they might as well ope it to the public. Guess they get BSOG for it, and possibly some fare revenue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Given the 11X stops outside the BMW factory, I’d assumed they were involved in some way to get the service started.

It does seem rather niche, when the frequent 1/5 route isn’t far away.
The bus seems to get to the factory, any passengers get off, then any staff remain on whilst it goes to the depot and back. Whenever I've caught it there's been 2-4 passengers and a couple of staff (besides the driver).

MasterSpenny

I have been sent a photo of brand new Wrightbus Electroliner 713 (in actual fact, the plate in this post matches up to 701, therefore 701) in a Discord message (which I shall not add/link just in case the photo is copyrighted, but I will outline their external apperance). The registration for this example is BJ73WWE.

These are low height buses, like the Arriva Midlands batch, and are branded for the Brookesbus services.

Can’t say about the interior, as the only image I have seen is of the exterior.

Last edited:

higthomas

These are low height buses, like the Arriva Midlands batch, and are branded for the Brookesbus services.
I'm surprised about that. I thought the railway bridge was the only reason for the low height buses, and I was under the impression that was being raised durin the current works, so no need for low height buses going forward.

MasterSpenny

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I'm surprised about that. I thought the railway bridge was the only reason for the low height buses, and I was under the impression that was being raised durin the current works, so no need for low height buses going forward.
I'd imagine this is partly supporting future cascades, so many major Oxon roads are of a poor standard.

Parebunks

Rollout of the electrics is continuing, with 701-705, 708, and 710-714 now in service according to bustimes.org, and the Geminis replated (from plates ending OXF) in preparation for their transfer to the north-west in the new year. On the Oxford and Chiltern Bus Page, the managing director comments that
The other Brookes vehicles of the 701-721 batch are expected to be with us by the end of the year, as there are currently a number of buses in transit to us.

We are currently preparing fleet numbers 251-254 for transfer to Go South West.

Following this we are expecting to see fleet numbers 300-317 and 351-369 to cascade to other group companies, we haven't got confirmation yet which order these will go in however these will start leaving the fleet as we get into the new year.

In terms of the city livery which will apply to 722-791 and to single decks 492-495, this will be revealed at a launch event on 15th January along with a similar reveal from Stagecoach. I am aware that some photos have already circulated online however this does not show the final version of the livery.

The open tops will be fleet numbers 190-197
The only photos of that city livery I've seen are this and this from facebook - makes a change from the more traditional red!

Established Member
Rollout of the electrics is continuing, with 701-705, 708, and 710-714 now in service according to bustimes.org, and the Geminis replated (from plates ending OXF) in preparation for their transfer to the north-west in the new year. On the Oxford and Chiltern Bus Page, the managing director comments that

The only photos of that city livery I've seen are this and this from facebook - makes a change from the more traditional red!

Thanks for this useful update. Just to confirm, are the Kites being numbered 491-495?

Parebunks

Thanks again, wasn't aware the Kite order had been reduced since the company's news release a couple of months ago.
I have definitely seen it cited as 4 recently, but afraid I can't remember where! May be wrong though, will have to wait and see.

MasterSpenny

So it looks like the new front bumper is not just for TfL, but other cities bus services as well?

Here is another update for the StreetDeck Electroliner plates, taken from buslistsontheweb.co.uk.
716 - BJ73WWX
717 - BJ73WWY
718 - BJ73WWZ
719 - BJ73WXA
720 - BJ73WXB
721 - BJ73WXC

goldisgood

Any idea which route the single deck Kites are for?
The ZEBRA bid seemed to suggest the ST2 and 46, but I wonder whether the 11 or 11X are more likely? These maybe look a bit big for the former, and there certainly aren't enough single-deckers on order to remove the minibuses and baby Enviro 200 MMCs.
I have definitely seen it cited as 4 recently, but afraid I can't remember where! May be wrong though, will have to wait and see.
The Oxford Chiltern Bus Page suggests there will be 4 in City livery (link) but press releases suggest 5 are on order (link) - maybe one will be in a special livery (or livery for ST2 if they will run on that?)

Thames99

YY73TGZ is an AD Enviro 400MMC demonstrator which was in service on the X40 yesterday. It is dark blue with no fleet number that I could see.

Parebunks

YY73TGZ is an AD Enviro 400MMC demonstrator which was in service on the X40 yesterday. It is dark blue with no fleet number that I could see.
Tracking as fleet no 699 on bustimes.org. Seems to have been with Ipswich Buses and Coach Services of Norfolk in the past, can't see why Thames Travel would have it considering they're unlikely to be getting any more new buses for quite some time!

Mollman

Established Member
Tracking as fleet no 699 on bustimes.org. Seems to have been with Ipswich Buses and Coach Services of Norfolk in the past, can't see why Thames Travel would have it considering they're unlikely to be getting any more new buses for quite some time!
Might just be a loan or to compare against older E400s. The vehicles down for transfer to Go South West are the old X40 branded E400s and Buses has indicated at least two E400MMCs have transferred from Oxford to Thames - if they are being refurbished it could be a cover vehicle

jammy36

I believe the AD24 part of the Alexander Dennis business has been carrying out some work for Oxford Bus Company on their 66 plate Streetdecks (the AD24 workshops do repair, refurbishment and rebuild work on makes other than just ADL). It's possible that the vehicle is on loan to cover vehicles away at the AD24 workshops.

Parebunks

The Oxford Chiltern Bus Page suggests there will be 4 in City livery (link) but press releases suggest 5 are on order (link) - maybe one will be in a special livery (or livery for ST2 if they will run on that?)
Since seen on Facebook that one bus will be in a black livery for the Bicester Village shuttle, so I assume that accounts for the discrepancy - apologies to @507021 for the incorrect info! Not sure why the ZEBRA funding is being used for a privately funded route outside the bid area, though.

Last edited:

MasterSpenny

According to buslistsontheweb.co.uk, the GB Kites registrations have been identified. They are as follows:
491 - BJ73WXD
492 - BJ73WXE
493 - BJ73WXF
494 - BJ73WXG
495 - BJ73WXH

New Post / Update (13th of January 2024)
According to buslistsontheweb.co.uk, Wrightbus StreetDeck Electroliner 722 has been assigned BJ73WXK. The open top versions have been identified as the following:
Fleet CodeRegistration Plate
190BJ73WVW
191BJ73WVX
192BJ73WVY
193BJ73WVZ
194BJ73WWA
195BJ73WWB
196BJ73WWC
197BJ73WWD

Last edited:

Parebunks

Rollout of the Brookesbuses is now almost complete, with only 707, 715, 718 and 719 yet to be used in service (although 705 and 708 haven't been out since December). I would expect rollout to be entirely complete by Monday next week, when semester timetables start on the 100 and 400. Today was the launch event for the new livery (rather underreported, only in the Oxford and Daily Mails, which both gave less than glowing perspectives). Suspect this means buses in the 'electri*city*' livery will start appearing imminently.
In the interim, allocations with Oxford Bus have been crazy as the older Brookesbuses have been freed up and started to appear on pretty much every route - I saw examples today on the 3, 15, and X1. Have there been any updates from elsewhere on where displaced buses are expected to end up?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not sold on the livery, it just looks like one another bus company has done before (Stagecoach or Arriva? I forget. I think it's nearly the Arriva hybrid livery?)

The yellow and green Ox on the front looks particularly naff, though I think they've lost the idea of the shortened Ox, which was designed to run onto the wheel arch and not appear on its own.

JamesT

Established Member
Interesting that only the OBC electric buses have been shown so far. I understood both companies were getting them?

Parebunks

Interesting that only the OBC electric buses have been shown so far. I understood both companies were getting them?
Yes, Stagecoach is receiving an order roughly half the size - Alexander Dennis, but in essentially the same livery as the OBC Electroliners. I had understood both companies were going to have a launch event today, but only seen the OBC one so far. Stagecoach seem to be lower-key with vehicle launches (not a peep from them about the 15 new buses at Witney last year), so I expect they'll appear soon enough fairly quietly.
EDIT/OMISSION: looks like I missed an actual launch event, picture from a local pressure group's twitter here.

Last edited:
Have there been any updates from elsewhere on where displaced buses are expected to end up?

Keeping an eye on recent issues of the Oxford Chiltern Bus Page has alluded to where many of the buses are heading.

Former River Rapids E400s 251-254 are heading to Go South West, see https://www.oxford-chiltern-bus-page.co.uk/Weekly Briefing nr 281 211223.html

Former Hybrid E400s 300-317 are for cascade although I’ve seen no mention of where they will end up yet.

The Volvo Hybrids 351-369 have been widely reported on social media as heading for Go North West for Bee Network, hence have lost their cherished plates.

BrookesBus Streetdeck Hybrids 371-376, to Pulhams. Of these 371 and 372 have already transferred.

Some of the BrookesBus E400MMCs to Carousel, with 609 already being repainted and refurbished for the relaunched 102 as Flight Line. Probably a safe assumption they will gain more deckers than what is needed for the 102, to also withdraw the other older deckers (241-245, 938, 940, 841). Perhaps this will be the remaining Scania E400s from Oxford. The move of MMCs was mentioned by the MD on the below link https://www.oxford-chiltern-bus-page.co.uk/Weekly Briefing nr 283 110124.html

Some of the Streetdecks to Thames Travel to replace older double deckers there. Last I heard some Scania E400s would be made surplus so may be cascaded elsewhere.

All existing Citaros to be withdrawn across Oxford, Thames Travel and Carousel.

The pair of City Sightseeing Volvo B9TLs seem to be heading to Go North East, presumably for their Toon Tour after the DAF/Plaxton Presidents were recently stood down. A recent edit on bustimes suggests this, but as always could be wrong https://bustimes.org/vehicles/csso-632/history

LAIRA

300-317 were rumoured to be heading to South West but their 4 clynider engines were deemed to small to race around Cornwall, which has to be euro 6 by September.