• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford to Cowley (THA) branch re-opening

reddragon

Established Member
previous closed thread

Oxford City Council has agreed to fund the next stage in re-opening this line to the tune of £4.56m (see Council website below)

Oxford City Council has approved a £4.56m package to fund the detailed design and feasibility works required for the reopening of the Cowley Branch Line to passengers.

The proposal was agreed by Cabinet at a meeting on Wednesday 14 December.
This next stage of work will culminate in the production of what is called a Full Business Case (FBC). The FBC, delivered by Network Rail, will set out, amongst other things, how the project could be implemented, how it could be funded, including any proposed Government funding.
Completing this FBC work gives the best chance of the Cowley Branch Line project being funded – without it there is no guarantee that the project will move forward. As such, the move to fund this next stage of work is essential if the long held ambition to reopen the line is to be realised.

The FBC, which would include the approved designs for the rail infrastructure, new stations, and plans for walking, cycling and public transport connections to the surrounding neighbourhoods (existing and planned), is therefore a vital step in making the case for future funds to deliver the scheme.
Reopening the Cowley Branch Line to passengers is a key project identified within the Oxford Local Plan, the Oxfordshire Local Transport and Connectivity Plan and the Oxfordshire Rail Corridor Study. Over a number of years Oxford City Council and Oxfordshire County Council have been working with Network Rail, the Department for Transport, local land owners, and other stakeholders, on the plans.

These seek to reintroduce passenger services along the Cowley Branch Line, including two new stations in the south and east of Oxford, services which will significantly enhance rail connectivity to Oxford and beyond to Bicester and longer distance destinations. The line is currently used for freight services to and from the BMW Mini plant but has not had passenger services for decades.

The first proposed station would be next to the Oxford Science Park, Littlemore and the Ozone Leisure Complex, and would be called Oxford South. The second proposed station, called Oxford East, would be next to ARC Oxford (formerly Oxford Business Park), Oxford Retail Park and Blackbird Leys. Both stations would also be ideally located to serve new developments being planned in South Oxfordshire adjacent to the Science Park and at the nearby Northfields site.

While any future funding bid to deliver the Cowley Branch Line scheme will face considerable competition from other national infrastructure projects, the benefits from the scheme are considerable, including vastly improved connections for existing communities in south and east Oxford to central Oxford and beyond, as well as linking up major employment areas at Oxford Science Park, ARC Oxford, Oxford’s West End and city centre, and the new emerging life science quarter at Oxford North (near Oxford Parkway).

The project will also improve connectivity to London from these areas, which include some of the city’s most economically deprived wards, as well as key areas of employment, research and development and new housing/employment sites.
It is estimated trips between the new stations and Oxford station will take under ten minutes. The current planning proposal to be worked up through the next phase of work is for the introduction of a half-hourly direct service from the new stations to London Marylebone via Oxford, possibly utilising the existing Chiltern Railways service.
The local landowners which are proposing to contribute towards the £4.56m FBC funding total are ARC Oxford, Oxford Science Park and the Ellison Institute for Transformative Medicine. Funds are also being contributed by Oxford City Council and Oxfordshire County Council.

I understand that Network Rail have started this works to determine the design & feasibility of the reopening works.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Diedinium

Interesting, wondering if there's a longer term plan to restore the line as far as Wheatley or Thame?

I'm guessing this isn't the case as there appears to be a lot of development (houses, gardens etc) that have been built on the old route of the line - meaning they would need to take the expensive option of buying out the land again, or rerouting, which I guess is also expensive.

SynthD

No, this is converting a few miles from freight only to mixed use. The second station will be on the west side of Watlington Road, because the east side is owned by BMW.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interesting, wondering if there's a longer term plan to restore the line as far as Wheatley or Thame?
Definitely not. Was ruled out as ”impossible to build” during route selection some years ago, well before Chiltern extended to Oxford via Bicester.

The Planner

Veteran Member
No, this is converting a few miles from freight only to mixed use. The second station will be on the west side of Watlington Road, because the east side is owned by BMW.
That is where the original one was anyway. Can't see it abstracting many off the buses from Blackbird Leys myself.

I'm guessing this isn't the case as there appears to be a lot of development (houses, gardens etc) that have been built on the old route of the line - meaning they would need to take the expensive option of buying out the land again, or rerouting, which I guess is also expensive.
No chance of that. Chiltern looked at it and did Bicester instead.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
No chance of that. Chiltern looked at it and did Bicester instead.
Helped by having an oven ready traffic generator in the form of Bicester Village, of course, whereas the route via Thame doesn’t really serve anywhere of note and would have required a new bridge over the M40.

ExRes

Established Member
I realise that @Cowley is a Staff Member and Global Moderator, but a private branch line? I never knew just how many perks the moderators got :o

MarkyT

Established Member

Definitely not. Was ruled out as ”impossible to build” during route selection some years ago, well before Chiltern extended to Oxford via Bicester.
The old alignment is heavily built over through Wheatley. A minor diversion in that area would be impossible. A more significant ~7km reroute might be plausible, diverging from the old line at the current freight buffer-stop, tracing a path further south avoiding Horspath, Littleworth, and Wheatley. Would no doubt require some major engineering, including a fairly long tunnel through a ridge and a large bridge over the M40 junction and services. Likely uneconomic, unless part of a major long-distance route, and that ship sailed with the Chiltern routing via Bicester, which also serves the north side of Oxford better.

Cardiffian

As a former Oxford resident I'm delighted to see the new railway developments. I moved away just before Oxford Parkway was opened, though I've used the Marylebone-Oxford line since then.

After the Cowley branch meets the main line, it goes past Redbridge Park & Ride. An additional station there would offer a quicker route into Oxford than the buses! Also (just playing Devil's advocate) if the line were extended behind Wheatley to avoid more recent buildings, it could end at the M40 interchange with another parkway-type station. (see https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/51.7477/-1.1511)

This would give an eastern link from the M40 into the centre of Oxford that avoids the congestion at Headington. I know only too well how slow it can be from the Plain up Headington Hill to Thornhill P&R.

The Planner

Veteran Member
As a former Oxford resident I'm delighted to see the new railway developments. I moved away just before Oxford Parkway was opened, though I've used the Marylebone-Oxford line since then.

After the Cowley branch meets the main line, it goes past Redbridge Park & Ride. An additional station there would offer a quicker route into Oxford than the buses! Also (just playing Devil's advocate) if the line were extended behind Wheatley to avoid more recent buildings, it could end at the M40 interchange with another parkway-type station. (see https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/51.7477/-1.1511)

This would give an eastern link from the M40 into the centre of Oxford that avoids the congestion at Headington. I know only too well how slow it can be from the Plain up Headington Hill to Thornhill P&R.
As @MarkyT notes though, that is a big tunnel to get around Wheatley due to the hill.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Compulsory purchase and demolition of a limited number of properties along the route of a strategic rail project is not impossible. If there's a solid case for a line to be built, and the alternative route options are sufficiently expensive and/or problematic, then CPO is the right thing to do. So far it doesn't seem that it really is that important for the line to be reopened, so we haven't had to think much about it. A local council can look at it and say it's impossible really just because it isn't possible to do it with their budget of whatever coins they can find down the back of the sofa.

The only real opportunity I can see for this line to be reopened is as part of a much wider expansion of the Oxford urban area. This isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Not allowing Oxford to grow has resulted in an insane state of affairs where world-leading life sciences businesses can't find any space for labs, nor homes for prospective employees. A government which gets around to tackling this (essentially by circumventing traditional NIMBYism and/or local development scepticism) wouldn't see a rail line reopening as any real challenge whatsoever. The leftover land from the CPO in towns and villages would be ripe for development of new and denser housing.

JamesT

Established Member
Before you can even think about Wheatley, I’d be wondering how you get out of the Mini factory. There doesn’t seem to be much space either side of the current line to shift the sidings used for loading cars.
Unfortunately the extension of the Botley Road bridge works have delayed them, but I’d be wanting to see the effect of the proposed traffic filters before looking at using the train to supplement the park and rides.
Hopefully the work on the full business case will give more details on the stations and bus integration than what we have so far. The railway acts as a barrier between either side, so providing foot/cycle crossing at the station sites would be welcome. The Oxford East site is up on an embankment, so a subway would seem obvious to provide access from both sides.
I’m also hoping that buses could be added or rerouted to run close to the station sites. It would make it more attractive to some areas inside the ring road if it’s quicker to get to the new stations than going all the way into the city centre.

MarkyT

Established Member
Before you can even think about Wheatley, I’d be wondering how you get out of the Mini factory. There doesn’t seem to be much space either side of the current line to shift the sidings used for loading cars.
It's very tight at the west end of the site, but the car loading seems to take place at the eastern end, where there's more space for reconfiguring the facilities and separating passenger and freight lines. The logistics building to the south of the railway at the west end is very close to the tracks today and restoration of a second line through the length of the site might require some alterations to its structure (at least it's not the assembly shop!). Configuration through the factory might best be one dedicated freight track to act as a reception line and headshunt from which the loading sidings diverge, alongside a single bi-di passenger line. West of the factory connection, a conventional up/down pair arrangement might commence towards Kennington.

I had assumed the railway inside the factory would be BMW-owned but the http://map.whoownsengland.org map shows it all NR, including the site of the logistics centre which looks like it has been rail-connected in the past. (caveat, map uses 2016 data so property may have changed hands since):

1693914926343.png

cle

Established Member
It's a very expensive turnback/platform also.... especially if 4tph to Bletchley are coming!

Glad to see it being progressed. Curious what 450m buys, as compared to say, Okehampton, this is pretty steep.

I can't see the details but can we assume a menu of double tracked, signals, two platform stations, wires even... or all of those?

reddragon

Established Member
It's a very expensive turnback/platform also.... especially if 4tph to Bletchley are coming!

Glad to see it being progressed. Curious what 450m buys, as compared to say, Okehampton, this is pretty steep.

I can't see the details but can we assume a menu of double tracked, signals, two platform stations, wires even... or all of those?
If you read the original article that includes the full Oxford Station capacity upgrade currently under way and the parkway station already built.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Won't it be the Chiltern Oxfords that are extended to Cowley, in which case wires wouldn't serve much purpose!

cle

Established Member
If you read the original article that includes the full Oxford Station capacity upgrade currently under way and the parkway station already built.
It's 8 years old and as you mention, some of the work is underway or funded in other ways. So curious what it entails today - but I guess that is the job of the latest announcement and FBC!

zwk500

Veteran Member
Compulsory purchase and demolition of a limited number of properties along the route of a strategic rail project is not impossible.
Cutting the corner to allow a third route to Oxford is somewhat stretching the definition of 'strategic'

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Also the original tunnel there is now frequented by bats, another reason that Chiltern preferred to go via Bicester.
I can't believe that bats were seriously a reason for Chiltern not using the old route. If they discovered bats in St Johns Wood Tunnel tomorrow, would they stop using Marylebone?

Dr Day

The journey to Oxford station from east Oxford by rail may only take 10 minutes, but is a half-hourly frequency really going to be attractive relative to a bus, especially for people going to the city centre which is still a bit of a walk from the station? Still wondering if this is a solution looking for a problem, but given the scheme has clearly got through the preliminary business case stages someone must have been convinced that rail solves the problem in question and the financial side of the business case stacks up relative to spending money on alternative transport schemes.

Gloster

Established Member
I would think that it is intended for inward commuting to the area around the line from outside Oxford, with a bit of travel to the main station for onward journeys. I doubt that there would be many using it to get to the centre of the city.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Cutting the corner to allow a third route to Oxford is somewhat stretching the definition of 'strategic'

The only reason that Oxford and Cambridge aren't developing into cities today is that government policy prevents them from doing so. If that policy changes (which it may well do, given that it's the lowest-hanging fruit available for economic growth today) then quite a lot of other policies will have to change too.

Better rail links wouldn't be about allowing the good citizens of Oxford to get to their jobs in London; they'd be about making it easier for people across the region to reach their high-paid scientific research jobs in car-unfriendly Oxford.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The only reason that Oxford and Cambridge aren't developing into cities today is that government policy prevents them from doing so. If that policy changes (which it may well do, given that it's the lowest-hanging fruit available for economic growth today) then quite a lot of other policies will have to change too.

Better rail links wouldn't be about allowing the good citizens of Oxford to get to their jobs in London; they'd be about making it easier for people across the region to reach their high-paid scientific research jobs in car-unfriendly Oxford.
There's a rather large-scale rail project connecting Oxford and Cambridge through rail (with plenty of government money) currently in progress. And that at least has the strategic benefit of allowing (mainly freight) trains from the south west to access the WCML without going into London.

JamesT

Established Member

Develop into cities? Oxford has been a city for hundreds of years.

The Cowley branch has stations near the science and business parks, so does assist with those incoming commuters.

But we should be pushing to get that actually built, not going into flights of fancy about reinstating parts of the old Wycombe Railway.

Diedinium

"Car unfriendly Oxford"

Ah, a true "One more lane bro" believer - let's demolish half of Oxford to build beautiful 8 lane motorways, I'm sure that'll improve the place compared to building railways.