• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parebunks

Oxford Tube website promising 'big news' on September 25th: https://www.oxfordtube.com/OctoberServiceChange.aspx
Inspection of the route registration using bustimes.org reveals what this is:
To increase the numbers journeys per day. Some journeys now starting at Carterton. Some journeys now serving High Wycombe.
High Wycombe stop at least seems like a good idea, very odd that there isn't a direct coach to London from the coachway. West Oxfordshire's been tried before with the SW1, which only lasted six months in 2014, but that was a very lacklustre effort - 2 a day on weekends only. Could be successful if given a bit more oomph, given the lack of a direct train from Witney or Carterton. The Tube as exists at present has been pretty much full whenever I've been on it in the last year, so upping the frequency generally definitely seems natural. Will be very interesting to see the actual timetable!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

padbus

It has been done before. City of Oxford's fast London-Oxford service was extended to Witney and Carterton in 1979 running hourly. This went through various changes as the Oxford-London section was increased in frequency with the Oxford-Carterton section not always keeping up. When City of Oxford's country services were hived off to South Midland, these included the London-Carterton service. In 1983, South Midland was advertising a half hourly service but alternate journeys required a change of bus in Oxford. However by 1984 all journeys required a change of bus in Oxford to City of Oxford's 190 service.

I suspect the big problem back then was traffic congestion, both in London and Oxford, causing time keeping problems and that will still be the same today, unless the Carterton-London journeys by-pass Oxford altogether.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
High Wycombe stop at least seems like a good idea
Am I right in thinking this means Stagecoach will now get BSOG (bus service operators grant) for the Lewknor–High Wycombe section?

Last edited by a moderator:

RELL6L

I would be very surprised if any journeys were diverted via the centre of High Wycombe, this would add considerable time to the journey and they would be overtaken by the next one. Wycombe Coachway perhaps, although at busy times I can see that could add 10-15 minutes to the journey.

Heading west of Oxford is interesting. I can't see it working running through via Oxford (except perhaps a token early am or late night journey), it would take so long and stand no chance of competing with the car. Going round the northern bypass though, perhaps diverting a mile or so in and out to serve Summertown, that could have some attraction. Like East Oxford it is a long way from the station, there are students, could be a market. Journeys coming this way could bolster the main service at the Park and Ride and Lewknor stops too.

Where will they get the coaches for an increase though?

Await with interest....

markymark2000

On Moderation
I think they already do,since Lewknor was added years ago
They won't be being paid BSOG between Lewknor and High Wycombe though when they don't currently serve High Wycombe.

In response to Doctor Fegg, they could get paid BSOG but it depends how the government sees it as technically it is a longer distance route and it is advertised and registered as such.

Where will they get the coaches for an increase though?
Will it need additional coaches or will it be just increasing the use of the existing coaches? Bearing in mind the buses are more frequent on Saturdays than Mon-Fri (and looking at the timetables, it's a higher PVR on Saturdays). Diversions into High Wycombe could be late evening/early morning trips which wouldn't increase overall PVR. Carterton could be buses which start/finish their day extending so again, not increasing the overall PVR.

Simon75

On Moderation
They won't be being paid BSOG between Lewknor and High Wycombe though when they don't currently serve High Wycombe.

In response to Doctor Fegg, they could get paid BSOG but it depends how the government sees it as technically it is a longer distance route and it is advertised and registered as such.
What I meant was they get BSOG , since Lewknor was added as stop

Parebunks

In a Facebook comment someone (whose name I recognise working for Oxfordshire County Council in a bus related role) claimed Carterton will be four AM journeys in, three PM journeys back, weekdays only. Nothing else to back this up for now, but seems pretty credible, if disappointing.

duncombec

What is the current status of journeys that run in from elsewhere in Oxfordshire using Oxford Tube (OT) coaches? There were times when some "regular" services in from Wantage, Bicester and possibly Carteron/Witney were operated using OT vehicles? Could these just be moving the Carterton journeys to the OT timetable?

Parebunks

What is the current status of journeys that run in from elsewhere in Oxfordshire using Oxford Tube (OT) coaches? There were times when some "regular" services in from Wantage, Bicester and possibly Carteron/Witney were operated using OT vehicles? Could these just be moving the Carterton journeys to the OT timetable?
Carterton's never had those as far as I'm aware, and Wantage and Bicester were both pandemic casualties.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
The Wantage journey (X30/latterly X9) was scrapped whenever it was that the S8 (which had provided the outward journey) was transferred to Go-Ahead (first Thames Travel, later OBC) as the X1. I think the Bicester (S5) journey has gone, too. I don't recall any Carterton/Witney journeys (SW1 apart), at least not in the past decade or so.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What I meant was they get BSOG , since Lewknor was added as stop

While it is a useful unofficial park and ride (with cars left under the bridge, or at least they were) Lewknor was put in so BSOG could be claimed, wasn't it?

There's a similar example of a stop being put in for BSOG "claimability" purposes that has become very popular on its own - the stops by Kingston and just off the M1 at Luton on the Stagecoach 99. Lots of people travel between those two stops particularly at warehouse shift change times.

RELL6L

Would there be sufficient custom from Carterton and Witney to justify missing Oxford city centre? Although such services would (presumably) still serve Thornhill Park & Ride.
There might be if it goes a mile or so down the Woodstock Road, across then back up the Banbury Road with a couple of stops to pick up demand in Summertown - I wouldn't like to guess. As you say these journeys can bolster services at Thornhill Park and Ride - and Lewknor. If coaches are full and not picking up here a couple of extra journeys doing this - assuming not full from the new destinations - would help.

Parebunks

There might be if it goes a mile or so down the Woodstock Road, across then back up the Banbury Road with a couple of stops to pick up demand in Summertown - I wouldn't like to guess. As you say these journeys can bolster services at Thornhill Park and Ride - and Lewknor. If coaches are full and not picking up here a couple of extra journeys doing this - assuming not full from the new destinations - would help.
I think Banbury Road - Marston Ferry Road - London Road would make more sense - potential for extra stops at Marston and Headington, similar journey time considering bypass traffic, and a lot easier physically considering the tight turns and very narrow roads between Woodstock and Banbury Roads.

RELL6L

I think Banbury Road - Marston Ferry Road - London Road would make more sense - potential for extra stops at Marston and Headington, similar journey time considering bypass traffic, and a lot easier physically considering the tight turns and very narrow roads between Woodstock and Banbury Roads.
Possibly, but going through Marston can get pretty slow, as can Headington, this would put off through traffic and I don't think Marston is an area that would produce much traffic. Maybe Banbury Road, Marston Ferry Road and back on the bypass at the Marston junction?

Falcon1200

Established Member
Maybe Banbury Road, Marston Ferry Road and back on the bypass at the Marston junction?

But that would mean going along Marsh Lane, where I grew up and where my Mum still lives! Although a few express coaches wouldn't make a big difference to the non-stop traffic on the road (which was once a quiet dead end). Maybe, go via Headington and the JR Hospital.

Parebunks

And there's now a timetable, attatched to the consultation for the route's London Service Permit modification, here. West Oxon services stop Carterton, Witney, Eynsham (Evenlode), the very edge of Summertown at Oxford North, then nothing to Thornhill, and are indeed 4 inward in the AM, 3 back in the PM. Otherwise there seem to be two route variations - one is as present, but there's also roughly hourly services on weekdays only following the current 'express' route via Baker Street, with the addition of Hillingdon and High Wycombe. Slightly odd that there's nothing to Wycombe on weekends! Generally, seems to be an improvement across the board.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
And there's now a timetable, attatched to the consultation for the route's London Service Permit modification, here. West Oxon services stop Carterton, Witney, Eynsham (Evenlode), the very edge of Summertown at Oxford North, then nothing to Thornhill, and are indeed 4 inward in the AM, 3 back in the PM. Otherwise there seem to be two route variations - one is as present, but there's also roughly hourly services on weekdays only following the current 'express' route via Baker Street, with the addition of Hillingdon and High Wycombe. Slightly odd that there's nothing to Wycombe on weekends! Generally, seems to be an improvement across the board.
Unfortunately that link doesn't seem to work.

busesrusuk

A bit of a shame that they couldn't send a few to High Wycombe in the late evenings (incl Saturdays) to cater for nights out in London - last train leaves Marylebone around midnight and its a mad dash across town to catch it..

RELL6L

These changes are really interesting. The journeys from Carterton and Witney are, I guess, testing the market to see if there is one and I guess the only extra cost is leaving the depot early, running empty out west and coming back (I really doubt that any will be outstationed at Witney), they probably provide capacity which is needed from Thornhill anyway and also test North oxford. I wonder where the stop will be - it might just be on the bypass near the Cutteslowe roundabout. Not sure about the High Wycombe coachway stops, are they meant for London or Oxford or both? I could see a market for Oxford but the first arrival is 8.49 and last departure is 17.05 and with some long gaps during the day, but again they are probably just testing the market.

I can see why there are no weekend stops. The coaches are very busy at weekends and often full. So how would it work if a Wycombe journey was full when it left Oxford? No room for anyone from Wycombe and wait another hour? Very difficult. I guess during the week this is less likely, maybe the drivers will be instructed to leave x seats.

It will be very interesting to see how this goes.

Parebunks

These changes are really interesting. The journeys from Carterton and Witney are, I guess, testing the market to see if there is one and I guess the only extra cost is leaving the depot early, running empty out west and coming back (I really doubt that any will be outstationed at Witney), they probably provide capacity which is needed from Thornhill anyway and also test North oxford. I wonder where the stop will be - it might just be on the bypass near the Cutteslowe roundabout. Not sure about the High Wycombe coachway stops, are they meant for London or Oxford or both? I could see a market for Oxford but the first arrival is 8.49 and last departure is 17.05 and with some long gaps during the day, but again they are probably just testing the market.

I can see why there are no weekend stops. The coaches are very busy at weekends and often full. So how would it work if a Wycombe journey was full when it left Oxford? No room for anyone from Wycombe and wait another hour? Very difficult. I guess during the week this is less likely, maybe the drivers will be instructed to leave x seats.

It will be very interesting to see how this goes.
High Wycombe will be for the London market - the Oxford Bus Company's Airline already has Oxford-Wycombe every 20 minutes 24 hours/day, and the Tube just can't compete with that even if prices are lower. Good to see the Coachway actually getting some use, though!

higthomas

They've actually announced the changes at https://www.oxfordtube.com/OctoberServiceChange.aspx pretty much as discussed, although I'd missed the general frequency enhancements.

We’ve listened to feedback from our team and our customers and are making big changes to ensure that the Oxford Tube remains the number one coach choice for travelling between Oxford and London​

Our core Oxford Tube service is a roaring success, so much so that we know at weekends in particular demand for the service is very high.
We have identified opportunities to increase our capacity and provide more trips to London without disrupting the core route to improve your experience of travelling with us.
These improvements enable us to retain the renowned Oxford to London service you know and value whilst seeking new ways to make it even better.

You can expect the following improvements from 23rd October 2023:

New connections

From 23rd October we’ll be introducing some weekday trips via:
Carterton/Witney/Eynsham
These early morning commuter trips will originate in West Oxfordshire picking up from the following stops:
Carterton Crossroads
Minster Lovel A40 flyover
Witney Market Square
Eynsham (Evenlode A40)
Oxford North (next to the BMW Garage)

This new route will then bypass Oxford city centre serving Thornhill only before continuing the normal route to London.
Four outbound journeys will operate in the morning, with three returning journeys later in the afternoon.
View new Carterton and Witney stops

High Wycombe
This hourly route will begin in Oxford city centre as usual but will serve High Wycombe coach way after Lewknor and then will travel to Hillingdon and Baker Street into London as per the current express route – providing additional links to Baker Street.
Ten round tips will operate daily, except for weekends.
The core Oxford Tube route and the express trips that run via Baker Street will remain unchanged.
View new stops in High Wycombe

View our route and stop variations from 26th October 2023

Improved frequency

Great news; we’ll be increasing service levels across the board with frequency improved to 8-12 mins on a Saturday (10-15 mins Mon to Fri) and up to 20 minutes into the night.
This will provide more capacity at weekends and during the week, including lates and nights. We truly present a 24/7 service; offering a reliable option for those late-night socialites.
We're still finalising the timetable, it'll be uploaded here shortly.

More coaches

To deliver more services we need more coaches and so this package of improvements will see us introduce more coaches back into the fleet.

And all with the same fair pricing – no add on charges, what you see is what you pay​

We keep things simple at Oxford Tube. Our coach fares are always the same, whatever time of day or day of the week you travel.
Peak and off-peak charges aren’t applicable here and neither are added costs for bringing luggage.
No surprises, just great value coach travel.

We’re really excited to deliver these enhancements in recognition of our commitment to the Oxford Tube. We are dedicated to continuing to provide this key route for commuters and leisure seekers as well as explore new stop locations to boost its development and long-term sustainability.​

Hophead

Established Member
It seems to me that they have seen a huge growth in passengers at weekends (Saturdays in particular) and, to meet that demand, they need to find something for the coaches to do during the week (High Wycombe & Carterton are both Monday - Friday only services). I hope that they can differentiate the 4 different routes they will be operating to avoid taking people where they don't want to go.

MasterSpenny

MasterSpenny

50452 is now in a poppy livery (it is that one, zoom in on the image in the below link)

Stagecoach West unveils poppy-liveried Oxford Tube coach​

Stagecoach West has unveiled a Plaxton Panorama coach in its Oxford Tube fleet that has been treated to a poppy-themed livery ahead of Remembrance Sunday. It complements a number of buses elsewhere in the group that already carry poppy-themed designs.

The design on the Panorama was created with support from the Armed Forces Covenant and the Ministry of Defence. It is what Stagecoach West Managing Director Rachel Geliamassi says is “a longer-term gesture of appreciation and gratitude” for the service and sacrifice of armed forces members.

Debut of the coach sits alongside Stagecoach’s wider offer of free travel to veterans, serving military personnel and cadets on its services, including the Oxford Tube, on Armistice Day (11 November) and Remembrance Sunday (12 November).

Defence Relationship Management National Account Manager Sam Berkson has thanked Stagecoach for its backing. “It is clear that Stagecoach recognises the benefits of being a Forces-friendly employer and I look forward to its continued support for defence and advocacy for its people.”

Adds Stagecoach Chief Operating Officer Sam Greer: “Stagecoach is proud to have thousands of veterans in our employment, so recognising the significance of remembrance weekend with free travel is vital.

“Remembrance Day and the Poppy Appeal are causes close to the hearts of many of our employees and customers, and we are very pleased to be making this commitment that will hopefully help people to attend memorials across the UK.”

The ongoing free travel commitment, which includes Armed Forces Day in the summer, underlines Stagecoach’s commitment to its employee-led, UK-wide Veterans’ Network.

That was established to allow those working for Stagecoach and who have served in the military to come together as a single voice to make changes, raise awareness, help to influence decisions within the business, and introduce new ways of working.

The group’s work with the armed forces saw it claim a silver award from the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme in July. That scheme acknowledges organisations that pledge, demonstrate or advocate support for the armed forces community and which align their values with the Armed Forces Covenant. Stagecoach has been a member of the latter since 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.