Oyster Card - removing railcard discount

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by johntea, 15 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johntea

johntea Member

My 16-25 railcard runs out next Tuesday (boo hiss!).

I have an Oyster card for London travel which is linked up to my railcard, will this automatically unlink once the railcard runs out or do I have to do something?

2. maniacmartin

maniacmartin Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

This will happen automatically. When you loaded the railcard into the Oyster card, the clerk will have been prompted to key in its expiry date.

3. Tom B

Tom B Established Member

As above. If you present it to a ticket office or ticket machine, or look online, it'll say "Young Persons Railcard discount - until dd/mm/yyyy".

4. johntea

johntea Member

Thanks for that. As you can tell, I don't venture to London that often :lol:

5. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Member

Is the same true of a Senior RC discount?
    Or, to put it another way - when a new SCRC is bought, does the discount have to be re-applied?

6. causton

causton Established Member

In short, yes :)

7. mrmartin

mrmartin Member

Annoyingly, they don't seem to notice that railcards can be 3 years, so they always expire and you end up not noticing for a fair few journies, then you need to get them to reapply it.

8. causton

Eh?

For the person adding the discount, you just type in an expiry date. If you type in a date three years away, the discount will stay for three years. If you type in a date one year away, it will expire in one year! Perhaps the person who added yours did it wrong...!

9. John @ home

John @ home Established Member Fares Advisor

If you ask at any Underground or Overground ticket office for a print-out of recent Oyster journeys, this will include the expiry date of any National Railcard attached to Oyster card.

10. causton

I am sure it will tell you on the new ticket machines* as well :) - when I applied Railcard discounts to Oyster cards I always printed out the recent journeys to show the discount was applied and what date it was applied to.

*same ticket machines, better software these days though!

11. Bullfield WEst

Bullfield WEst Member

I have in the past applied a Senior Railcard to my Oyster Card. On checking the website (I'm in Bolton) to check, I can't find anything listed or how to apply again. Any one able to point me in a good direction please?

12. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

If you call the helpline they should be able to confirm the current status. If it needs renewing it will have to be done at a tube station because data has to be written to the physical card.

13. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Member

14. bluegoblin7

bluegoblin7 Member

There was a (Recently corrected) issue with adding three year expiry dates for some railcard types, although staff should have pointed this out.

As I say, this is now resolved and all railcards available for three years can be flagged as such.

If you want a discount explicitly removing (Loss or theft of the railcard, for instance) this can also be done both at a ticket office and on the machines, otherwise it will drop off automatically when the expiry date is reached.

15. causton

Interesting - as non-LU staff I never heard about that issue! But now we don't do Oyster anyway, so hope all the ones I registered went okay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.