• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster pay as you go delay repay - would touch in at last minute matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyY

Yesterday, the 21:33 and 21:49 trains from City Thameslink to Mill Hill Broadway were cancelled due to broken rail. The next train which ran was 22:10.

I did not know about the cancellation until I arrived at the station at 21:30. Rather than touch in immediately and wait 40 minutes, I decided to hang around the area until 22:00.

For the first time in a while, I was using Oyster pay as you go. Unlike paper season ticket or travelcard, when I make a delay repay claim, I have to submit the Oyster card statement which shows the touch in time.

Can they argue that because I did not touch in until 10 minutes before departure, I was not delayed for 40 minutes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick66

I would just put the timetabled time of departure and the length of delay. At some stations you will never touch in until the platform is announced. I know City isn’t one of those but there’s nothing once you get through the barriers and a couple of coffee shops outside IIRC so totally reasonable. You don’t have to explain yourself unless they reject it.

AndyY

Nick66, thank you for your reply.
I am pleased to inform you that the claim has been approved the day after it was submitted, and I will get back 50% of what was paid. This is the fastest approval I have ever seen.
Did you approve my claim by any chance? :)

vinnym70

That feels like automatic approval based on the trains you had intended to travel on. I've had similar on AGA where claims are approved faster than could possibly expected where human intervention was required. I guess there's some TOCs/journeys/third-party-claim-processors that know a certain journey on a certain train WAS delayed sufficiently to receive compensation to the requested amount without any further diligence being undertaken? Or Nick66 is a great guy. I guess either option is open to interpretation? :)

Nick66

No I can’t take the credit! I’ve nothing to do with any TOC just a regular traveller who has made a few claims over the months.

Status
Not open for further replies.