• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster to Gatwick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

silverfoxcc

I note from the latest London Connections map that Gatwick will be on PAYG from about April.
What Zone would it be, I'm thinking 7. and how will it differentiate between an ordinary Southern Gatwick-Victoria service and the Gatwick Express? once you have gon past the barrier

sarahj

Established Member
Its roughly, if your not on what is called a Gatwick Express, don't go through the barriers at platform 13 & 14 at victoria if you tapped in at Gatwick.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
and how will it differentiate between an ordinary Southern Gatwick-Victoria service and the Gatwick Express? once you have gon past the barrier
The 'Express' is very ordinary too these days.

It differentiates based on the use of platforms 13/14 at Victoria.

In order to avoid paying through the nose, you need to avoid using contactless/Oyster PAYG when using GTR's Gatwick Express route... or only use the Gat Ex route if you see a train in one of the other platforms ;)

nicksterv

I seem to have been charged an extra £1.15 for continuing my journey on the tube from Victoria instead of breaking it - I have a Z1-2 annual travelcard with the gold card entitlement loaded, so would have assumed that that journey would be free. I'm not sure why it's charged me extra (assume it's something to do with an OSI, but that still doesn't make much sense...)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-01-08-51-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-01-08-51-24.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 75

island

Veteran Member
It's because you turned your journey into a mixed mode NR/TfL journey.

Pardon? So TfL charges again for a journey leg (Vic to Oxford Circus) already covered by a travelcard just for the privilege of offering a ticketing system that works both on main line and tube trains???:o

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Pardon? So TfL charges again for a journey leg (Vic to Oxford Circus) already covered by a travelcard just for the privilege of offering a ticketing system that works both on main line and tube trains???:o

Yes they do (but are not meant to). It's cropped up before.

Insist on a refund!

Anyone want to do an awkward FOi request? ;) I bet loads of people haven't claimed refunds! And I bet they have no records of how many!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Contact the Oyster helpline immediately. That shouldn't happen.
it shouldn't but does.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes they do (but are not meant to). It's cropped up before.

Insist on a refund!

Anyone want to do an awkward FOi request? ;) I bet loads of people haven't claimed refunds! And I bet they have no records of how many!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
it shouldn't but does.

I don't think a refund request will get you very far. Outside of zones 1-6 the premium for travel on both NR and LU can apply to all zones, not just journeys involving zone 1. Another example is the 20p-50p extra you are charged to get from Dartford to Cutty Sark over the fare to Greenwich.

Gatwick to Tooting Bec costs £1.15 more than Gatwick to Balham even though both involve only zones 3-6 within the zones. It is well known that Oyster charges for the overall journey made, so when the journey becomes NR+LU that is what you are charged. You can always touch on a bus (which is free with a travelcard) at Victoria before going down to the Underground.

island

Veteran Member
I have had issues in the past on Kidbrooke to Heathrow Terminal 5 whilst holding a Z1-3 Travelcard. Got refunded by the helpline each time after some debate. Now I just don't touch in/out at Kidbrooke, which circumvents the problem. Appreciate that isn't an option in the above case due to ticket gates.

James H

From an official answer published by Sadiq Khan tonight:

Since the launch in mid-January 2016, the use of Oyster and contactless to and from Gatwick has gone from strength to strength. Some 20,000 journeys a week were made in the first week. By early June, the weekly figure had risen to over 60,000 journeys and it is continuing to increase.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
From an official answer published by Sadiq Khan tonight:
Quote:
Since the launch in mid-January 2016, the use of Oyster and contactless to and from Gatwick has gone from strength to strength. Some 20,000 journeys a week were made in the first week. By early June, the weekly figure had risen to over 60,000 journeys and it is continuing to increase.

It would be interesting to know whether they are travelling to 'Southern' destinations where the fares are generally good value, on Gatwick Express or to other destinations where the fares are not so good.

NathanPrior

The shock that come upon my face when you have to have a minimum of £14 on it to tap in at Gatwick going towards London. I had enough for the journey to East Croydon, but had to add more money that I will never use on it just to get past the bloody barriers. It's utterly shambolic.

PeterC

Established Member
Oyster to Gatwick was a political decision not an operational one. Oyster was never intended for journeys that far out of London.

NathanPrior

I had more than enough to make the £3 trip from Gatwick to East Croydon, which now means I have £8.70on my Oyster that I won't ever use.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I had more than enough to make the £3 trip from Gatwick to East Croydon, which now means I have £8.70on my Oyster that I won't ever use.

Well if you're sure you'll never use transport in London again, go onto the TfL website and request a refund. Your card will be cancelled and you'll also get the deposit back.

NathanPrior

Well if you're sure you'll never use transport in London again, go onto the TfL website and request a refund. Your card will be cancelled and you'll also get the deposit back.

I need it just for my Zones 1-4 Travelcard, I don't go out of boundary very often so theres no point in me having any credit on it with the travelcard too.

JaJaWa

Established Member
...but had to add more money that I will never use on it just to get past the bloody barriers. It's utterly shambolic.

Why didn't you just purchase a paper ticket (or touch in with a bank card)??

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

I need it just for my Zones 1-4 Travelcard, I don't go out of boundary very often so theres no point in me having any credit on it with the travelcard too.

Ah, so you may use it, just not in the near future. Accurate information tends to give rise to accurate answers.

Unfortunately there seems to be only one way of getting your money back at the moment. That is to cancel the Oyster card. This can be done at the end of your current travelcard.

I do agree that this is a ridiculous situation. It seems that this is yet another by product of the GTR/DfT driven shambles. If your travelcard is an annual one with plenty of time left, I'd be inclined to write to TfL stating your intention to charge interest on the loan you are providing them with.

Status
Not open for further replies.