• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacer and Sprinter replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Here's an idea...

1. C2C need more trains to meet current demand (there was talk of them getting 321s)

2. The 357s that they currently use have no corridor connection, despite being used in eight/twelve coach formation

3. A new order of eighty five/ ninety replacement trains (with corridor connections) would allow C2C to expand their fleet to meet demand whilst benefitting from user friendly corridor connections

4. The seventy four 357s are four coach units, which would be plenty to cover the Valleys (say thirty EMUs), the Lancashire Triangle (another thirty?) and replace a good few other EMUs too...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Something told me someone might mention the 357s. I spent nearly ten years around them if you don't mind! They're boring! If they then go to Cardiff as well... sigh...

Do the Valley Lines really need a seating capacity of 284 per set? And can I extend this argument to 323s as well, which are only slightly behind? I would however suggest that they could do for the Triangle, and possibly also for any local Preston to Blackpool North services that may spring up.

pemma

Veteran Member
With Transpennine and MML electrification seemingly quite solidly on the cards at the moment, my personal grand plan would see the entire 323 fleet moved to Northerns' East side, presuming that those two previously named electrification projects were carried out to their fullest extent to grant Yorkshire a largely electrified commuter rail network.

Why?

If anything they'll be 321s replaced by new stock in other franchises, so a larger 32x fleet could be built up in Yorkshire to run more electric services.

Batman

If we're talking about cascading 323's away from London Midland, please don't suggest replacing them with 350's.

That would not be possible because of the 6 car platform on the Cross City line which means that any replacement would need to be 3 car units, preferable with through corridors and all standard class, high density deating.

For anyone who doesn't know the area, platform extansions on the Cross city line would be very difficault because there are island platforms (at Lichfield City, Four Oaks and Duddeston) and platforms that are boxed in by junctions at eithere end (Aston and Barnt Green).

pemma

Veteran Member
For what though?

If Thamealink takes over the two Peterborough services and the two "semi fast" Cambridge ones then the only FCC routes left will be Cambridge fasts (replaced by IEP) and the Moorgate services (which 365s would be useless for).

Yeah I wasn't thinking about the height restrictions on Moorgate services. Really the sensible thing to do there will be when Merseytravel actually get round to placing the 507/8 replacement order for FCC to order more of the same. However, due to different franchisors and having to issue tenders I can't see that actually happening.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Something told me someone might mention the 357s. I spent nearly ten years around them if you don't mind! They're boring! If they then go to Cardiff as well... sigh...

Do the Valley Lines really need a seating capacity of 284 per set? And can I extend this argument to 323s as well, which are only slightly behind? I would however suggest that they could do for the Triangle, and possibly also for any local Preston to Blackpool North services that may spring up.

Boring? Explain...

They have been perfectly functional modern units when I've used them, they seem suitable for the job they do apart from the fact that (1) there's no corridor connection for 8/12 coach services and (2) there aren't enough 357s to meet demand on the old LTS services.

There'd be enough 357s (74) to cover the Valleys *and* Lancashire (esp with the Scottish TPE services being run by 350s). Since a number of the Valleys/ Lancashire services are run by doubled up Pacers I think a 357 would cover existing demand as well as allowing for extra growth in the future.

Yeah I wasn't thinking about the height restrictions on Moorgate services. Really the sensible thing to do there will be when Merseytravel actually get round to placing the 507/8 replacement order for FCC to order more of the same. However, due to different franchisors and having to issue tenders I can't see that actually happening.

I completely agree with you there - I'd plan for one big batch of dual voltage units for these two franchises, with the bonus that they could then be used for services beyond the current Merseyrail boundaries (Birkenhead - Crewe via Chester, Liverpool - Wigan via Kirkby, Liverpool - Preston via Ormskirk etc, depending on future electrification).

Wish things were that simple.

Ivo

Established Member
357s are functional and certainly get the job done. But... like many modern EMUs, they're somewhat lifeless. They are almost too reliable. And given the massive multitude of Electrostars around the south-east, the problem is compounded.

302s and 312s (not so much 310s) had a soul to them. They felt like a unit you would enjoy travelling on. Whereas 357s just feel like something that takes you from A to B. To illustrate the point, I do not like 321s, and that is well-known - but I will usually return to Bath from Southend Victoria to avoid having to use 357s in both directions.

Mind you, the line doesn't help. Maybe they would feel better in the Valleys?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
357s are functional and certainly get the job done. But... like many modern EMUs, they're somewhat lifeless. They are almost too reliable. And given the massive multitude of Electrostars around the south-east, the problem is compounded.

302s and 312s (not so much 310s) had a soul to them. They felt like a unit you would enjoy travelling on. Whereas 357s just feel like something that takes you from A to B. To illustrate the point, I do not like 321s, and that is well-known - but I will usually return to Bath from Southend Victoria to avoid having to use 357s in both directions.

Put it like this: I would much prefer pretty much any modern EMU to a pacer!
In terms of if the valleys need the capacity, I would say yes we do. You would be surprised how busy some of the services can be. Even a doubled up pacer / sprinter set (so 4 cars) isn't enough at some times of the day (hence why some of the stations were extended to accommodate 6 carriage trains - though the extra carriages never arrived).

tbtc

Veteran Member

Compared to the "character" of the squeaky Pacers, the 357s sound ideal :lol:

anthony263

Established Member
I agree with getting the class 357's maybe some could also be used to work services to/from Swansea if the wires are extended there.

I to agree that the valley lines can be extremely busy even during the off peak.

They certainly could do with running some 6 carriage trains on the Treherbert & Rhymney routes. The only line i dont think should get 4 carriage trains is the Radyr - Cardiff -Coryton service although there is talk of this being extended to Pontypridd to allow for some trains to be sped up by missing out stiops between Pontypridd & Cardiff.

krus_aragon

Established Member
They certainly could do with running some 6 carriage trains on the Treherbert & Rhymney routes. The only line i dont think should get 4 carriage trains is the Radyr - Cardiff -Coryton service although there is talk of this being extended to Pontypridd to allow for some trains to be sped up by missing out stiops between Pontypridd & Cardiff.

I think the plan is to run some trains fast Ponty-Central via the City line, with a Central-Ponty stopper going via Cathays and Llandaff. Similarly, some Rhymney services running fast from Queen St, to Caerffili, with a stopper following. (And also running some Rhymney line services down to the Bay again.)

Ivo

Established Member
I take it the Bay would be electrified with the rest of the Valley Lines? I would forever curse the railways if my precious Bubble was ultimately replaced by a 357 :cry:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Why?

If anything they'll be 321s replaced by new stock in other franchises, so a larger 32x fleet could be built up in Yorkshire to run more electric services.
It just seemed to work tidily: Seventeen 323s displaced from Northerns' West side by a North West electrification Phase 2 (Where Northern would receive the rest of the 319 fleet if they were to be displaced from the GWML by 365s made spare by Thameslink/IEP) to work the relatively few Northern diagrams that could go over to electric operation if MML electrification went through to Doncaster, Wakefield and potentially York, and then the remaining twenty six 323s displaced from LM by new stock for when an extensive Transpennine North electrification joins up all the links between MML and TPE with wires to give South Yorkshire a fairly complete electrified commuter rail network.

All entirely conjectural of course, particularly as my scheme would see the 321s/322s gotten rid of and replaced by the fourteen Heathrow Express 332s, coupled with Harrogate Circle electrification, which is incredibly dubious at best given the 332s rather "interesting" leasing/ownership arrangements.

But if was Transport Minister, those are the roads I'd be going down...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If we're talking about cascading 323's away from London Midland, please don't suggest replacing them with 350's.

That would not be possible because of the 6 car platform on the Cross City line which means that any replacement would need to be 3 car units, preferable with through corridors and all standard class, high density deating.

For anyone who doesn't know the area, platform extansions on the Cross city line would be very difficault because there are island platforms (at Lichfield City, Four Oaks and Duddeston) and platforms that are boxed in by junctions at eithere end (Aston and Barnt Green).
But an eight car 350 formation is only equivalent in length to a seven car 323 formation: Could an extra carriage length not be squeezed out of many of the Cross City line stations? I reckon that Aston would pose a particularly large problem admittedly...
I take it the Bay would be electrified with the rest of the Valley Lines? I would forever curse the railways if my precious Bubble was ultimately replaced by a 357 :cry:
I'm not sure which of the published proposals for the Valley Lines network is current, but the "Cardiff Metro" document (Or some similar name) that I've seen suggests converting the Cardiff Bay branch to light rail operation or something similar. The 121 seems to be replaced by a 153 more days than not anyway.

I think that the vast majority of commuters and general rail passengers would infinitely prefer a fleet of quick, reliable, functional trains rather than one that has "character".

Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
I think that the vast majority of commuters and general rail passengers would infinitely prefer a fleet of quick, reliable, functional trains rather than one that has "character".

Absolutely.

Give most people a choice of a boring reliable functional service (like a 357) or a quirky interesting one with "character" and I think they'd prefer the former.

Given that C2C need increased capacity and corridor connections (maybe an add-on order of 377s?), the four coach 357s would be perfectly fine for Lancashire/ Cardiff Valleys.

Nym

Established Member
Lancashire could just have all the electrostars and send the 323s down to add on to the Cross City Line?

Especially if TPE North is going to be wired up soon then the fleet of 74? electrostars will do nicely thankyou very much. The only problem is most of the platforms around here are geared toward 3/6*23m operation. Does the LTS fleet have SDO?

I sure wouldn't be complaining if an 8 car electrostar showed up in place of the usual 15x unit on the Hazel Grove diagrams, but that would mean it wouldn't move anywhere yet, unitl wires come to Bolton anyway.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Absolutely.

Give most people a choice of a boring reliable functional service (like a 357) or a quirky interesting one with "character" and I think they'd prefer the former.

Yep Pacers have character while 170s are just trains. I know which most people prefer.

Ivo

Established Member
Lancashire could just have all the electrostars and send the 323s down to add on to the Cross City Line?

Especially if TPE North is going to be wired up soon then the fleet of 74? electrostars will do nicely thankyou very much. The only problem is most of the platforms around here are geared toward 3/6*23m operation. Does the LTS fleet have SDO?

I sure wouldn't be complaining if an 8 car electrostar showed up in place of the usual 15x unit on the Hazel Grove diagrams, but that would mean it wouldn't move anywhere yet, unitl wires come to Bolton anyway.

I may be wrong but I am not aware of LTS units having SDO; there is no need for them. And given the platforms on the Grays route are being lengthened there is even less need for them. I do agree that c2c need more units, but 321s aren't the answer! Even if I'm not overly keen on them, people are happy with the 357s and see the SOV trains (i.e. the 321s) as a poorer relation.

I'm not sure I see the point in corridor connections though? LTS units have been operating as 12-car trains for a long tme, and yet I'm not aware of them ever having had such things?

Of course, I wouldn't complain if every daytime journey was increased to 8-car operation ;)

------------------

Regarding CDB, I had read that too. Maybe it and the Baycar (bus 6) could be combined into a fully-fledged tram route up to Heath Hospital (where the Baycar is projected to be extended before long; ask anthony263 for more details).

------------------

On the subject of character again, I agree that more people prefer 170s to Pacers, but how much of that is down to them being bigger and more comfortable? Those two points aside (and speed, but it's not really relevant), 170s really aren't all that compared to the 14x series.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I see the point in corridor connections though? LTS units have been operating as 12-car trains for a long tme, and yet I'm not aware of them ever having had such things?

If you are running eight/twelve coach trains regularly, but without any corridor connections (between these four coach units) then you have staffing issues/ it means passengers can't move down to emptier coaches...

anthony263

Established Member
If you are running eight/twelve coach trains regularly, but without any corridor connections (between these four coach units) then you have staffing issues/ it means passengers can't move down to emptier coaches...

Might be a good idea if they ordered new units with gangways for the c2c routes and the class 357's are displaced to work on the vallley lines and Swansea - Cardiff - Bristol/Cheltenham service s if the routes are wired.

davo882000

Never mind sending them coaches south how about the Middlesbrough- Sunderland-Newcastle-Hexham-Carlisle getting a look in on an upgrade

Prodigy

Do Sprinters necessarily have to be replaced just yet? I know most of the Pacers are up for replacement soon but the Sprinters I usually get on seem fine enough...

Ivo

Established Member
To be fair, MBR to CAR isn't exactly the busiest route around...

And I agree that most Sprinters are some time away from needing a replacement. This is turning into a fantasy thread now.

True, although Fenchurch Street does have a peak-time entrance to the "country" end so all coaches are usually pretty full. As for staffing issues, c2c is DOO; I haven't seen a conductor at all since 2006...

anthony263

Established Member
Iagree with the sprinters not requiring a replacement. I do admit they require some work, ie fitting with a dda compliant toilet etc but really it is only the pacers that need to be scrapped.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Exactly what is the difference in height between a Moorgate-certified 313 and, say, a 317 or a 357?

It has been suggested a 378 has been to Moorgate low level already - I'm pretty sure someone posted it here a while back, and the 'special height of the 313 for Moorgate' thing isn't correct - indeed it might even be another 'railway myth'... :D

WatcherZero

Established Member
Do Sprinters necessarily have to be replaced just yet? I know most of the Pacers are up for replacement soon but the Sprinters I usually get on seem fine enough...

No, they just have to be modified to meet the DDA requirements, level boarding (either through height modification or platform alteration), proper wheelchair access and emergency call buttons, compliant hand grips, etc...

Established Member
Level Boarding?

You mean like it is on the 185s with a 50ft gap to the platform?

I should have claimed against them, whilst doing doors in the middle I fell down the gap at Staly before they fixed the platform edge, smashed up my kneecap. Especially when they spout all that If you can't do it safely don't do it! rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.