• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacer route list

co-tr-paul

Severn Beach line... didn't scroll back !
Re early posts on GW Cornish lines, the 143s have been known to do the Penzance to Cardiff run a few times !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Indeed, first time I ever saw a Pacer was on 23 February 1987 (Monday of half-term) at Topsham station on an Exmouth service. It was, IIRC, a 142, would this make sense? By 1993/1994 they were all 143s, certainly in the Bristol area.
Yeah, the brown and cream 'Skippers' ordered specifically for the South West were a batch of thirteen class 142s (142015 - 027), which subsequently transferred north in the late eighties (Most becoming Heaton's initial allocation of 142s), while the twenty five class 143s later transferred from the North East to South Wales & West during 1992.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Thank you. Any idea if they ever did any current EMR services, and which Welsh Valleys, Devon, Cornwall, (Bristol?) lines they ran on?
The did occasionally work Cleethorpes - Newark Northgate. Not diagrammed, but covering for missing 15x's in the early 1990s. Sleaford do Doncaster as already mentioned was allocated units in the late 1980s. Not sure if they ever made it to Peterborough itself however.

Neptune

Established Member
The did occasionally work Cleethorpes - Newark Northgate. Not diagrammed, but covering for missing 15x's in the early 1990s. Sleaford do Doncaster as already mentioned was allocated units in the late 1980s. Not sure if they ever made it to Peterborough itself however.
I’ve definitely seen both a 142 and a 144 at Peterborough. I have photographs somewhere.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I’ve definitely seen both a 142 and a 144 at Peterborough. I have photographs somewhere.
That was always a strange route to me. A lot of the units on it were allocated from Norwich Crown point, but then they also some of them started thier day in the north, which I recall as a strange working once gave us a 150/2. I am wouldn't be totally surprised if they did make it to Peterborough, just never knew they were diagrammed (but then it was a long time ago) - Definately remember the school kids (1605ish) Sleaford - Doncaster was always a pacer.

nw1

Established Member
Have any ever been to Brighton?
Have any ever been to Southampton or Portsmouth for that matter?

Not in diagrammed service AFAIK (the Bristol-Southampton stoppers were mostly 150s, though there were one or two 153s some years) but perhaps as a substitution?

Yeah, the brown and cream 'Skippers' ordered specifically for the South West were a batch of thirteen class 142s (142015 - 027), which subsequently transferred north in the late eighties (Most becoming Heaton's initial allocation of 142s), while the twenty five class 143s later transferred from the North East to South Wales & West during 1992.

Ah ok yes. I do remember the one I saw was brown and cream, thanks for confirming.

There was some quite nice pub in Topsham which was adjacent to the station (sadly I wasn't old enough to partake of alcohol, though...)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
They were banned from 3rd rail territory so never made it to Weymouth or Southampton AFAIK. They probably also made it to Frome I suspect.
This is a myth that won't die, it seems... there is and was no "ban" on Pacers operating on 3rd rail routes, if there had been I'm sure that we'd have reports of sparks flying at Hunts Cross and Bidston regularly.
There may well have been a de-facto "ban" from the Bristol to Weymouth route, but this would be due to local preferences and/or route/traction knowledge rather than any incompatibility between the units themselves and the 3rd rail.

Grecian 1998

This is a myth that won't die, it seems... there is and was no "ban" on Pacers operating on 3rd rail routes, if there had been I'm sure that we'd have reports of sparks flying at Hunts Cross and Bidston regularly.
There may well have been a de-facto "ban" from the Bristol to Weymouth route, but this would be due to local preferences and/or route/traction knowledge rather than any incompatibility between the units themselves and the 3rd rail.

A very fair point - I completely forgot they worked regularly over the third rail around Liverpool.

I'm still fairly certain they've never worked over regularly any of the third rail network in southern and south-eastern England, and I'm not sure they've been over any of it even out of service. However I could be wrong.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A very fair point - I completely forgot they worked regularly over the third rail around Liverpool.

I'm still fairly certain they've never worked over regularly any of the third rail network in southern and south-eastern England, and I'm not sure they've been over any of it even out of service. However I could be wrong.
You're right that they never worked in Southern DC-land, though they could have done so if BR had gone down that route. Now that would have been fun to see, 4-car 144s on Uckfield runs, quite the downgrade from a Thumper!
The myth of them being barred from 3rd rail areas keeps coming up though, despite the Hunts Cross example which disproves it.

Have any ever been to Brighton?

The lines in and out of Brighton have been electrified since the 1930s so I doubt there would be any need for pacers to operate in the area. Most of the non electric lines in the area closed before the birth of the pacer and the oxted lines used the thumpers before being replaced by 170s I believe.

Failed Unit

Established Member
You're right that they never worked in Southern DC-land, though they could have done so if BR had gone down that route. Now that would have been fun to see, 4-car 144s on Uckfield runs, quite the downgrade from a Thumper!
The myth of them being barred from 3rd rail areas keeps coming up though, despite the Hunts Cross example which disproves it.
Back in BR days, would the crew have bieng more local as well. so if a these were "Southern" crews they would never have got traction knowledge. I could be wrong by I understand odd workings back in BR days were done by the local crews. So London - Inverness HST would be a Scotrail driver North of Edinburgh.

I only ever saw Pacers in Lincolnshire operated by "Northern" crew. Non of the people I knew based at Lincoln signed them.

When you look at Cardiff - Portsmouth / Brighton. I assume that the Southern end of the route back then was worked by crews that could also be driving EMU.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The lines in and out of Brighton have been electrified since the 1930s so I doubt there would be any need for pacers to operate in the area. Most of the non electric lines in the area closed before the birth of the pacer and the oxted lines used the thumpers before being replaced by 170s I believe.
For decades until May last year there was a regional service from Bristol (and points north/west thereof) to Brighton that has utilised classes 150, 155, 156 and 158 at various times.

As such it's within the bounds of speculation for some to wonder whether a West-allocated Pacer ever made the trip, though I've seen no evidence or suggestion that one ever did.

I wouldn't have minded pacers on the uckfield run. I would guess the Pacers can handle gradients better than the thumpers?

For decades until May last year there was a regional service from Bristol (and points north/west thereof) to Brighton that has utilised classes 150, 155, 156 and 158 at various times.

As such it's within the bounds of speculation for some to wonder whether a West-allocated Pacer ever made the trip, though I've seen no evidence or suggestion that one ever did.

Yeah I know there's was such services. We're the Pacers often used on long runs? I always imagined them being local and branch line use.

Failed Unit

Established Member

I suspect if it did, it would have terminated short. I doubt train crew would have signed it all the way and the depots further away from Bristol would have not had knowledge.

The route clearance is interesting for me, as some of the routes they did appear on I don't recall BR running route clearance trains, unless it was a case of if a 150 will fit a 142 will. As I mentioned earlier, the only time they would appear on Cleethorpes - Newark is if the crew were Cleethorpes based. I suspect if they were short of units the pacer would release a 150 which would cover the 158.

sprinterguy

Established Member
We're the Pacers often used on long runs? I always imagined them being local and branch line use.
Journeys of around two and a half hours weren't unusual - Middlesbrough to Carlisle, and Carlisle to Barrow-in-Furness spring to mind. In the South West, services such as Cardiff - Taunton were plausible workings as noted previously in this thread, and, in South Wales, Cardiff or Swansea to Fishguard Harbour/Pembroke Dock.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Journeys of around two and a half hours weren't unusual - Middlesbrough to Carlisle, and Carlisle to Barrow-in-Furness spring to mind. In the South West, services such as Cardiff - Taunton were plausible workings as noted previously in this thread, and, in South Wales, Cardiff or Swansea to Fishguard Harbour/Pembroke Dock.
Cleethorpes - Manchester Airport also had them teplace the 158s (if not mentioned already) - rarely luckily....

Wow. 2 and a half hours on a pacer, bouncing and squelching and I thought I had it bad when we had to make do with 508s for some time.

I do like the Pacers though, they certainly have character. Although would I be saying that if I was a daily commuter on one.

Mat17

Huddersfield through to Lincoln - about 2 hours 40 minutes or so.

There was also the once a day Leeds - Huddersfield - Lincoln which would add another half hour onto the journey.

Wow. 2 and a half hours on a pacer, bouncing and squelching and I thought I had it bad when we had to make do with 508s for some time.

I do like the Pacers though, they certainly have character. Although would I be saying that if I was a daily commuter on one.
Two and a half hours is nothing. There were occasions when they worked from Cornwall to south Wales.

DanNCL

Established Member
Chesterfield was the furthest they could go south. Before the Leeds - Nottingham service started pacers were booked to work the Sheffield - Chesterfield service alongside 153’s.
Might not have been cleared to Nottingham but they definitely had Nottingham on the roller blinds.

Did they ever do Northern's (now former, I believe, outside of major Durham Coast disruption) limited service via Durham and Chester-le-Street, and did they ever serve Penrith in passenger service?
Not sure about Penrith but I had them several times on the 22:22 Newcastle - Darlington in 2019. Sometimes solo, sometimes a pair of them, and once paired with a 158/9z
IIRC ScotRail we’re usually quite unhappy when Northern ever resourced a 142 on any of their services to Dumfries. They were very much verboten north of the border.
There was a General Appendix instruction essentially prohibiting them from Scottish Region due to unreliable operation of certain track circuit types.
A general appendix instruction that was disregarded on more than one occasion. A 142 being allocated was quite common, usually the crew would correctly refuse to take it but occasionally neither driver nor guard remembered that they weren’t permitted to take a 142 to Dumfries and did so anyway.

There was in the late 2010s a Sundays only Whitby - Carlisle that often produced a 142. Around 5 hours end to end.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Even worse than that. Some Carlisle to Barrow in Furness services continued to Lancaster, or even Preston....

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Might not have been cleared to Nottingham but they definitely had Nottingham on the roller blinds.
The roller blinds were a standard item rather than being specific to each class, hence the 307s and 308s having places like Huddersfield and Halifax on the blinds, despite not being able to reach those places without either a heck of a run-up or a heck of a shove!