• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacer Withdrawals: The list (Reference)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mat17

The pacer rail group have confirmed 142055 will be in provincial livery and are raising donations for the repaint

Best livery the 142s were in, it didn't suit everything, but the Pacers looked particularly good in this livery.

Defiance149

There's a photo on Flickr showing one car of 143625 at Leeming Bar on 2/8, anyone know when this left Landore please and if/when the second car followed? Presumably being stored for the KWVR?

warwickshire

On Moderation
Today the Monday 06th September 2021 AT around 1600 hours on my local motorway the m42 between Junction 16 Henley in Arden and Junction 15 longbridge island A46 turn off .
Adjacent to the chiltern mainline around the lapworth and Hatton area.
Heading south was PACER 144 middle coach vehicle 55857. On a low loader.
Looking quite clean on the outside in purple livery.
Still with metro branding on in it in clear vision as well.
Coach looking quite remarkable and clean despite being in store for so Long.
However where was it being moved to and from please.
Thank you very much if anyone on here knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

That’s the centre car from 144021.
I believe that unit (as a whole?) together with 144015 are destined for use by the University of Birmingham.

At what sight and for what purpose, I am not sure.

The_Train

Established Member
I believe that unit (as a whole?) together with 144015 are destined for use by the University of Birmingham.

At what sight and for what purpose, I am not sure.
No doubt to see if they can get it thundering along using some weird and wonderful gas or some other concoction that scientists have put together

------------------------------------------------BELOW POSTED 09/09/21------------------------------------------------------------
144015 has been sighted on a low loader on route to Long Marston today so presume that is where 144021 has ended up as well?

Also, 144012 has been on the move as well as it starts a new life with Network Rail - not sure where it went to but I'd guess it will be based out of Derby RTC?

Last edited:

Mat17

Just out of interest, will there be areas the pacer can't go, in its new life as a departmental unit?

diligentdave

The last ever Class 142 currently still owned by Northern, 142071 at Heaton, will be transported by road hopefully on the 16th Sept for scrap.

The_Train

Established Member
Also, 144012 has been on the move as well as it starts a new life with Network Rail - not sure where it went to but I'd guess it will be based out of Derby RTC?
It went to Long Marston apparently. I guess that will be to amend the interior to suit Network Rail's requirements

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just out of interest, will there be areas the pacer can't go, in its new life as a departmental unit?
I'm not aware of anywhere that Pacers weren't cleared other than places they'd never needed to be cleared, but there might be a few places where clearing it would need more than just paperwork.

IIRC there was a viaduct somewhere in the North West (Mid-Cheshire?) where the use of Pacers interchangeably with Sprinters meant a reduced speed for all trains. Since Pacers were withdrawn I don't know if that restriction has been lifted.

warwickshire

On Moderation
It went to Long Marston apparently. I guess that will be to amend the interior to suit Network Rail's requirements
Also by road then. I take it. ?.
However this means at longmarston we now have 144012 network rail testing.
With 144015 and 144021
Alternative fuel testing for the university off Birmingham.
However longmarston yard has become a small 144 Depot.
With 144s as yard shunter then.
However pity they couldn't be moved by rail though

Mat17

I was thinking more third rail land, not necessarily South East, but more out Liverpool way perhaps.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I was thinking more third rail land, not necessarily South East, but more out Liverpool way perhaps.
Are you referring to the oft-quoted myth about Pacers being barred from lines fitted with third-rail?

Because that is indeed a myth, if it wasn't then Pacers wouldn't be able to get to Lime Street via Hunt's Cross... something they did daily for years.

Mat17

I didn't realise it was a myth, I thought they were banned. I've never been out Liverpool way so I can't comment on their routing round those parts.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Are you referring to the oft-quoted myth about Pacers being barred from lines fitted with third-rail?

Because that is indeed a myth, if it wasn't then Pacers wouldn't be able to get to Lime Street via Hunt's Cross... something they did daily for years.
Don't forget when at Chester.
Sometimes they also ended up on platform 7.
As well the 3rd rail platform.

Sm5

It may have originated from an attempt to put a 142 onto the Bury line at Cheetham Hill cOctober 1989 which took out a piece of lineside equipment.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It may have originated from an attempt to put a 142 onto the Bury line at Cheetham Hill cOctober 1989 which took out a piece of lineside equipment.
That would make sense, AIUI the Bury side-contact 3rd rail sat higher... but it's just as likely to come from random platform-end wibble!

High Dyke

Established Member
Not sure where to post this, but found this view on Google streetview the other day whilst searching for something completely different. Don't know exactly when the shot dates from, but it is on the A52 ring road at Gamston near Nottingham.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210917-111552_Maps~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210917-111552_Maps~2.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.