• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacers off the rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
That's probably a more accurate analysis of the reasons behind it. That doesn't explain why a 221 has four though, so it's probably a combination of both sets of factors.

A 221 does have a carriage of all table seats in a 2+2 arrangement. This may have been for an intended 'second class.'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
A 221 does have a carriage of all table seats in a 2+2 arrangement. This may have been for an intended 'second class.'
That's only on the Virgin West Coast examples and has been installed retrospectively after Virgin lost the Crosscountry franchise and West Coast had specific 221s allocated to it. It wasn't an original feature of the Voyager design when they entered service.

Zoe

Established Member
The 180s seem to get by just fine with only one disabled toilet (In one of the driving vehicles), and even EMTs' seven carriage 222s only have two as I mentioned above.
I did read that the FGW HSTs that are to remain in service will need to have a disabled toilet in First Class although I haven't confirmed this. If this is to be a requirement then I'd have thought one would also needed to be installed in First Class on the 180s.

Last edited:

WillPS

Established Member
Their parts interoperability with the Leyland National will serve them well in preservation.

WestCoast

Established Member

No, that's the first and standard class carriage, it's Standard Class on the Birmingham - Scotland runs and First Class on the Euston - North Wales services. As sprinterguy says, this was a feature added by Virgin West Coast after XC passed to Arriva.

Status
Not open for further replies.