• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacers on the mainline on Tuesday 18th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroCrowe

RTT is reporting that next Tuesday, the 5Z42 Eastleigh Arlington to Crewe Holding Sidings will be operated by a Class 14x DMU, and Railway Herald is saying it will be a pair of 142s. Anyone know if this is true and if it is, why? Is it a pair of preserved pacers going for scrap or perhaps to be repurposed and transported elsewhere?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RobShipway

Established Member
Are those the two that where being converted into a home and Arts space that where brought by a couple that work on the Wenslydale Railway?

I know that there was 4 class 142 pacer units that went to Wensleydale Railway. 1 was for operational use, the other was for parts and the other two was to be converted into a home, with the last one being an arts centre.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
The RTT service in question.
I don't think we'll see many pacers on the mainline, so this may be a nice chance for people near the route to see it.

RetroCrowe

@pokemonsuper9 If this move really is a pacer, I'm genuinely considering missing the return leg of the Welsh Mountaineer tour just to get back in time to see this, possibly the most enthusiastic anyone has ever been about a pacer lol. I can see a steam loco nearly every week since I'm in Crewe, but a mainline pacer run is certainly something much rarer

Graham H

142003 in bright orange was sitting with engines running last Wednesday and visible from the Campbell Road bridge when I looked. Speculation obviously, but seems the most likely candidate

Ciderking

It won't be going on that route from Eastleigh as Pacers are not cleared for third rail lines. Probably via Romsey and Salisbury as previous moves were.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It won't be going on that route from Eastleigh as Pacers are not cleared for third rail lines. Probably via Romsey and Salisbury as previous moves were.
That's a long-running and frequently debunked myth. They ran through Hunts Cross and the adjacent junction for decades, as well as the shared platforms at Southport and Chester.

They won't be cleared for lines in the South that have third-rail because they've never needed to be, but the third rail isn't the deciding factor.

Established Member
That's a long-running and frequently debunked myth. They ran through Hunts Cross and the adjacent junction for decades, as well as the shared platforms at Southport and Chester.

They won't be cleared for lines in the South that have third-rail because they've never needed to be, but the third rail isn't the deciding factor.
Note that the 3rd rail on Merseyrail is not identical to the 3rd rail on the southern region. It is entirely possible for them to have been cleared to Hunts Cross, Southport and Chester, but nowhere on the southern region other than Eastleigh works etc.

I have also heard of some quite serious incidents involving Pacers on the 3rd rail at Southport.

Towers

Established Member
Slightly off topic, but I hadn’t realised that 003 had been ‘got at’ inside Arlington’s yard by graffiti yobs shortly after it was repainted. Bit concerning regarding the security arrangements. I presume it’s since been cleaned up?

Ciderking

I saw it yesterday when on a works tour. It's looking very good and has been kept inside since being tagged. 142007 has also now been painted, now in the later GMPTE livery.

m79900

Does anyone know what LSL are actually planning to do with their Pacers? Will they be used, or just sit in the museum at Margate?

Iskra

Established Member
Does anyone know what LSL are actually planning to do with their Pacers? Will they be used, or just sit in the museum at Margate?
Probably run a few affordable enthusiast tours in pairs I would imagine, like they do with their Scotrail DBSO set. 2x142 can probably reach a lot of lines that traditional railtour stock can’t.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Maybe you need a chat with Network Rail because the schedule runs mainline via Micheldever stops Basingstoke 1024 1032 Banbury 1152 1213

Darandio

Established Member
It’s not nonsense at all. The profile of the 3rd rail on a straight piece of track may be identical, but the Southern region has sections of 3rd rail on points and crossovers at certain junction layouts, where Merseyrail just has a gap. I was assuming this is where Pacers might foul it.

What exactly do you mean there? Merseyrail does have third rail installed at these points much the same as down south.

507 001

Established Member
It’s not nonsense at all. The profile of the 3rd rail on a straight piece of track may be identical, but the Southern region has sections of 3rd rail on points and crossovers at certain junction layouts, where Merseyrail just has a gap. I was assuming this is where Pacers might foul it.

I’m sorry, but it absolutely is nonsense.

Third rail is third rail.

Established Member
What exactly do you mean there? Merseyrail does have third rail installed at these points much the same as down south.
I’m sorry, but it absolutely is nonsense.

Third rail is third rail.
As I said it isn’t nonsense. At junctions on the Southern region, there are sections of raised third rail inside the four foot. I am sure this does not occur on Merseyrail’s system.

Darandio

Established Member
As I said it isn’t nonsense. At junctions on the Southern region, there are sections of raised third rail inside the four foot. I am sure this does not occur on Merseyrail’s system.

Why would be there third rail inside the four foot?

I'm still not 100% on what you are saying. Do you mean that Merseyrail has third rail on an up and down running line for example. But where there is a crossover there isn't third rail and they coast over it?

fgwrich

Established Member
Just to add / counter some debate in here, Eastleigh Works has 3rd rail throughout most of the sidings and both Pacers have moved around the yard with no issues.

Anyway, 003 now has CET tanks fitted and has been refurbished inside out.

Status
Not open for further replies.