• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington derailment 16/06/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
If the driver depot is near to a major and/or terminal station served by that whatever the TOC is, could staff that aren't fit to drive a train be sent to the station to work there instead until they're fit enough to drive trains again?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phil.

Established Member
If the driver depot is near to a major and/or terminal station served by that whatever the TOC is, could staff that aren't fit to drive a train be sent to the station to work there instead until they're fit enough to drive trains again?

I hear the sound of a tin opener working on a can of worms.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I would gladly bet that nobody will ever reach the conclusion that fasting was a definite issue, because it's far too politically sensitive and would put heads on blocks when it came to deciding the rules. You can just imagine the the office full of suits passing the buck around and around!

Instead, we will settle on the conveniently vague "we're not really sure" and hand the hot potato firmly back to the TOCs to deal with...

Got it in one!

ExRes

Established Member

What sort of work do you suggest?

D365

Veteran Member
Where I am, there are some really awful graduate managers, as well as some excellent ones. The same applies to people who have come through the grades.

In my experience it's more to do with the individual than the background.

That's what I was hoping somebody would say. Categorically writing off all student graduates is taking the mickey a bit (and I don't just mean in the management sector).

Rich McLean

Established Member
Just to put a few things straight, as far as the RAIB are concerned (who have spoke to me), there is no firm evidence to suggest that the driver was fatigued on the day. The driver did not say to anyone Official (Booking on Clerk, DSM etc) before booking on that he was fatigued on that day, so case closed in that respect. The RAIB have said that they are no longer investigating this incident and that the digest provides the relevant learning points.

Thus, unless the driver himself says that he was fatigued during the post incident interview (or medically proven), then they can't use that as a factor.

Of course, personally and as many others have pointed out, there is an issue in the industry where certain Muslim drivers fasting during Ramadam may feel that informing they are fatigued before booking on could lead to disciplinary action. It's been well documented that this was one of the worst Ramadam's on record in general amongst the Muslim population in the UK, hence all the press from the likes of the Daily Fail.

It would be down to the individual TOCs to manage this properly, without the fear of Fasting Muslims carrying out Safety Critical duties to avoid harming their career prospects while they are fatigued.

I don't think GWR or the RAIB have brushed this under the carpet to save political face in this instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.