• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington Station 24/7 - Channel 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tooktook

I am with you on that one, what's up with people these days ?

Not sure. People say commuting/ train travel is stressful which it can be. Especially during disruption. But it's not a green light to be rude.

Re the controlled explosion. I always wanted to see one, having heard so many similar reports on the news of an area closed for one etc.... It was a loud bang but visually pretty anti climatic. Poof.....and it's done.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScouserGirl

Given that Day Returns and Singles are easy to split on XC if your going any distance I imagine the Conductors are under strict instructions not to split. The guy was trying to ask for splits at one point. Pay when challenged and then make a fuss about split ticketing in the hope staff cave in or you can make a get away -its a delaying tactic. I have heard of a person who tried this kicking off about rip off rail fares etc and was sold two singles that were more expensive than than the original point to point single- The Conductor was seen walking away with a very big smile!
Yeah I though conductors can't split, if you want a split ticket book in advance or something!

aylesbury

This is an interesting series but its a bit samey with all these emergencies I know that they happen but it would be nice if we could have more about the staff and how they do there jobs.The first class in the Queens 800 looked a bit dull but I suppose the actual service units will be different.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Re the controlled explosion. I always wanted to see one, having heard so many similar reports on the news of an area closed for one etc.... It was a loud bang but visually pretty anti climatic. Poof.....and it's done.

That shows it was done properly; the idea of a controlled explosion is to destroy the weapon without it going off fully in the process - but they have to assume that it might detonate as originally designed, so they have to make the zone big enough to allow for the slight risk of that happening.

Mathew S

Established Member
What are the chances of the series being released on DVD once all episodes have been broadcast?

I'm guessing practically nil, especially since we know from C5 that they've had legal issues with it.

If you know someone who's in it you could get them to try asking for a 'contributors copy'. Don't know what C5 policy is on those though, I've only ever been involved in doing it with the beeb.

applepie2100

Am I mistaken or was Jody the HST driver previously a Train Manager and was the star of the previous Channel 5 series?

Dhassell

Am I mistaken or was Jody the HST driver previously a Train Manager and was the star of the previous Channel 5 series?
That is exactly what I was thinking! She said she has only been a driver for two years, and the last GWR programme was late 2015? So it does make sense.

Crossover

Established Member
You may have a point about Jody - possibly the one who had to deal with a load of drunks on one of the lates back to Swansea?

Also interesting seeing the clip of what is coming next week - it is the derailment that happened fairly recently and seems to show the CCTV of the incident actually happening

Loop & Link

Best episode so far!

Worst noise on the railway the emergency GSMR call, heart skips a beat when you hear it!

Andyh82

Established Member
Lots of interesting bits tonight, particularly the emergency red phone calls.

Although on the other hand they are retreading the "Signalling failure which causes delays somewhere in the west country which heaven forbid may stretch up to Paddington and effect the evening peak" scenario quite a few times now.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Please tell me I am seeing things and it was just an illusion caused by the camera angle, but did one of the engineers who was explaining about the work to repair a point really put his fingers between the switch blade and the running rail for a few seconds?!

Far north 37

Established Member
Please tell me I am seeing things and it was just an illusion caused by the camera angle, but did one of the engineers who was explaining about the work to repair a point really put his fingers between the switch blade and the running rail for a few seconds?!
although not good practice id imagine everything would be totally isolated while work was going on

coxxy

RE the emergency call for the signal reversion.. is it just me that thinks it was a bit OTT to make an emergency call?

Dhassell

RE the emergency call for the signal reversion.. is it just me that thinks it was a bit OTT to make an emergency call?
Not necessarily, you don't know what's ahead. A train might have passed a signal at danger coming towards you and came onto your track for all you know... It stops all trains so no accidents can occur, for example if the points are set against the train.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
although not good practice id imagine everything would be totally isolated while work was going on

That's my point ( excuse the pun ) - aren't they supposed to work on the basis of never assuming that an isolation of anything can be relied upon?

Bromley boy

Established Member
That's my point ( excuse the pun ) - aren't they supposed to work on the basis of never assuming that an isolation of anything can be relied upon?

They’ve been known to sit on the juice rail during possessions for a smoke/to eat their sandwiches in this part of the world :lol:.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Driver Jodie was indeed TM Jodie from previous programs.

I wasn’t impressed with the audio of the PHBT at Whiteball, you could hear the driver was in a state of shock was there any need to air the conversion ?!

Marklund

Seeing as the motion unit of the tubular stretcher bar was disconnected, you could see it turned 90 degrees, I'd say that there's a fair chance of a disconnection or two!

3973EXL

Established Member
Seeing as the motion unit of the tubular stretcher bar was disconnected, you could see it turned 90 degrees, I'd say that there's a fair chance of a disconnection or two!

You can see the fail safe protection below his hand, wooden scotch between the blade and stock rail.

6Gman

Established Member
The voiceover regularly tells us that trains arrive at and leave Paddington "every two minutes". That surely isn't accurate?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
The voiceover regularly tells us that trains arrive at and leave Paddington "every two minutes". That surely isn't accurate?

I'd imagine technically true if you got a total average by adding together the long distance, thames valley, HEX and HEC services that leave over the course of an hour and divide the hour up by that number of services! But of course not really "true" to life!

mind the gap

I would imagine the driver would have had to Okay it.
I am sure they would have shceked with the driver if ok. but I thought this was useful to the general viewing public for them to understand the impact on the driver and why they cannot continue and explain possible additional delay while a replacement is arranged?

Bromley boy

Established Member
I am sure they would have shceked with the driver if ok. but I thought this was useful to the general viewing public for them to understand the impact on the driver and why they cannot continue and explain possible additional delay while a replacement is arranged?

I’d agree with that on balance although perhaps they could have blanked out the drivers voice. I’m not sure it added much. So long as he was okay with it, surely to goodness they would have checked!?

Although on the other hand they are retreading the "Signalling failure which causes delays somewhere in the west country which heaven forbid may stretch up to Paddington and effect the evening peak" scenario quite a few times now.

Agree to a point but equally the general public often don’t seem to appreciate that their service between point A and point B is affected by an event miles away at point C (I think many assume all trains just shuttle between the same two destinations).

Anything that helps debase this misunderstanding, and hammers the point home, is all for the better in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.