Paddington to Kings Cross St Pancras

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by mathmo, 12 Mar 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mathmo

mathmo Member

If I arrive at Paddington on a National Rail service and want to get to King's Cross, what's the fastest route? I've read several differing opinions. There's a choice of:
    • Paddington H&C station direct to King's Cross - but not many trains
    • Paddington Circle/District line platform - but may have to change at Edgware Road
    • Bakerloo to Baker Street, then change to Metropolitan/H&C/Circle - but a bit of a long way round
    • Bakerloo to Oxford Circus then Victoria line to Kings Cross
    or probably some others too...

My current view is to head for the Circle/District lines but I'm not convinced that's right.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. DavyCrocket

DavyCrocket Member

Well the timetabled frequency and journey time is the same from the H&C and Circle stations to King's Cross. Of course from the Circle station you can travel on the first train and change at Edgware Road.

However, I'd head to the H&C station! TBH, It's all pot luck on the SSR lines, I wouldn't take any notice of the journey planner!

4. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

The interchange at Edgeware road is cross-platform (no stairs), so I'd go Circle/District platforms.

5. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

Depends which platform you arrive into at Paddington, if adjacent to H&C use them, otherwise use Circle

6. DavyCrocket

DavyCrocket Member

Not if the train goes into platform 3 at Edgware Road! That's the platform that I normally put the Districts in, regardless of what the timetable said!

Of Course from 13 December, the only through trains will be from H&C station.

7. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

And apparently the service frequency will double

8. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I always used to take H&C from Paddington, on account of it being closer to the Heathrow Express. Nearly always, contrary to what it said on the front, it terminated or was held at Edgware Road - and that could mean me missing my train from Kings's Cross.

Now I tend to go down to the Circle line, which is actually easier if you have bags because there are no steps (when going eastbound) to worry about. Of course, whichever train I go for, I'll get it wrong. My advice is, if you see me - look which way I'm walking and go in the opposite direction.

9. DavyCrocket

DavyCrocket Member

Well, the timetabled frequency will increase from every 8.5 minutes to Circle/H&C combined 5 minute frequency.

10. asylumxl

asylumxl Established Member

Check when your train arrives, then use the TFL Journey Planner to work out which is fastest. If you come in closest to the H&C like mentioned before, go there. If not head for the Circle line. I usually find unfortunately when i get there a tube train just leaves Paddington as i get to the platform lol.

11. EM2

EM2 Established Member

Or...get a 205 bus :D

12. Uranquinty

Uranquinty Member

If you did the Bakerloo to Oxo and up on the Vic, you'd probably spend more time moving than kicking your heels round Edgware Road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.