• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington to Plymouth Sunday trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
How come they are extremely busy? I've been on the 1557 and 1757 and there is standing room only.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I expect the simple answer is that Sunday afternoon is a very popular time for travelling. I've been on quite a few trains all over the country that have been full and standing on a Sunday afternoon, so I don't think it is a problem that is confined to this one route.

I am moving this thread into NR General Discussion, by the way.

jonb

Established Member
Sunday afternoon is generally one of the busiest times to travel anywhere on the network. I was travelling back from Newcastle a few weeks ago on the 13:12 departure and it was very busy by the time we reached York.

On the flip side I would think Sunday mornings (or perhaps late Saturday evenings?) are the quietest times to travel?

Zoe

Established Member
Could there be a case for banning Super Off Peak tickets on Sunday afternoon/evening to encourage travel at less busy times?

FGWman

Could there be a case for banning Super Off Peak tickets on Sunday afternoon/evening to encourage travel at less busy times?

There could be a case for it but it is not allowed to have restrictions on this ticket type on a sunday.

telstarbox

Established Member
Sunday afternoon is generally one of the busiest times to travel anywhere on the network. I was travelling back from Newcastle a few weeks ago on the 13:12 departure and it was very busy by the time we reached York.

On the flip side I would think Sunday mornings (or perhaps late Saturday evenings?) are the quietest times to travel?

Saturday nights are often quiet too, and Saturday mornings except for big football-related flows. People going away for the weekend often travel out on Friday night and back on Sunday night so they get two nights away but are back home for work on Monday.

Zoe

Established Member
it is not allowed to have restrictions on this ticket type on a sunday.
The TOCs can't restrict them now but the rules could be changed.

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Students make up a big flow on a sunday afternoon, my girlfriend always catches the 20:40 TPE service from leeds to newcastle when shes been down for weekend, and it is always rammed, many students. Also the services towards manchester and london from leeds are rammed too.

Flamingo

Established Member
The usual Sunday engineering works don't help, also the large number of suitcases that people travelling on Sunday afternoons seem to have.

Morning and Evening trains are usually OK, though.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Very crudely, people travel for a weekend away on Friday evening or Saturday, but invariably return on a Sunday. Thus there's two days worth of outward passengers on one day's worth of return trains.

Except that TOCs generally seem to think that no-one wants to travel on Sunday so run fewer trains than on Saturday. (Well, the franchises don't require them to run as many trains, so they don't).

There could be a case for it but it is not allowed to have restrictions on this ticket type on a sunday.

In general, why is this? I realise that for FGW, the Super Off Peak is in fact the SVR equivalent - so it's a protected fare.

As I've said before, I'd rather have Off Peak tickets remain the protected, "general purpose" fare, and Super Off Peak being a replacement for cheap Advance fares - to try and fill up quiet trains.

Zoe

Established Member
As I've said before, I'd rather have Off Peak tickets remain the protected, "general purpose" fare, and Super Off Peak being a replacement for cheap Advance fares - to try and fill up quiet trains.
That's what the old Super Saver used to be but unfortunately the new Super Off Peak has allowed the TOCs to hike the Off Peak fare by keeping the Super Off Peak at the regulated rates.

dk1

Veteran Member
West of England trains can be extremelly popular on sundays. There used to be a Paddington departure from Newton Abbot around 15.00 that was always very crowded. As it started Penzance i thought i would avoid it next time by catching the train 40 minutes before which was only from Plymouth. It was so busy that i paid the weekend first supplement & even this was full from Taunton.

Flamingo

Established Member
IMHO, most routes could do with the "weekday" service on a Sunday afternoon, not a reduced Sunday service. The South Wales line could defenitly use the half-hourly service from Cardiff, not hourly. However, for various reasons (probably connected with staff availability and the desire of Network Rail to have less trains to cope with for the usual Sunday engineering works), I don't think this will ever happen.

dk1

Veteran Member
IMHO, most routes could do with the "weekday" service on a Sunday afternoon, not a reduced Sunday service. The South Wales line could defenitly use the half-hourly service from Cardiff, not hourly. However, for various reasons (probably connected with staff availability and the desire of Network Rail to have less trains to cope with for the usual Sunday engineering works), I don't think this will ever happen.

Virgin Trains lead the pack hands down on this subject. Service ramps up to an almost full VHF from lunchtime on a Sunday.

TEW

Established Member

The service on the Plymouth and Penzance route isn't even reduced, the services are just busy. There are actually a few extra services over weekdays because more Bristol trains start back at Plymouth.

Zoe

Established Member
The service on the Plymouth and Penzance route isn't even reduced, the services are just busy. There are actually a few extra services over weekdays because more Bristol trains start back at Plymouth.
At one time I remember a roughly half-hourly service from the Westcountry late Sunday afternoon but I'm not sure this still runs.

Flamingo

Established Member

Fair enough, I don't work that neck of the woods.

Which brings us back to the basic point. Sunday afternoon trains are busy because of the same reason Sunday afternoon roads are busy - lots of people want to travel then.

TheWalrus

Established Member
This strengthens my case for a semi-fast up the b&h. It would be quieter, giving exeter/tivvy/taunton an alternative to the busy fasts. This would relieve the fast services and also the bristols.

Zoe

Established Member
This strengthens my case for a semi-fast up the b&h. It would be quieter, giving exeter/tivvy/taunton an alternative to the busy fasts. This would relieve the fast services and also the bristols.
There are two trains a day that run to Taunton semi-fast via the Berks and Hants. One of these continues to Exeter. These services however do not run on Sundays.

TEW

Established Member

The problem with the semi-fast services is that they are too slow, nobody will use them. The ones currently running on Monday-Saturdays are so slow that they are either overtaken or arrive close to services leaving an hour later. There is even a Paignton semi-fast on Summer Saturdays that is overtaken twice. In my experience most people using the semi-fasts are travelling to stations not served by the fasts, so Castle Cary to London or Penzance to Westbury. The uncompetitive journey times are unlikely to tempt many of the Exeter, Tiverton and Taunton customers on to them.

TheWalrus

Established Member

The problem with the semi-fast services is that they are too slow, nobody will use them. The ones currently running on Monday-Saturdays are so slow that they are either overtaken or arrive close to services leaving an hour later. There is even a Paignton semi-fast on Summer Saturdays that is overtaken twice. In my experience most people using the semi-fasts are travelling to stations not served by the fasts, so Castle Cary to London or Penzance to Westbury. The uncompetitive journey times are unlikely to tempt many of the Exeter, Tiverton and Taunton customers on to them.
sorry but i dont agree at all. There are ways and means of implementing this.

TEW

Established Member
OK then, how? I really don't see huge numbers of people suddenly catching a service which takes an hour longer.

TEW

Established Member
That's the only way I think it would work,would probably lead to some strange pricing anomalies though. On the fasts it would probably have to end up being cheaper to travel further. I do think there should be a semi-fast service from Exeter to London, but I don't think its purpose should be to take lots of the passengers off the fast services. It should be to serve the smaller stations along the Berks and Hants line.

TheWalrus

Established Member
That's the only way I think it would work,would probably lead to some strange pricing anomalies though. On the fasts it would probably have to end up being cheaper to travel further. I do think there should be a semi-fast service from Exeter to London, but I don't think its purpose should be to take lots of the passengers off the fast services. It should be to serve the smaller stations along the Berks and Hants line.
only one market not two?

Chafford1

There is - it runs hourly to Waterloo from Exeter St Davids - first train 9.26am, last through train 7.26pm. Fares are much more competitive than the Paddington route.

Status
Not open for further replies.