• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pains on Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin

who's to say your preference to sit together is worthier than the laptop-user's preference to work at a table (particularly when airline seats often have insufficient space, or a lack of power).

For that matter, who's to say that your preference to all sit together is worthier than my preference to have a table seat so that I've got a bit of legroom and somewhere to put my book/drink?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sutty

I'll confess: I'm gulty of sitting in the aisle instead of a window seat for a genuine reason. Wolverhampton - New St stopper in the morning formed of a 153+170, I'll always take the 153. With doors only being at the end of each coach, I like to be off the train quickly at New St without waiting a few minutes for people to shuffle off as though their life is ending. I have connections to make between trains, from one station to another - why should I have to potenially miss one because people think it's not acceptable to sit in the aisle? If somebody wants to sit, I'll stand and allow them in to the window seat.

If somebody tried saying "I'm getting off here" and not allowing me out, I'd just explain that I'm in a hurry. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world and these things are bound to annoy various people.

I do apologise if I've ever annoyed you by doing this :)

MarkyMarkD

Thanks for all your sensible comments about sitting in the aisle seats. I can now see why some people might do it - not simply their selfish desire to hog two seats and not have to put up with a neighbouring passenger, but a physical need for legroom.

If that is the case, though, there are more often than not unoccupied aisle seats next to other passengers, which such passengers should use first rather than creating blocked window seats which are strangely occupied by their bag so that intending passengers have to ask whether the seat is free or occupied by their "friend".

Anon Mouse

Established Member
One of my pet hates is when you get folk sitting in 1st class with std class tickets with the excuse of "there are no seats", only to point out several vacant seats next to other passengers, then to have them grumbling away when ejected while making a big scene then standing in the vestiuble and then when you again show them where the seats are they will say "its ok I will stand". It boils my p**s! :(

stut

Established Member
If that is the case, though, there are more often than not unoccupied aisle seats next to other passengers, which such passengers should use first rather than creating blocked window seats which are strangely occupied by their bag so that intending passengers have to ask whether the seat is free or occupied by their "friend".

Why is asking someone if a seat is free such an ordeal?

It happens every night on the train I get home. No-one dies.

Bellwater

One of my pet hates is when you get folk sitting in 1st class with std class tickets with the excuse of "there are no seats", only to point out several vacant seats next to other passengers, then to have them grumbling away when ejected while making a big scene then standing in the vestiuble and then when you again show them where the seats are they will say "its ok I will stand". It boils my p**s! :(

When I used to threaten to withdraw numerous annual season tickets, that got people moving out of first class seats..

Also used to excess people sitting or standing in first, why should I expect first class passengers to put up with that?

Tramfan

The complete numpty who, for reasons only known to themselves, decided to watch a film on a portable DVD player on the train, without using headphones, and at full volume a few weeks back. I had my headphones on listening to music, and could still hear the film blaring out to the whole carriage.
By the end of the journey, I wanted to ram the DVD player up his backside.

stut

Established Member
The complete numpty who, for reasons only known to themselves, decided to watch a film on a portable DVD player on the train, without using headphones, and at full volume a few weeks back. I had my headphones on listening to music, and could still hear the film blaring out to the whole carriage.

An increasing trend for people with children in tow, too (as you couldn't possibly damage their little ears with headphones). Not just on trains, but stations and airport departure lounges too.

tempests1

I find it annoying the person that has a large laptop with a widescreen on it. They park themselves down next to you and they tap with very heavy fingers the whole way. When sat on a SWT 450 it feels like your personal space has been invaded. Large broadsheet papers are a pet hate as when fully opened they go over your side of the seat.

Tramfan

An increasing trend for people with children in tow, too (as you couldn't possibly damage their little ears with headphones). Not just on trains, but stations and airport departure lounges too.

I might have felt a bit more tolerant if it was someone playing a film to keep a child occupied. I do see this on trains occasionally, although usually headphones are used or at least the volume is turned down, it was just this one incident that really annoyed me (and most likely an entire carriage of other people!)

tsr

Established Member
I might have felt a bit more tolerant if it was someone playing a film to keep a child occupied. I do see this on trains occasionally, although usually headphones are used or at least the volume is turned down, it was just this one incident that really annoyed me (and most likely an entire carriage of other people!)

I have actually seen passengers get so annoyed with this sort of behaviour (either from others' music or something similar, like a video) that they have visibly very nearly resorted to physical violence. As a result, I will often try to prevent this by staring disapprovingly at the culprit from behind my orange jacket. This normally works. If it doesn't, you will generally find that I quietly advise annoyed passengers that I will have a word with the offending passenger. Shortly after, I will move quietly up to the offender, usually by sneaking up behind them (they will be engrossed in the source of the noise) and ask them to stop. Should this fail, the guard will be informed (unless they are drunk or they look very yobbish, in which case the guard will be informed as soon as possible instead).

table38

Established Member

I suffered about an hour opposite a child who had one of those electronic toys with buttons which say "the cow goes moo", "the dog goes woof" etc.

He was just hammering away at the buttons randomly, so it was more along the lines of "the cow says the cow says the cow the the the cow says..."

Parents? Evidently they were used to it and had completely tuned it out :( Even my best glare had no effect.

rdwarr

I suffered about an hour opposite a child who had one of those electronic toys with buttons which say "the cow goes moo", "the dog goes woof" etc.

He was just hammering away at the buttons randomly, so it was more along the lines of "the cow says the cow says the cow the the the cow says..."

Parents? Evidently they were used to it and had completely tuned it out :( Even my best glare had no effect.

But, on the bright side, at least you now know what cows and dogs say.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Not if the kid never let it finish!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

BlackBerry and iPhone users should make the effort to learn how to turn their keypad volume down/off. I have and it's not difficult.

But no. Sadly it's click click click beep beep beep as lengthy emails and texts are laboriously typed.

Is it loud? Only a little bit.
Is it incredibly grating after just a few minutes? Oh yes.

amcluesent

Just a few annoyances -

1) Peeps who get on and then go to sit in the first seat of the carriage, blocking everyone else while the get their coat off and faff about with their luggage.

2) Yoofs with their all their worldly goods in a back-back who then turn around without thinking there's 40cm of pack going around in an arc.

3) 'walk throughs' who traipse through FC and 'accidently' bump, bump, bump the back of everyone's seat with their Primark bag. OK, so you can't afford FC, deal with it!

4) Peeps who sit directly opposite you at a table, when the diagonal seat is free

5) Children

cyclebytrain

My pet peeve -people telling families walking through 1st that "oh, this carriage is always declassified, don't worry about it, just sit here" when it isn't (meaning the family were stuffed for getting a table in standard). Although last time it happened, a quick word with the guard resulted in the people saying that ending up about £800 worse off, and the family allowed to stay in 1st -which pleased me immensely! :)

MarkyMarkD

Why is asking someone if a seat is free such an ordeal?

It happens every night on the train I get home. No-one dies.
It's not "an ordeal", it's just unnecessary.

If you catch a busy train every day, why make another passenger block the aisle, whilst they ask if the window seat is free, then make other passengers wait even longer to sit down whilst you get out of your aisle seat (and block the aisle some more) whilst the second passenger gets into the window seat?

I accept everything about long legs, but most people who do this are simply selfish seat-blockers attempting to avoid sitting next to someone else.

Hydro

Established Member
I'll be thinking of these pains as I avoid pass travel by jumping on transit moves. Personal heavily modified Mk.2f, with kitchen and supplies, free wifi and flatscreen telly for films, IC70 FC seating and tables and pure loco haulage from some of the noisiest diesels left on British metals. Life's a bitch sometimes.

Minilad

Established Member
I'll be thinking of these pains as I avoid pass travel by jumping on transit moves. Personal heavily modified Mk.2f, with kitchen and supplies, free wifi and flatscreen telly for films, IC70 FC seating and tables and pure loco haulage from some of the noisiest diesels left on British metals. Life's a bitch sometimes.

For that you will get an imaginary poke in the eye <(

Hydro

Established Member
For that you will get an imaginary poke in the eye <(

How about rattling around in the inspection coach in summer, all windows open, stretched out on the cushioned bench seat at the No.1 end, enjoying the view from all the windows with the wind blasting the roar from the locos through...? Lying in the observation dome of MENTOR watching bridges flash over your head, hypnotised by the overhead wires zig-zagging mere feet from your head and the smell of bacon sizzling in the kitchen wafting around the compartment? :lol:

Minilad

Established Member
How about rattling around in the inspection coach in summer, all windows open, stretched out on the cushioned bench seat at the No.1 end, enjoying the view from all the windows with the wind blasting the roar from the locos through...? Lying in the observation dome of MENTOR watching bridges flash over your head, hypnotised by the overhead wires zig-zagging mere feet from your head and the smell of bacon sizzling in the kitchen wafting around the compartment? :lol:

I will now imaginary poke you in the other eye. Try watching your overhead wires now smartarse :lol:

Flamingo

Established Member
Another fun one is at termini in the rush hour. An easy 600 passengers disgorged simultaneously and funnelled towards the barriers...

...and those waiting to board the outbound service stand so as to create a complete bottleneck, allowing only 1-2 people at a time through, complaining about how long they have to wait before boarding.

Yes, platform 9 at King's Cross, I'm looking at you...
Then use platform 9 3/4, and just fly over them on your Nimbus 2000! Works for me :D

Established Member
When a Cambridge Express service is platformed at Kings Cross, it usually isn't shown on the boards until about 5 minutes before departure. Everybody decides to run to the train, especially if it's going from the suburban platforms, it's literally a stampede halfway across the station :lol:

This could be avoided by showing the booked platform a bit longer in advance, although once one person starts running everybody does (presumably in order to get a seat), so I don't know how much difference it would make overall.

Hydro

Established Member
I'd like the MML platforms at St. P to repeat the big departure board in abbreviated form on the platforms. This way people can wait on the platforms (and keep track of platform allocations and changes) and not just in that tennis court sized excuse for a waiting area. A train's worth of people waiting for a Sheffield to be announced versus a trains worth of arrivals pouring through is just a collossal pain in terms of people movements.

stut

Established Member
Then use platform 9 3/4, and just fly over them on your Nimbus 2000! Works for me :D

Well, there is a way to go via 9 3/4... ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
When a Cambridge Express service is platformed at Kings Cross, it usually isn't shown on the boards until about 5 minutes before departure. Everybody decides to run to the train, especially if it's going from the suburban platforms, it's literally a stampede halfway across the station :lol:

This could be avoided by showing the booked platform a bit longer in advance, although once one person starts running everybody does (presumably in order to get a seat), so I don't know how much difference it would make overall.

But, as noted above, if it's one of the more crowded platforms and a tight turnaround (or slight delay to the inbound), this means that the people crowding round to board block the people trying to leave, and there's a good chance the train will be delayed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's not "an ordeal", it's just unnecessary.

If you catch a busy train every day, why make another passenger block the aisle, whilst they ask if the window seat is free, then make other passengers wait even longer to sit down whilst you get out of your aisle seat (and block the aisle some more) whilst the second passenger gets into the window seat?

I accept everything about long legs, but most people who do this are simply selfish seat-blockers attempting to avoid sitting next to someone else.

I think you are projecting somewhat.

Of course there's a degree of selfishness in choosing the empty pair but, be honest, faced with a choice of definitely sitting next to somebody and maybe sitting next to somebody, particularly when you're tall, what are you going to choose? And yes, the peak trains I normally get go out about 75% full, and I have never known aisle-blocking to be a problem for the few moments it takes to let someone in.

There's only so far you can take this form of altruism. What next - please don't stand up if there's place to sit, some with haemorrhoids might board?

In reality, it seems like you want to have your cake and eat it - you prefer window seats, and having nobody next to you, so get annoyed at all the people who prefer aisles!

Last edited:

MarkyMarkD

I think you are projecting somewhat.

Of course there's a degree of selfishness in choosing the empty pair but, be honest, faced with a choice of definitely sitting next to somebody and maybe sitting next to somebody, particularly when you're tall, what are you going to choose? And yes, the peak trains I normally get go out about 75% full, and I have never known aisle-blocking to be a problem for the few moments it takes to let someone in.

There's only so far you can take this form of altruism. What next - please don't stand up if there's place to sit, some with haemorrhoids might board?

In reality, it seems like you want to have your cake and eat it - you prefer window seats, and having nobody next to you, so get annoyed at all the people who prefer aisles!
I prefer a seat, and not having to climb over someone else to get there! In a full train I'm very happy to sit straight down in an aisle seat if one is available - next to someone else is fine!

Muzer

Established Member
The best way to stop yourself from having to walk through the train to get closer to the exit, is simply to memorise (or write down!) the best carriages from which to get off for each length of train, and sit in the correct one when you first get on the train!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
things that anoy me or are a pain:
1. On the rare occasions I deliberately book the quiet coach (often during school holidays as noisy kids anoy me im afraid) and the first thing that happens is some chavvy mum with at least 1 buggy and 2 noisy brats get on and regardless of the signs make a load of noise.
Nearly came to blows with 1 on an XC service once as all I wanted to do was quietly listen to my audio book and despite being repeatedly asked by the TM they wouldnt stop and had to be thrown off.

2. people with buggies, bikes or luggage who think they rule the world and basicly say f***k you when pax or staff ask them to shift

3. Those individuals who moan constantly about crouding when theres nothing to be done about it. Yes its crouded, yes its not what you expected but do you have to talk loudly about it all the way from Darby to Waverley? On an HST with far more space than the voyager you should have got and with spare seats 6 coaches away?

4. And im glad there aint many of these but guards who seam to be out for a squable with every passenger.

5. People who buy the cheepest advance and dont read the Ts and Cs and have a major shouting match when told there on the wron train and will be charged

i may seam like a grumpy so and so but there are many many more things that could anoy me and dont and if I were to summerise, in the main why are some foalk just so daft?

Status
Not open for further replies.