• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pains on Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
The flip side is the us, us, us that somehow thinks because there is more than one person in the party they have a divine right to whichever seat they like, regardless how anyone else feels

A sole occupant could offer up their seat and sit at a different table. I've done it albeit in 1st on Virgin so no shortage of seats but they shouldn't be mandated to (apologies if I've misunderstood your post)

Yes, that's pretty much how I feel. If a family comes along and ask if I can move from a table so they can sit together I would oblige. I wouldn't say "tough ****" like it appears some other posters would.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
So,

I reserve a seat which happens to be a table seat. I am travelling on my own, however have a fair bit of work to get done which ideally needs a table to spread out on.

A family of four gets on the train. There are 3 seats on my table plus an airline seat elsewhere in the coach.

Should I move? Politeness suggests that maybe I should, however I have booked that seat. Therefore I am within my right to stay where I am. It's not my problem that the other passengers weren't organised to reserve a table for four.

What happens next would depend on the attitude of the family getting on the train. If they're polite, then I'll offer to move. If not, then I won't.

Sent by Androids

I've had that exact situation. The mother who asked me to move was not polite about it, and got worse after I declined to give up the table seat.

rdwarr

Thread seems to have descended into a moral battle between the "Can I help?"s and the "This is MINE - P**off!"s.
I'm happy to be in the former category if we're having a vote.

Requeststop

This has just happened to me on a five and a half hour overnight flight from Dubai to Bangkok, sure it's the same on buses, coaches and trains; The person sitting somewhere around you who is incapable of lowering their voice and you have to hear every nuance of their side of a conversation. I think they must suffer from Foghorn Leghorn" syndrome. No matter what you do to try to shut out the sound of their voice, either by turning up the volume of your mp3 player to maximum, or by using foam or wax earplugs. Surely, someone of their family/acquaintences must have told them sometime in their lives that their voice carries and it upsets others. I get annoyed even when I agree with their opinions. Bring back the segregated compartmented coaches where you could get up and move somewhere else on the train.

tsr

Established Member
In terms of other pains (not seat reservation issues this time) I had the misfortune to come across a rather unfortunate incident on a packed Southern service today where some sort of far-left activist decided to play a bonkers anti-government-conspiracy film at full volume to the rest of the carriage, largely on the supposed pretext that he wanted to let everyone in the coach know the message of freedom (blah, blah, blah).

Most of the passengers within earshot decided to inform the offending passenger that they most certainly didn't want to hear it. Some rather irritating and extremely cocky responses were given by said activist, resulting in escalated threats by other passengers to destroy the phone and such like. At this point, I had to intervene and prevent any violence by telling passengers rather forcibly to calm down and not risk breaking any laws, even if byelaws were breached. As luck had it, I was successful, but things did get very tense for a few moments. This may have been something to do with the fact that I was wearing orange hi-vis clothing.

Fortunately, despite the incredible rudeness of the passenger, the film finished and he stopped irritating people. He didn't look very smug after his mass telling-off, either.

I did suggest that someone should fetch the guard, but he was eight cars away and the passenger wasn't annoying people for all that long or leaving any evidence.

The irony was that the activist was using an iPhone, produced by Apple - a company known for its complete transparency. Ahem.

Michael.Y

Established Member
I remember someone watching a graphic war film (graphic as in gory, not as in comic) with the sound blaring as opposed to headphones. shouts of "shoot him muthaf****r" aren't quite what you'd expect on th 0704 ex-NWP to Man Pic. I hope.

A word of advice to guards and other on-train crew - it is actually a fineable offence for members of the public to play music in a public place without a PPL licence. Therefore you are well within your rights to indicate to the customer offending in such a manner that they risk prosecution should a PPL agent (I'm not joking, these guys crop up everywhere!) discover them in the act of playing music out loud. Some of the PPL's footsoldiers have even been known to bring prosecutions against premises/companies who turn blind eyes to such behaviour.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Funny you mention the iPhone tsr, as most of the supposed anarchists and protesters that tour around looking for the next excuse to protest usually carry an iPhone (and iPad) as part of their standard uniform. If they're there to take photos of the police being heavy handed (and when they're not, they have to goad them into action) then it seems a Canon DSLR is also the chosen kit.

By buying an iPhone and professional Canon camera, they're obviously more able to stick it to the man in this horrid materialistic society!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I cannot abide those kinds of people who try and goad authority figures and generally act like cocks. I am embarrassed to be on the same side of the political spectrum as they are!

supervc-10

The irony was that the activist was using an iPhone, produced by Apple - a company known for its complete transparency. Ahem.

You don't understand- hipsters are completely incapable of operating without their Apple products. This somewhat Not Safe For Work/Family link explains everything in a single JPG.
http://i.qkme.me/352gh9.jpg

Re annoying stuff on trains, I've no problem with putting my bag on the seat next to me on a half empty train (I've been the one and only passenger in an FGW HST once, from Westbury to Reading) but once it starts filling up I'll put it in the overhead rack. Large bags go at the end in the luggage racks as ever.

And if people try and push on before I've got off, then I'm 6'2 and row. I'm not small, rugby player build. If someone tries to push on, I'll happily barge them out the way. Seeing as little old ladies don't tend to do this, mostly men up to 50 and chavs, it's not like I'll hurt anyone.

amcluesent

What winds me up (on the platform at least) is when a kiddie is pulling along a trolley case the size of shoebox "to be like mummy and daddy" and they are letting it flip-flop all over the place so you fall over the darned thing.

tsr

Established Member
I cannot abide those kinds of people who try and goad authority figures and generally act like cocks. I am embarrassed to be on the same side of the political spectrum as they are!

The person I posted about was taking the yellow liquid completely. I hesitate to mention it, but if you think that Sam Main (was that his name?) was rude to that poor Scotrail guard... well, this person was in a completely different league. I seriously doubt he would have left the train unhurt if some fellow passengers hadn't been persuaded otherwise.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Its a bit annoying when almost every time I travel on East Coast the Trolley is either defective and unable to go down the train or unable to dispense hot drinks :(

trainophile

Established Member
Pigs on trains (not really, that would be an insult to pigs)...

Just got off a Liverpool to Chester where someone had discarded a load of sandwich crusts on the floor under a seat. They'd eaten the insides and just chucked the crusts on the floor. I know there's no bins on M/Rail trains but they could have put them back in their original wrapper or box to dispose of later.

Poor cleaning staff.

LE Greys

Established Member
Today, someone really annoyingly was sitting opposite me at a table. He was quite tall, and seemed content to watch a video on his laptop, which I would not have minded, had he not slid forwards in his seat so that his knees were right up against mine. After a lot of moving about, we settled on a pose that alternated between my legs at a reasonable angle under me and his knees very wide apart (a bit too intimate for my taste) and him off to one side with my legs stretched out into the aisle (easier on my bad knee, but inconvenient because I had to move them all the time). This lasted from Edinburgh to York, where I was able to find another seat. He didn't seem to care.

There's also a problem with physical pains. I have to take regular medication, and it's impossible to get a small ammount of water to take my pills with. I'm not paying £1:45 for one sip! At least today I got some free hot water from the trolley, but had to wait for it to cool down.

supervc-10

Today, someone really annoyingly was sitting opposite me at a table. He was quite tall, and seemed content to watch a video on his laptop, which I would not have minded, had he not slid forwards in his seat so that his knees were right up against mine. After a lot of moving about, we settled on a pose that alternated between my legs at a reasonable angle under me and his knees very wide apart (a bit too intimate for my taste) and him off to one side with my legs stretched out into the aisle (easier on my bad knee, but inconvenient because I had to move them all the time). This lasted from Edinburgh to York, where I was able to find another seat. He didn't seem to care.

There's also a problem with physical pains. I have to take regular medication, and it's impossible to get a small ammount of water to take my pills with. I'm not paying £1:45 for one sip! At least today I got some free hot water from the trolley, but had to wait for it to cool down.

I've had similar issues with tall people in table seats- I'm 6'2 so if someone of a similar height is on the opposite seat there can be issues!

Re the water, if you're taking regular medication, would it not be best to take a bottle with you? Buy one once, and then refill it from the tap, or get a sports bottle that can be put through the dishwasher.

What gets me about quiet coaches is the joke they are on SWT's 159s- if nothing else, because of the nasty diesel engine thrashing away inches below the passengers' feet! I wish the line from Basingstoke to Exeter was electrified, so much more pleasant! I guess the same goes for Voyagers/Meridians and 180s too. Give me an HST any day if the route's unelectrified.

Wyvern

Established Member
People who turn up to collect their advance tickets from the TVM at Belper, then walk off (Clearly for another train) at about a quarter to the hour when there are people waiting to struggle with the machine to buy tickets for the train which is fast approaching. <D <(

tsr

Established Member
People who turn up to collect their advance tickets from the TVM at Belper, then walk off (Clearly for another train) at about a quarter to the hour when there are people waiting to struggle with the machine to buy tickets for the train which is fast approaching. <D <(

I know of instances in a local penalty fares zone where conductors have agreed to sell the full range of tickets, even with discounts, on their trains, simply because they have been made aware that stations en-route are crowded or ticket office staff have had to deal with longwinded problems. If only all TOCs could be as flexible...

supervc-10

I know of instances in a local penalty fares zone where conductors have agreed to sell the full range of tickets, even with discounts, on their trains, simply because they have been made aware that stations en-route are crowded or ticket office staff have had to deal with longwinded problems. If only all TOCs could be as flexible...
There are some issues like that here at Temple Meads, but you won't get through the barriers without one. 4 machines for a busy station like Bristol is unacceptable. Salisbury has 3 and in comparison is tiny!

Wyvern

Established Member

This was the original plan - the TVM went in simply because the ticket person had a job to get down the train before Derby when it was busy and it would save time at the barrier. Now I think EMT have had a new managaer. I know people at Belper who are intimidated by the machine and the theatening notices and carry on using their car or catch the bus.

Seacook

I find it difficult to agree with this view. You seem to be saying that people who (i) buy their tickets in advance and, (ii) turn up to collect them in plenty of time for their trains are inconveniencing others who arrive at the station with insufficient time to buy their tickets before the train arrives. I do not see that as a problem caused by the former group of passengers.

Wyvern

Established Member
There's no reason for them to turn up at a quarter to when they could do so at five past. Meanwhile those people who are catching the train have turned up twenty minutes ahead of time because the machine is such PITA.

THe bus runs every quarter of an hour and you just get on board, while the car is immediately available. Only a masochist would use the train if they had an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.