• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paris Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I am travelling from Soissons about an hour outside Paris into Paris and want to use the metro all day while there and go back in the evening.

Now in this country something like a one-day travelcard is what I need, but I don't seem to be able to find anything similar in France. Is this so? Do I need to get separate returns and a separate day pass for Paris?

Thanks for your help

Francis

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Hi.

Yes, there are various options (once you get to Paris). I don't think you can get an inclusive ticket from as far away as Soissons.

I think the best option is probably to get a "mobilis" ticket. I think you should be able to get that from vending machines at Metro stations; if not from ticket offices. They are also sold at tram stops, RER stations, and some shops.
http://www.ratp.fr/fr/ratp/c_21148/mobilis/

It costs 6.10 Euros for Zones 1-2, 8.20 Euros for Zones 1-3, 10.15 Euros for Zones 1-4.

(Zone map here: http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/)

I think I'm correct in saying that ALL of the metro falls within zones 1-3. (The ticket is also valid on RER trains, trams, most buses, and local trains within the zones, except for those into the two main airports).

*Before using the ticket, you must write your name, surname and date of usage on the ticket*

There's a more expensive, tourist-aimed ticket called "Paris Visite" which offers similar validity, but (unless you really want to ride on the Montmartre funicular as part of your travels) really isn't worth it.

If you're aged under 26, there's a cheaper option available at weekends
http://www.ratp.fr/fr/ratp/c_21580/ticket-jeunes-week-end/

3.40 Euros for Zones 1-3. Obviously you need to have proof of age on you.

island

Veteran Member
I think the best option is probably to get a "mobilis" ticket. I think you should be able to get that from vending machines at Metro stations
Yes you can. Bear in mind that the metro vending machines generally only accept euro coins and French debit cards. Some will take foreign debit cards, and a very few will take notes and credit cards.
I think I'm correct in saying that ALL of the metro falls within zones 1-3. (The ticket is also valid on RER trains, trams, most buses, and local trains within the zones, except for those into the two main airports).
You're right about the Metro. Do bear in mind that single tickets for zone 1 are valid on the metro even if you leave zone 1, or start outside it. So if you're only making a few journeys and they're by Metro, you may be cheaper just buying single tickets (which I think are €1.70 a go).
*Before using the ticket, you must write your name, surname and date of usage on the ticket*
Yes indeed. And your surname is supposed to be first. Don't know if you'll be asked for ID though.
There's a more expensive, tourist-aimed ticket called "Paris Visite" which offers similar validity, but (unless you really want to ride on the Montmartre funicular as part of your travels) really isn't worth it.
Mobilis includes the Montmartre funicular; the difference with Paris Visite is that multiple-day tickets are available and holders can get various discounts on tourist attractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.