• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Parking Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuan542

Hi all,

just wondering, if we work for GTR (or most TOC's)

Of course free travel on the network is a benefit, and I know parking must come with this.

But will parking be permitted on the entire line/network?

Reason I ask is i want to commute by driving to my local station, then getting the train to my work station thus parking my car at a different station (although on the exact same line)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
You are usually entitled to free travel on your TOC’s services and those of others owned by the franchisee. It’s 75% discount elsewhere on the network. You may find that your TOC will give you a parking permit for your local station but you will need to check with them.

Turner22

Hi all,

just wondering, if we work for GTR (or most TOC's)

Of course free travel on the network is a benefit, and I know parking must come with this.

But will parking be permitted on the entire line/network?

Reason I ask is i want to commute by driving to my local station, then getting the train to my work station thus parking my car at a different station (although on the exact same line)
Yes mate you can register to park in other GTR locations.

joshuan542

Yes mate you can register to park in other GTR locations.
Thank you! As my local station is Leagrave, but my job is in St albans I was thinking of parking at both only, as on a regular day I can park at Leagrave, then train to St albans.

But on a bad day i can drive straight down to St albans.

Think this would be allowed?

Bonneville91

Thank you! As my local station is Leagrave, but my job is in St albans I was thinking of parking at both only, as on a regular day I can park at Leagrave, then train to St albans.

With GTR you're allowed your home station and your place of work. You used to be entitled to 3 stations if your job permitted but now yoire only allowed 2 (something in which is going to be difficult for me as I require 3 stations but they keep rejecting). If you're role is GPR then you're entitled to an all stations pass. These car parks were ran by Indigo but have now changed their name to/been taken over by Saba.

Firestarter

What job do you have?

Stigy

Established Member
Stick a spare hi vis on the dash when you park. Job done.
Wouldn’t recommend doing this, as whoever is responsible for the parking enforcement won’t take a high vis on the dash as a permit to part where you want.

FrankOwen

Especially Leagrave. We used to get bother in company vans when a great big tamper with the same name on the side was stabled in the sidings.

bionic

Wouldn’t recommend doing this, as whoever is responsible for the parking enforcement won’t take a high vis on the dash as a permit to part where you want.

Everyone I know does it with no problems. Must vary by location/TOC.

jon0844

Veteran Member
With GTR you're allowed your home station and your place of work. You used to be entitled to 3 stations if your job permitted but now yoire only allowed 2 (something in which is going to be difficult for me as I require 3 stations but they keep rejecting). If you're role is GPR then you're entitled to an all stations pass. These car parks were ran by Indigo but have now changed their name to/been taken over by Saba.

I thought Saba was just the new name for Indigo?

nuts & bolts

Obviously! :D

No danger of ANPR in the car parks I'm talking about though.

So your taking up 'valuable' space for a 'paying customer'. By the sounds of it not entitled to otherwise you would hold a permit!

Care to enlighten us where this station is?

dazzayid

With GTR you are allowed 3 stations, two you will get will be your home station, then the station where your based. You can ask for a third, if you give a good reason you will get 3. I have 3 stations on my permit.

Firestarter

With GTR you are allowed 3 stations, two you will get will be your home station, then the station where your based. You can ask for a third, if you give a good reason you will get 3. I have 3 stations on my permit.

What acceptable as a Good Reason to get a 3rd station?

bionic

So your taking up 'valuable' space for a 'paying customer'

No. Because these are designated staff parking spaces.

By the sounds of it not entitled to otherwise you would hold a permit!

It's been done for years with the full knowledge of local management and staff at the locations concerned. I think some people are reading far too much into what I've said. I'm not talking about conning anyone out of paying for parking or taking a space from a commuter who otherwise wouldn't get in the car park. I'm talking about members of TOC staff parking at the stations and depots in order to carry out their duties where it's gone on for years with no problems. Hi vis on the dash, job done. That's what I said and that's what happens. There's no more to it than that!

Care to enlighten us where this station is?

Er, no.

dazzayid

Engineering works, that’s what I wrote as sometimes it’s easier to park the other side of works

Lemmy99uk

I once parked a TOC liveried and branded vehicle, at one of the TOCs stations, for a meeting with the TOC staff.

TOC enforcement officer gave me a £40 ticket

Managed to square it up and get the fine rescinded after a couple of days, but never presume....

Status
Not open for further replies.