• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Parry People Mover on mid hants railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Interesting.
I haven't heard anything about how they will overcome the operational issues.

davidgiles

The PPM will be arriving at the Alresford end of the MHR next week, with staff training following.

The public service begins on Monday 24th January, with the unit shuttling from Medstead & Four Marks to Alton at: 0622, 0653, 0724, 0755 and 0827.

The evening service connects with SWT arrivals from London, leaving Alton for MFM at: 1746, 1835, 1908, 1939 and 2010.

A really useful service for people who live in Medstead, Four Marks and surrounding villages - it enables London commuting as well as transport for those who work in Alton from 9 to 5.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is this a one way service, i.e. can it only be used towards Alton in the mornings and from Alton in the evenings?

davidgiles

I'm told that the shuttle will be available to passengers in both directions, even contra-peak flow.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I think it's an ex-demo one.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The public service won't start until 31st Jan now - after it failed yesterday.

Via Bank

Any idea on timetables or fare information yet?

Also, should the trial be successful, is there any reason it couldn't run all the way to Arlesford? Even at the speed limit of 24mph, I doubt it'd be more than 40 minutes end-to-end (crude maths puts a non-stop run at 24 along the ten-mile length to be 25 minutes), which can't be any longer time-wise than taking a bus.

According to the latest Today's Railways UK this will be the PPM50 previously used on the Stourbridge Branch, i.e. 999 900, which has been refurbished.

will1337

ppm.jpg

This is the PPM at the MHR, photographed on the 29th Jan. I would rather be on the 205 that I was on.

12CSVT

Established Member
Any news if or when the Mid Hants trial is going to take place? There haven't been any updates either on the Mid hants or Goco websites since last month when it was announced that the trial had been postponed.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I understand there have been some mechanical issues and the PPM broke down leading to a delay in the starting of commercial services.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I understand there have been some mechanical issues and the PPM broke down leading to a delay in the starting of commercial services.

Not just that - there have been other issues. At the moment, I understand they are trying to find a replacement unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.