• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Part time Drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andypandy1968

On Moderation
Hi all.
Do any TOCs or FOCs recruit part time qualified drivers? I know some companies will consider existing drivers who want to job share but what about if a driver just wants to work reduced hours, a 2 day week for example?
Regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Hi all.
Do any TOCs or FOCs recruit part time qualified drivers? I know some companies will consider existing drivers who want to job share but what about if a driver just wants to work reduced hours, a 2 day week for example?
Regards
C2C were actively taking on part time. Although I think it was still four or maybe five days a week , but on a few hours a day. Before covid though.

dk1

Veteran Member
At my TOC the only part time driving jobs permitted by ASLEF are job share (effectively one full time post) and those specially permitted for medical or family friendly reasons.

fabs

permitted by ASLEF
The reason the industry is on its knees summed up 3 words.

Having said that, the only part time driving job ‘permitted by the employer’ at my TOC is also job share.

dk1

Veteran Member

Having said that, the only part time driving job ‘permitted by the employer’ at my TOC is also job share.

I wouldn’t say it’s ‘on its knees’ because of ASLEF. All these things are agreed by both sides in the interest of management as well as union members. When both sides stand by these agreements everything ticks along nicely. We have very very little disagreements at my TOC between the two.

fabs

I think you’re right overall. In my TOC it is clear that company council and the level of management they deal with cannot stand each other, and it shows.

At the same time, despite zero deliberate breaking of agreements, the TOC concedes everything and we end up with more MOUs than paragraphs in the Ts&Cs.

Be nice if my company reps’ main agenda was looking after us rather than the need to kick the company in the balls all the time. But I guess if you’re used to management capitulating (not our local management) then I guess you’re going to take advantage.

Can you PM me your TOC? Might try and transfer to a nicer environment.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
This is a thread about part-time drivers, so this a polite reminder to remain on-topic

Established Member
C2C were actively taking on part time. Although I think it was still four or maybe five days a week , but on a few hours a day. Before covid though.

Yep from memory it didn’t sound great because, as you say, it was still the same number of days per week, just shorter shifts. The classic job share would at least give you a lot more days off with an average two days per week albeit, even there, you could do four in a row if two weeks ran into each other.

Not sure how many were actually taken on.

Firestarter

Andypandy1968

On Moderation
I would have thought, going forward, possible reduction in services therefore less drivers needed, wouldn't companies then welcome drivers reducing their hours and of course therefore pay?

Gbrf mention a 1 day week, is it really worth their time and effort, training etc to employ a driver for 1 day per week?!

ComUtoR

Established Member
I would have thought, going forward, possible reduction in services therefore less drivers needed, wouldn't companies then welcome drivers reducing their hours and of course therefore pay?

TOCs are still a little backward thinking.

1 line of the roster is 4 days. That takes 1 Full time Driver.
1 line of the roster is 4 days. That takes 2x Part time Drivers.

Although the base pay may be the same (or similar) you need to start to scale up everything else.

2x Uniforms to maintain
2x CMS (competency management systems)
2x Sickness and AAW (attendance at work)
2x Sets of equipment
2x Medical costs

Potential loss of rostering efficiency, limitations on establishment levels, rest day working increase, etc. etc.

As always, it isn't as simple as first thought.

theking

Really? Because aslef won't let them fill the roster on the cheap to the detriment of their full time members.

The c2c part time post was not some sweet little number for a retiree.

It was still 3 or 4 days a week upto (6 hours I believe) peak earlies and lates.

It was a way for c2c to cut their full time driver count and reduce the short jobs on the roster as now instead of a full time driver having a part of that job a pnb and then maybe spare the part timer did the whole thing.

Sheridan

TOCs are still a little backward thinking.

1 line of the roster is 4 days. That takes 1 Full time Driver.
1 line of the roster is 4 days. That takes 2x Part time Drivers.

Although the base pay may be the same (or similar) you need to start to scale up everything else.

2x Uniforms to maintain
2x CMS (competency management systems)
2x Sickness and AAW (attendance at work)
2x Sets of equipment
2x Medical costs

Potential loss of rostering efficiency, limitations on establishment levels, rest day working increase, etc. etc.

As always, it isn't as simple as first thought.

Some companies have a limit on the number of job shares (which is not quite the same as part-time but for this discussion is as near as needs be) because more staff = more managers required, as you rightly point out. 10% of overall establishment is one figure I’ve heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.