• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Part time Opportunities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick82

Looking for some advice regarding Part time roles within the rail industry and how it might work. I currently work full time at the moment but I have applied for a part time job as a customer assistant at my local railway station. If I am successful in my interview and assessment I am curious if it would be fixed role in terms of hours or flexible to work around any other work commitments.

Any advice would be appreciated, Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Looking for some advice regarding Part time roles within the rail industry and how it might work. I currently work full time at the moment but I have applied for a part time job as a customer assistant at my local railway station. If I am successful in my interview and assessment I am curious if it would be fixed role in terms of hours or flexible to work around any other work commitments.

Any advice would be appreciated, Many thanks in advance.

It's very unlikely they will fit in around your other commitments. That's not how jobs on the railway tend to work!
Expect to either be required for particular shifts each week, or to be following a predictable rotating pattern. I'm surprised that the advert didn't give some idea as to what would be expected?

Nick82

I see what your saying but it just states salary on a pro rata system and that the position is part time

RJ

Established Member
I work part time on the railways. Around 5 hours a week in a ticket office on Saturdays. I'm on my own rota so I do the same shift every week, asides from when I agree to swaps to help colleagues out. I have the freedom to do as much overtime as I like at any of several stations on the network, subject to availability.

Elsewhere, part time might mean being on a rota, where you still have to do a mix of early and lates. I had a 20 hour weekend contract with a different TOC where I was on a rota, starting as early as 5am and finishing as late as 1am. Slightly less predictable, as it was on board trains so the rotas changed with every timetable change.

You need to enquire with the TOC you're applying with as to the nature of your role. They can most certainly provide you with more detail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.