• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passed Trainee Train Driver (GTR) assessment day, next steps…

dpt2

Hi guys,

First time posting on here so hopefully its in the right area.

I had my assessment day with GTR for trainee train driver last wednesday and got my email today to let me know I passed the assessment! On the assessment day we did all of the tests starting with the dots test and finishing with the online tests. We also completed our short answers for the 6 MMI questions but did not do the MMI that day. We also didnt do the situational judgment.

On the email I've received it has congratulated me for passing and said that the next stage is the Driver Manager Interview and they will contact me once they have arranged it with a local depot.

Has anyone else had this before? It would seem that because the MMI and situational judgement are usually done on the same day as the other tests that they may not realise I didnt do them?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class2ldn

Some places do the mmi after the driver manager interview I believe, seems an odd way to do things but I'm sure they won't have just forgot to put you through it.

RyanC87

As mentioned above. Some do DMI first.
You'll sit the situation judgement before the mmi. So they will be your 3 things left to complete

Turner22

I had this with GTR. This is how they do it. You will do the driver manager interview first and then MMI after. Make sure you remember what you wrote in your 6MMI questions as they will ask you about them and more.

Good luck

Driver_wife

Co
Hi guys,

I had my assessment day with GTR for trainee train driver last wednesday and got my email today to let me know I passed the assessment! On the assessment day we did all of the tests starting with the dots test and finishing with the online tests. We also completed our short answers for the 6 MMI questions but did not do the MMI that day. We also didnt do the situational judgment.

On the email I've received it has congratulated me for passing and said that the next stage is the Driver Manager Interview and they will contact me once they have arranged it with a local depot.

Has anyone else had this before? It would seem that because the MMI and situational judgement are usually done on the same day as the other tests that they may not realise I didnt do them?

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations!

With GTR this is normal! They do the 6 short MMI questions during the assessment day but then do the DMI next . If you pass that then you will be invited to do an online SJT before your MMI. I was actually in go ahead house getting a medical last Wednesday and was chatting to some of you on your assessment day, so glad to know some of you passed!!

dpt2

Co

Congratulations!

With GTR this is normal! They do the 6 short MMI questions during the assessment day but then do the DMI next . If you pass that then you will be invited to do an online SJT before your MMI. I was actually in go ahead house getting a medical last Wednesday and was chatting to some of you on your assessment day, so glad to know some of you passed!!
Thank you! I was the one sat next to you laughing about your face mask haha! That makes sense now, thanks for clearing that up!

I had this with GTR. This is how they do it. You will do the driver manager interview first and then MMI after. Make sure you remember what you wrote in your 6MMI questions as they will ask you about them and more.

Good luck
That’s perfect thanks for that! I did make a note of my 6 answers on my phone after the assessment just incase the interview took a while to come around. Thanks again!

As mentioned above. Some do DMI first.
You'll sit the situation judgement before the mmi. So they will be your 3 things left to complete
Thanks mate!

Thank you
Well done, and good luck for the remaining interview
Thank you buddy!

Some places do the mmi after the driver manager interview I believe, seems an odd way to do things but I'm sure they won't have just forgot to put you through it.
I thought it was an odd order to do it too, seems like it is the common way with GTR from the other replies I’ve got here. Either way very excited to have the assessments done! Thanks for the response.

Driver_wife

Ha yes! I completely forgot I was wearing it! Ahh amazing that you passed! Well done! The hard part is over..! Good luck!! :)

dpt2

Good luck with the rest of it, where have you applied for?
Thank you! The original application was towards the end of last year for Cricklewood depot (would happily take anywhere they offer if I’m lucky enough to get through though!)

Ha yes! I completely forgot I was wearing it! Ahh amazing that you passed! Well done! The hard part is over..! Good luck!! :)
Thanks again! Fingers crossed I can get through these next two interviews! Can you remember roughly how long you waited for your DMI? I know it will probably vary a lot though!

Driver_wife

Thank you! The original application was towards the end of last year for Cricklewood depot (would happily take anywhere they offer if I’m lucky enough to get through though!)

Thanks again! Fingers crossed I can get through these next two interviews! Can you remember roughly how long you waited for your DMI? I know it will probably vary a lot though!
It was about 3 weeks after for me - then MMI was the following month. Just remember to use the STAR technique and you will be absolutely fine! :)

dpt2

It was about 3 weeks after for me - then MMI was the following month. Just remember to use the STAR technique and you will be absolutely fine! :)
That’s great thank you!

Just a quick question regarding the upcoming DMI..

I’ve had a look through the forums just trying to get an idea of what’s involved in the DMI interview. From what I’ve seen it seems like there will be questions similar to the MMI like describe a time when..etc. Also to research about the TOC, future plans with the company, values etc. Role of a train driver/why I want to become a train driver. Some good questions to ask the interviewers given the chance.

Is there anything else anyone would recommend looking into before the interview or could anyone provide a rough structure to the interview/what to expect please.

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

RyanC87

That’s great thank you!

I’ve had a look through the forums just trying to get an idea of what’s involved in the DMI interview. From what I’ve seen it seems like there will be questions similar to the MMI like describe a time when..etc. Also to research about the TOC, future plans with the company, values etc. Role of a train driver/why I want to become a train driver. Some good questions to ask the interviewers given the chance.

Is there anything else anyone would recommend looking into before the interview or could anyone provide a rough structure to the interview/what to expect please.

Thanks in advance guys!
I assume it varies between toc. Mine was very relaxed.
Two managers introduced themselves and then asked about me.
I said my name and age, where I live, and current job, brief outline of responsibilities. Then some interests of mine.
That then led them into a few questions. Time when you.... Then the usual questions.

Between each question there was some general chit chat, sub questions. Again relaxed, few jokes back and forth. I believe it's a chance for them to see what sort of person you are, how you will fit in, what you will be like to manage etc. Could be wrong but that's the impression I got, so I was myself, relaxed, joked back at the right times.

You have pretty much everything you need listed.

Hit some key points about the toc, future investments, traction etc.

They may ask how you will cope being alone. How you keep up to date with changes, what you would do if you were tired. But again assume this varies on toc

Driver_wife

That’s great thank you!

Thanks in advance guys!
That all sounds perfect. It’s quite relaxed. Follow the STAR technique, try and incorporate the driver qualities and values (look them up on here) with your own work skills. Use buzzwords that match what your own skills/attributes are that are also driver skills/attributes. Good luck you will be fine! I honestly believe prep is the key to passing these interviews and sounds like you’re more than prepared!

dpt2

I assume it varies between toc. Mine was very relaxed.
Two managers introduced themselves and then asked about me.
I said my name and age, where I live, and current job, brief outline of responsibilities. Then some interests of mine.
That then led them into a few questions. Time when you.... Then the usual questions.

Between each question there was some general chit chat, sub questions. Again relaxed, few jokes back and forth. I believe it's a chance for them to see what sort of person you are, how you will fit in, what you will be like to manage etc. Could be wrong but that's the impression I got, so I was myself, relaxed, joked back at the right times.

You have pretty much everything you need listed.

Hit some key points about the toc, future investments, traction etc.

They may ask how you will cope being alone. How you keep up to date with changes, what you would do if you were tired. But again assume this varies on toc
Thanks a lot mate that’s really helpful. Appreciate the detailed response!

That all sounds perfect. It’s quite relaxed. Follow the STAR technique, try and incorporate the driver qualities and values (look them up on here) with your own work skills. Use buzzwords that match what your own skills/attributes are that are also driver skills/attributes. Good luck you will be fine! I honestly believe prep is the key to passing these interviews and sounds like you’re more than prepared!
Thanks a lot! Glad I’m on the right lines! Appreciate the helpful response as always!

Last edited:

choochoo777

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on passing your assessments. Well done. I wish you the best of luck with the interviews.

I have my assessment day coming up in a couple of weeks with GTR. Can anyone who has recently done the same with GTR please let me know which assesments they took on that day?

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

amansid

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on passing your assessments. Well done. I wish you the best of luck with the interviews.

I have my assessment day coming up in a couple of weeks with GTR. Can anyone who has recently done the same with GTR please let me know which assesments they took on that day?

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Haven’t GTR made you aware of the tests you’ll be doing?
Also, may I ask when did you pass the online Mini Scaat?

choochoo777

I toom the Mini SCAAT on the 25th of September.

I received an email telling me I'd passed on 28th September. The email also said:

"Please bear with us as there are occasions where the volume of candidates waiting for assessments can take longer than expected, however we will send you an invite as soon as we are able to."

Nothing was written about which assessments. I know other people who did the Mini SCAAT a couple of weeks before me and got thier assessment days a couple of weeks later so I'm hoping my assessment day will be coming up soon. Hence why I'd like to get as much info on it as possible

Twotwo

I toom the Mini SCAAT on the 25th of September.

I received an email telling me I'd passed on 28th September. The email also said:

"Please bear with us as there are occasions where the volume of candidates waiting for assessments can take longer than expected, however we will send you an invite as soon as we are able to."

Nothing was written about which assessments. I know other people who did the Mini SCAAT a couple of weeks before me and got thier assessment days a couple of weeks later so I'm hoping my assessment day will be coming up soon. Hence why I'd like to get as much info on it as possible

They will send you a pack about it but you will be sitting the group bourdon, trp 1 and 2 and tea occ 1 2 3 plus the 3 computer tests which I can't remember the name of but if you use the search function all the information regarding the tests will be there. You will sit a driver manager interview followed by a multi modal interview. Good luck.

choochoo777

They will send you a pack about it but you will be sitting the group bourdon, trp 1 and 2 and tea occ 1 2 3 plus the 3 computer tests which I can't remember the name of but if you use the search function all the information regarding the tests will be there. You will sit a driver manager interview followed by a multi modal interview. Good luck.
Thank you very much Twotwo!

karl grindrod

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

Congratulations on passing the tests!! I'm sorry this isn't related to your question but, I have just made it through to the tests and am waiting for my test dates. I have purchased some test aids from how2become and am finding them useful but unsure how accurate they are to the real thing? Are there any websites you used to study for the tests that you feel could help me with the process? Any help or guidance you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. And the best of luck with your interviews... hope you smash it!!

TST2022

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!
Congratulations... What Depot you based at?

If you are based at lovers walk I'll probably see you a few times (local station Preston Park)

Class2ldn

Nobody is based at lovers walk its not a driver depot.
Only depot there is at Brighton Station for TL and Southern.
Only shunt drivers are based at lovers walk

TST2022

Nobody is based at lovers walk its not a driver depot.
Only depot there is at Brighton Station for TL and Southern.
Only shunt drivers are based at lovers walk
Sorry I wasn't clear... What Depot will you be doing the training from (e.g. selhurst; lovers walk)

Last edited by a moderator:

choochoo777

Hi guys,

I got an email from GTR to say I'd passed my MiniSCAAT test and I would be invited to an assessment day. I got that email nearly 3 weeks ago but I've still not heard anything about the assessment day.

How long did everyone wait before they got thier assessment day date?
Cheers!

MeatAndTwoMeg

Be prepared to wait a while. I waited 10 months for my assessment centre date and then another 6 months for my DMI in a previous recruitment drive.

MeatAndTwoMeg

Thanks

Was that with GTR?
How much notice did you get before you had to go to the assessment day?

I know that was not a very encouraging message, but a lot of other people heard back much faster than I did. You just never know with these things!

Yes, it was GTR (Great Northern - Hornsey depot). I think I had about 3 weeks notice for the assessment centre.

choochoo777

I know that was not a very encouraging message, but a lot of other people heard back much faster than I did. You just never know with these things!

Yes, it was GTR (Great Northern - Hornsey depot). I think I had about 3 weeks notice for the assessment centre.
I'll just have to wait.

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated

I'll just have to wait.

Thank tou for your reply. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

dpt2

Hi,

Congratulations on passing the tests!! I'm sorry this isn't related to your question but, I have just made it through to the tests and am waiting for my test dates. I have purchased some test aids from how2become and am finding them useful but unsure how accurate they are to the real thing? Are there any websites you used to study for the tests that you feel could help me with the process? Any help or guidance you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. And the best of luck with your interviews... hope you smash it!!
Hi Mate,

Apologies for the late response, I haven't been on here in a little while (Still awaiting date for DMI).

In regards to study materials, the only additional thing I purchased was a group bourdon dots test book which used actual dots rather than letters/symbols like some of the material provided. Apart from that I used the materials provided by GTR when they sent them out to me along with the date for my assessment. One thing that I feel really helps put your mind at ease is looking through the forum about what to expect from each test, not so much learning exactly how to do it but more so knowing what is expected of you and how the test works. A huge thing is actually understanding what's required for that particular test, you will get a practice run on the day so if there is anything at all you're not 100% sure of just ask the tutor at that point. A lot of the practice material you find wont be identical to what you will do on the day so my general tactic was to practice enough to get a feel for the tests but not overdo it and become too familiar with something that may not be exactly what I will do on the day. Hopefully that helps but if you have any more questions just ask! Good luck!

Congratulations... What Depot you based at?

If you are based at lovers walk I'll probably see you a few times (local station Preston Park)
Hi,

I'm still yet to do my DMI & MMI, so may not be based anywhere yet haha!

I have applied for Cricklewood depot.

Thanks for the support!