Passenger lifts: how long to commission?

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by 40907, 6 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 40907

40907 Member

A passenger lift was installed alongside the existing footbridge at Hereford station a while ago. As far as I can recall it was complete in January.

Last week I returned by train to Hereford and the lift is still out of use for "safety testing" or similar words.

A member of the station staff acknowledged that it was taking a long time to bring the lift into use, and explained that it was something to do with the "I'm stuck in the lift" call system, which apparently doesn't alert Hereford staff, rather goes through direct to "a centre in Cardiff".

Why is it so complicated and take months to iron out? Anyone had similar experiences elsewhere?

2. Altfish

Altfish Member

Altrincham Station had a lift fitted in about December/January, it is still not commissioned.

3. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

Given how many of these are being done at the mo its a tad worrying. Also worrying is how much of a plan have they got for around 15-20 years time when all the ones done in the last few years need replacing?

4. satisnek

satisnek Member

Back in 2007/8 it took months for the new footbridge and lifts at Kidderminster station to be opened to the public. During that time the town's new Morrison's supermarket was built, fitted out and opened.

5. damo44

damo44 Member

A replacement footbridge including lifts was built at Shirley (West Mids) last year.

It seemed to be complete around 12 months ago (i.e. workmen left site and it seemed complete to the naked eye), but as of a few days ago the entrance to the new bridge was still fenced off. No idea why.

6. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

Bingley's new lifts sat looking complete for around 7 months before they were finally commissioned. No idea why.

7. dysonsphere

dysonsphere Member

I guess total lack of intrest by managment, ie weve built it no said anything about using it.

8. route:oxford

route:oxford Established Member

Lifts at Gleneagles and Dunblane were installed and activiated really quite promptly.

9. Altfish

Altfish Member

I wonder if a supplier/manufacturer has gone bust?

10. driver_m

driver_m Member

The ones on the southern end of the WCML took an age to be completed.

11. hulabaloo

hulabaloo Member

It's not right, they were going up double-quick in SE London when the Olympics were round the corner.

12. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

I hope they were coming back down again too, and maybe a little slower?

13. hulabaloo

hulabaloo Member

Boo! :lol:

14. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

Network Rail were asked by the local press this week why the Hereford lifts were still not in operation and the same answer was given as before, still testing. Network Rail said should be operative within month.

:cry:

15. snowball

snowball Established Member

16. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

The lifts at Hatfield took MANY months to go live, even though they were seen working a good month or two before. I guess there's a lot of safety certification and other paperwork to sign off.

The multistorey carpark there still doesn't have its lift working, and the car park has been open since before Christmas. It means having to lug bags up/down the stairs, or risk using the ramps used by vehicles.

17. lincolnshire

lincolnshire Member

Sometimes the lifts can,t be commissioned for other reasons like the lack of sufficient electricity capacity at the station, maybe enough to test them etc on a temporary supply but not put them all into full time operation.

At Lincoln station they installed them and had them running from a generator for quite a few months while the stations electricity supply was upgraded to increase the supply coming into the station for the extra demand from the lifts.

18. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

I can't turn it up at the moment so relying only on memory, but I'm sure that I read that operative lifts to serve Platforms 1/2 at the improved Cardiff Queen St would not be available until May 2015 although everything else there was completed by last December. (new platforms/signalling etc). May 2015 has now arrived and ATW Journey Check today states lifts to 1/2 not working until further notice. Watch this space, unless anybody has some more info.

19. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I believe this is what caused the delay at Hatfield. Not sure why the one in the car park doesn't work though, as I know the power was upgraded for the whole station redevelopment - which could well be completed in the next couple of months, give or take.

I suspect the lift in the car park will still have a sign saying 'out of order' beyond the grand opening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.