• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passenger numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Hi i know pax counts are done at many stations, and in response to my last thread, is there any way of getting hold of some previous counts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Hi i know pax counts are done at many stations, and in response to my last thread, is there any way of getting hold of some previous counts?

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.1529

I'm sorry to scorn, but I have to say this - these stats come up on this forum so often, and trigger such a flurry of quick criticism and observations, that it is a little surprising that regulars are not better aquainted with them. Having said that, I hope you enjoy finding something interesting and also finding fault with them as others have done before!
As the data is presented in a spreadsheet format, you have the opportunity to sort them and analyse them in a variety of ways.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wiki normally has the last few years worth of counts on various station pages. But as dave alluded to there are problems with the counts.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Thanks but I meant the ones where it gives you how many boarded and alighted each train!

wibble

Is that the most stupid phrase on the railway today when not a penny profit would be made without all the taxpayers money sloshing around at levels undreamed of by BR?

As a taxpayer I would like to know some detail of where my money is going!

I don't see many shops or department stores publishing how many people enter or exit through various doors....:lol:

tbtc

Veteran Member
Is that the most stupid phrase on the railway today when not a penny profit would be made without all the taxpayers money sloshing around at levels undreamed of by BR?

We already have figures for how many people use each station each year (which are available, and frequently discussed on here).

If you want to have precise figures for the number of people board/ alight each single service at each station then you are going to have to employ thousands of people to count them (not easy on twelve coach trains!), catalogue the figures, audit them....:roll:

pemma

Veteran Member
If you want to have precise figures for the number of people board/ alight each single service at each station then you are going to have to employ thousands of people to count them (not easy on twelve coach trains!), catalogue the figures, audit them....:roll:

Or do like Mid Cheshire RUA did and get volunteers who travel by train to count the passengers.

They got very different figures to the ones that counted the passenger counts for the North West RUS and only took figures for Stockport-Manchester on certain trains.

The highest average count MCRUA got for a service was 178, while the RUS counters got around 90.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Apparently info about even what type of unit worked a particular service is commercially sensitive as well.

I don't seem to recall hearing of any any shops half funded by the taxpayer so why do the TOC's pretend their fully in the private sector? Finding out what type of unit works a service is very easy even for someone with no knowledge of the UK rail scene internet, magazines etc pretending that its some sort of commercial secret really says it all. The rail regs figs whilst very useful always lag behind we have 08/09 as the latest available and of course its an annual figure rather than a train by train or day by day one.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There are no "specific train" day-by-day numbers. There a specific figures for some services (usually the very, very crowded ones) done at intervals, but there is much guess work- especially with ticket numbers to a station-group. carriage door number counters are not yet reliable enough, though they can cope with more than one person at once, and can cope with people getting on and off at the same time.

tbtc

Veteran Member
pretending that its some sort of commercial secret really says it all

"Commercially sensitive" is the kind of excuse given for not doing things, a bit like "health and safety" or "data protection". There's no conspiracy, they just can't be bothered telling you. Imagine if they did, they'd get thousands of requests daily from trainspotters wanting to know which duty their favourite unit was on

mumrar

Established Member

How exactly will you find out where you money is going from a list of passengers boarding and alighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.