• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passenger Surveys - 1950s and 1960s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titfield

Established Member
I am aware that traffic surveys - essentially how many people were travelling from x to y on a certain date - were carried out in the 1950s and 1960s.

Did British Railways carry out any form of passenger survey / passenger questionnaire type activity in the 50s and 60s to establish what passengers thought of the experience of travelling by rail?

How did British Rail manage customer feedback? Was it consolidated in any form or was it just sent to the station / regional office for it to be dealt with?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
I am aware that traffic surveys - essentially how many people were travelling from x to y on a certain date - were carried out in the 1950s and 1960s.

Did British Railways carry out any form of passenger survey / passenger questionnaire type activity in the 50s and 60s to establish what passengers thought of the experience of travelling by rail?

How did British Rail manage customer feedback? Was it consolidated in any form or was it just sent to the station / regional office for it to be dealt with?
I think there is a British Transport Film (on one of the BFI's BTF series DVD collections) that shows staff surveying passengers on a train as part of a way to find out more about their travel needs and how to then improve customer service as it might now be called. Problem is I can't recall the film title to dig out a better descriptive link for you! Maybe this will jog someone's memory who also recalls it....

From recollection the short film looked like it was from the 1960s (I'm thinking due to styles of dress of those filmed).

Status
Not open for further replies.