• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passenger trains calling at Turners Lane Junction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
There is a train in the timetable data which crashed my program making an assumption that a passenger call should be at a station with CRS (central reservation system) code. The train is the Grand Central service departing 2022-03-26 12:18 from Kings Cross, arriving 14:31 and departing 14:32 in the public timetable.

There are also passenger trains calling at London Road Depot (LRDDEAC), Whitehall Junction (WHRDJN) with public times. Is it really possible for a passenger to take a train and alight at these locations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is a train in the timetable data which crashed my program making an assumption that a passenger call should be at a station with CRS (central reservation system) code. The train is the Grand Central service departing 2022-03-26 12:18 from Kings Cross, arriving 14:31 and departing 14:32 in the public timetable.

There are also passenger trains calling at London Road Depot (LRDDEAC), Whitehall Junction (WHRDJN) with public times. Is it really possible for a passenger to take a train and alight at these locations?
No, though I'm sure there are some cranks who would quite like to do so! In all cases except London Road Depot these are caused by a failure to suppress operational calls from the public timetable. This does happen from time to time as there's no warning message to planners that a train schedule contains a public call at a location other than a station.

The London Road Depot situation is down to the way that LU exports data to the Network Rail systems; they plan trains which enter or leave passenger service without changing direction under the same "headcode" throughout. There are a number of issues with the interface here - not least the fact that all of the intermediate calls between Queens Park and Elephant & Castle aren't shown in the data.

But in essence - if a non-station location is shown as a calling point in the data, you should ignore it.

skyhigh

Established Member
Is it really possible for a passenger to take a train and alight at these locations?
If you'd ever seen Whitehall Junction you'd know the answer to that!

The timetable data isn't perfect, unfortunately.

Veteran Member
If you'd ever seen Whitehall Junction you'd know the answer to that!
Quite. Though there was a platform on the Whitehall Curve while Leeds was being rebuilt 20+ years ago, so you could have got quite close.
But that's irrelevant :)

zwk500

Veteran Member
It's a planner mistake caused by the default activity code for passenger train stops being a passenger stop (for obvious reasons). NR timetable planners should knock the code out and replace it with the proper one, but don't always remember.
At the moment the data validation carried out by the system is limited to prevent schedules being rejected by operational systems and causing issues with journey planners and the like. NR are aware its an issue and are looking at ways to fix it, but finding a solution that can justify the cost is not easy because fundamentally this issue doesn't stop trains running on time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
We had a whole thread last summer to explain London Road Depot, I assume you already know the answer to that is “definitely not”:

zwk500

Veteran Member
We also had this thread which covered a number of other locations thst have cropped up over the years...

NR did conduct an exercise quite recently to get rid of a lot of the erroneous passenger stops at junctions and signals, I'm not sure how effective the end result actually was.

Established Member
I've been on SR 385s advertising stops at Abbeyhill and Cowlairs junctions before now as well.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

While I am no expert on timetables or data or such like it is very clearly a data error. Ask yourself how is a passenger going to climb down form a train and leave the railway at such a location.

Status
Not open for further replies.