• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pathing time at Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
After 22:00 tonight (and most nights I think) each train at Durham has a whopping 15 minutes pathing time. Similarly, some southbound services get 15 minutes at . Why is that please?

Examples:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Firstly, its not Pathing Allowance, it's Engineering Allowance.

It's specified in Timetable Planning Rules for all services 2230-0530ish on Sunday nights/Monday mornings. Presumably to allow for Single Line working using SIMBIDS bi-directional signalling.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
That's engineering allowance, not pathing allowance. Presumably some sort of (planned) single line working or similar? ECML is bi-directional for a good distance up there I think.

Edit - not planned, now I've taken time to actually read the schedules! You'll notice engineering time routinely appears in most schedules over certain parameters, though most of the time only as odd minutes here and there to allow for temporary speed restrictions etc. Obviously where it is to allow for something as remarkable as single line working it needs quite a bit.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That's engineering allowance, not pathing allowance. Presumably some sort of (planned) single line working or similar? ECML is bi-directional for a good distance up there I think.
The re-signalling for electrification put in SIMBIDS for the whole of the double-track section of the ECML north of Northallerton, to the northern limit of the Tyneside control area and possibly beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.