• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pay Southern/Thameslink v SouthEastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newster05

Was wondering what others think. With SouthEasterns pay already less than its 2 sister companies and the 5 and a bit pay increase yearly for the next 4 years for the two companies, will SE members be asking for a fair pay rise to eventually match Southern and Thameslink?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Best laugh I've had all week.

Pay discussions aren't typically discussed this forum. You will need to speak to a member of SE to get the lowdown.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Was wondering what others think. With SouthEasterns pay already less than its 2 sister companies and the 5 and a bit pay increase yearly for the next 4 years for the two companies
Minor correction: Southeastern only has one 'sister company' now, namely Govia Thameslink Railway. Southern and Thameslink are not separate companies; they are merely brand names used by GTR.
will SE members be asking for a fair pay rise to eventually match Southern and Thameslink?
I'd be surprised if they didn't ask for that.

it’ll be interesting to see what happens there. SE’s pay is always behind Southern and Thameslink. you would think that SE would have to bring their driver’s pay in line with that of GTR’s to keep them from jumping ship. that said, they haven’t seemed to think it was necessary in years gone by.

Is this regarding Driver pay or all staff? For the non-Driving grades you’ll find in a lot of cases it’s the other way round. Southern/Thameslink pay less. I’m sure Drivers pay will be addressed during their next pay deal.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Was wondering what others think. With SouthEasterns pay already less than its 2 sister companies and the 5 and a bit pay increase yearly for the next 4 years for the two companies, will SE members be asking for a fair pay rise to eventually match Southern and Thameslink?

Something will have to done to prevent drivers jumping ship. Several TOCs paying more for similar or better work recruit from the same catchment area as SE - GTR, London Overground, Crossrail etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Something will have to done to prevent drivers jumping ship

Other than the Management currently jumping ship, I truly think that SE don't give a toss. There is a queue out the door for Drivers and we are easily replaced. With an expected drop in establishment levels, we are entering a time where there is a surplus to requirement. Chuck in a weak and pathetic union and I doubt you will see any wage increase past an expected cost of living rise.

I am well aware of the target they need to keep 'in line' with the local TOCs and it is un-achievable.

Bromley boy

Established Member
There is a queue out the door for Drivers and we are easily replaced.

I’m sure that’s true but it seems penny wise, pound foolish. No wonder they have a revolving door of people who train, do three years and leave. As we are always told the cost of training a new driver is into six figures.

The work is never going to be great, especially at the metro depots, so they need to be competitive on salary.

TTDARL

It’s not all about money. Conditions are important also. Sunday in / out. The worth of overtime, pensions, rosters, DOO, type of work, diagrams etcetc. The more you earn, the more tax, insurance, etc is deducted remember. The lower paid TOCS usually have better conditions than those that pay more money.

theironroad

Established Member
It’s not all about money. Conditions are important also. Sunday in / out. The worth of overtime, pensions, rosters, DOO, type of work, diagrams etcetc. The more you earn, the more tax, insurance, etc is deducted remember. The lower paid TOCS usually have better conditions than those that pay more money.

While that's all true, some people would forgo the t and c for higher pay and max out their brass and avc contributions in order to possibly be able to afford to retire earlier or go part time.

Bromley boy

Established Member
While that's all true, some people would forgo the t and c for higher pay and max out their brass and avc contributions in order to possibly be able to afford to retire earlier or go part time.

Unfortunately the wider package doesn't stack up brilliantly at SE either. Sundays inside, DOO, high intensity metro work (somewhat better at mainline depots but these can be dead man's shoes to get into). The 4 day week is in place but it's the same at most other similar TOCs now. There's quite a lot of uncertainty about the future of various depots given the Thameslink restructuring which isn't great for morale.

In short the wider package isn't any better than what's on offer elsewhere and there are now TOCs in the same area starting to pay significantly more. It isn't a couple of grand difference any more, it's starting to look more like £10k.

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member
I started at se, never did 3 years and wasn't asked for a penny

Well that attitude *may* have changed, although I'd agree it's questionable how enforceable clauses like that are, especially over a relatively long period.

Says it all when a TOC is more concerned about clawing back training costs than reflecting on itself and asking why the people it trains wish to leave after a short period of time.

Class2ldn

I believe se tried to claim for money from a driver before and it backfired so even though they put it in the contract I've heard they won't chase it now as they failed before

Status
Not open for further replies.