• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino Broken Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

willc789

Im certain this has been discussed before but cant find the thread for it. Whats causing the windows on the Pendolino to break in the cold weather, and whats the protocol once its happened? Is the unit withdrawn for maintenance, or is patched up and sent back out? Would be interested to know how frequent this has been happening over the past few days?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I believe that if a window or crack is sealed fully (I'm not sure what the standard is) then it has no hindrance on the unit and it can still run at 125mph, but I'm not sure where I heard that or if it's correct.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Obviously though that's only on the day it happened, I'm assume at the depot that night it would be treated with urgency.

dk1

Veteran Member
During the Christmas cold spell in 2010 im sure ice was causing the damage. Virgin also stuck with a full VHF timetable. The traction & window issues where such that Alsthom where asked to bring in dozens of staff over the Christmas break to clear the back log.

Last edited:

wilsontown

I believe it's normally caused by flying ice that becomes dislodged when trains pass each other.

I was stood on Warrington Bank Quay in winter a couple of years ago, during a period of snow, and every single Pendolino I saw had some broken windows.

magd1272

Had it today on 1A33. There was a huge thud from the window right next to me, and the outside pane crazed. Believe it was caused by flying ice. Went and found the TM who called the driver, but we were less than 10 mins from Euston. The train slowed to a halt (though possibly just for a signal), then we continued to the platform at normal speed. She moved people away from the window and said there were protocols for dealing with it, but there was no great drama. She also mentioned that two other windows on the same set were broken and covered over with film.

willc789

Would I be right in assuming its a problem that is largely confined to the Pendilions then? I've not heard of such frequent problems on the HST's or any other trains regardless of there speeds?

wensley

Established Member
Would I be right in assuming its a problem that is largely confined to the Pendilions then? I've not heard of such frequent problems on the HST's or any other trains regardless of there speeds?
The odd 180 over at Bradford has been restricted to 100mph due to a broken outer-skin, linespeed once the film is on. Gets more complicated if both laminations are broken. HSTs are just as vulnerable but can't personally think of any instances, droplights are slightly different, no speed restriction if broken as they can remain open anyway when the train is in motion.

(I think that's all correct!)

DXMachina

I imagine the smaller windows on a Pendolino actually reduce the breakage to impact rate - although perhaps the angle of the carriage walls has an impact, so to speak. Maybe the near vertical HST/Mk3 sides don't take such a hit.

Dreadnought

I was on a 350 unit from Rugby to Watford yesterday and through both Linslade and Northchurch tunnels there was what I presumed to be ice "bouncing" off the train, and I saw another 350 at Watford with yellow tape over a broken window.

Phil6219

Was at Wigan on Saturday and a Pendolino pulled in heading to Euston, the front right hand side window was broken (in the first class galley). I wouldn't have called it protective film, it looked like a reasonably loose (as in blowing a fair bit in the wind) plastic sheet over it, this was secured all around but when I mean loose there was a bit of play in it (which come to think of it would most probably be to allow some movment when the pressure changes in tunnels and passing trains).

I think this train was running around 50 minutes late, though that could have been for an unrelated issue given all the Pendolinos and Voyagers were dropping like flies and being rather late or cancelled altogether.

All-together now "We never had that problem with 47s and 86-90s" :D

Phil 8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.