• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino Sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any hints/tips on how I can avoid getting tilt sickness on Pendolinos?

I say tilt, as i'm not usually travel sick on trains at all, but ended up feeling rather ill (but not actually sick) after being on 390010 from 06:17-15:10, with a break 09:44-10:29 at Euston.

It's just that I was ok on the way down, until the Watford area (unusual), felt fine until after Preston, and especially bad north of Carlisle/ arriving into Glasgow.

Does the fact that I sat in an individual 1+1 table in FC for a change, instead of the 2+2 tables have anything to do with this?

It may sound a bit weird, but thanks for any help....

I think it's because Pendolinos tilt alot more into the curves, than 221's etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Might have been the softer seats, or the diferent response time for tilt at the end of the train.

First time I went on a pindo MAN - LON via Crewe, I was ill by the end of it and couldn't wait to get off! HATED EVERY SECOND, if I'm not in a rush and traveling off peak next time I'm gonna get a London Midland Dessie to london instead.

So could be response time, I was in coach B, and was very ill, you're not the only one

Guinness

Established Member
Been on Pendolinos many a time and never felt sick. If you feel sick have a walk around the train, to the Shop and have a drink of water then (if you can) look out of the window.

djw1981

Established Member
North of Carlisle the line winds around the hills and is very bad. From memory its 'best' nearest the shop.. Otherwise travel a combination of LM and TPE on WCML?

Stugeron travel sickness pills work for me, as does focussing on a non moving object like my laptop. Otherwise I just accept it as a necessary evil. If I want fast travel I will feel crap....

Nym

Established Member
I have to remember to take my laptop next time I go down to london, can watch DVDs loud and anoy pepole, generaly the sticker on the top of it anoys them enough...

fix-your-computer-bumper-sticker.jpg

and I have loud speakers so the whole carrage has to watch the simpsons or family guy ;)

Jord

I think in the Watford area, there is a few sharp bends as you still going pretty fast and it's on full tilt? but I love the tilt :D and never felt sick on a train.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Berkhamstead springs to mind ;)

It was the first time I've been on a Pendo north of Preston, apart from Glasgow-Preston via the S&C in May last year..

It's a shame really, because I really like Pendos, and the tilting, but it just got a bit too much for me to cope...

I've been in coach K before Euston-Preston... That was something! :razz:
(O yeah and also Coventry to Preston one Saturday)

Nym

Established Member
I think I'd like em more if I'd have taken my laptop and more alcahol thats drinkable unlike the *not very nice stuff* they have on borad

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I love the tilt on the Pendos, can't get enough of it! Perfectly happy to go all the way up the WCML on a 390 tilting at every opportunity. Never been ill on one either.

I have heard of people feeling rather ill after travelling on a 390 before now, I don't know why it is though.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
But i simply DO want to go on them, and hope that my body adjusts to the tilting sensation ;)

westcoaster

Established Member
probley the fact you were on there for a long period of time twice, there is quiet a big s bend at berkhamstead, and just south of watford as well, but i think its to do with sitting for all that distance.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I don't know if the bend at Berkhamstead is quiet, but it is definately noticeable! ;) :lol:

I was speaking to the driver of 390010 before we left Euston Glasgow bound, and he said that he's just got used to the tilting.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I travel on Pendos way to much. My usual journey is SPT - EUS.
I've felt ill on them a couple of times, but I think that's more due to an anxiety thing than the actual tilt.

Travel sickness is due to the little hairs in your ears getting confused about your direction and such.

So just try to do as much as you can to keep a sense of direction. Try and get a seat by a window. Don't read. If you start to feel ill, try to distract yourself. Count the number of white houses you see, etc.

I always sit in the SC quiet zone, right at the very very back. I usually sleep through the entire journey now though, so it's okay.

Apparently coach C is the wost for the tilt, so try and get as far away as possible.

I also highly recommend these for any kind of motion/travel sickness
http://www.sea-band.com/UK/uk_seaband.htm

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Thanks Gizmogle.

I had a great view out of the window, and I never read anything anyway, as I'm too busy focussed on the train ride, or scoffing food ;)

I was wondering if my choice of food from the trolley (a hot sausage casserole in a yorkshire pudding) had anything to do with it?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Well, being shaken around on a full stomach may not be the best idea.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Come to think of it, I had had:

1x Great British Breakfast on the way down from Manchester,

1x Bacon toastie Euston-Preston, and

1x Yorkshire Pudding thingy Preston-Carlisle/Glasgow, so I think I may have over done it a little :lol::shock:

In my defense, I was very hungry when I had the great british breakfast, and thought that I better get something on the northbound Pendo before lunch.

I wasn't stuffed to the brim by any means though, and I remember leaving the yorkshire pudding because it didn't taste very nice. (I should have gone for that cheese wrap which was left on its own)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
In my defense, I'm not a fat person by any means! :razz:

I may be tall, but I'm definately considered to be slim. (My medical tests in the passed prove this, on the height/weight table thingy) ;)

I don't normally eat alot at all during the day compared to that day.

The only thing which was bad on the Pendo food wise, was the Yorkshire Pudding, which is a shame, because everything else I've had from a Pendo before has been great.

Has anyone tried the bagels which they used to do a year or two ago? They were delicious!

laseandre

Established Member
Never mind Pendo sickness... I got sick on a 320 today. But that's probably because I had a jumbo hot dog, large drink, ice cream and popcorn in the 2 hrs before.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I get sick on anything :) Again though, it's a slight anxiety thing. Cause I'm so used to getting travel sick, I expect it, therefore the fear of getting sick makes me sick.

Fun fun fun!

me123

Established Member
Never mind Pendo sickness... I got sick on a 320 today. But that's probably because I had a jumbo hot dog, large drink, ice cream and popcorn in the 2 hrs before.

Then again, who's not sick on a 320? ;)

CosherB

Established Member
It's more likely to be the small windows than the tilt that make you sick. The resrticted view, where becuase of the ridiculous letter-box slit windows on a 390 you see more of the inside of the train than the outside view, your inner ear gets confused by the motion and you feel sick.

Regarding food - you're better off with a full stomach than an emty one. I fly aerobatics and if I'm taking someone who'se not done aeros before I insist they have a good nosh before we go. On an empty stomach, almost everyone would barf.

Pendos don't tilt that much anyway. Even at full tilt there's still quite a bit of cant deficiency.

Voyagerdude 220 must be one of those lucky folk who can stuff their faces and not put on an ounce. I'm the opposite. :(

CS

Gizmogle

Established Member
I thought the thin windows on Pendos were to prevent people from seeing how much the train was tilting and getting sick?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Voyagerdude 220 must be one of those lucky folk who can stuff their faces and not put on an ounce.
CS

Thanks CS! :o 8-) :lol:

It doesn't just happen though, as I do regularly try to cycle around, and be active, and try not to stay on Rail UK for too long ;)

CosherB

Established Member
I thought the thin windows on Pendos were to prevent people from seeing how much the train was tilting and getting sick?

I don't work like that. Like if your kids are reading a book on a long car journey they'll almost certainly get car-sick. Get them to sit up and look out the window and they'll be fine. likewise on a ship in rough sea, get out on deck so you can see the ship's movement.

It's the inner ear feeling the movement, but the eye not seeing any movement and the balance senses getting confused, that makes you sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.