• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penrith North Lakes Station

Condor7

This is a lovely station, often voted one of the best kept stations, and very busy, but also excellent for watching trains. What is missing however is a small cafe or food outlet, other than the mobile hot drinks van parked outside the station. Does anyone know if the station buildings particularly on platforms 2 & 3 are all used or if one of them would be suitable for a cafe?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Photos on the Geograph website suggest restoration work took place around 2015. It may be worth looking at http://railwayheritagetrust.co.uk/ as they may well have been involved in this work. Any report they made (eg their 2015 or 2016 Annual Report) may indicate the reasons why the work was undertaken and how the buildings were to be used.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is a lovely station, often voted one of the best kept stations, and very busy, but also excellent for watching trains. What is missing however is a small cafe or food outlet, other than the mobile hot drinks van parked outside the station. Does anyone know if the station buildings particularly on platforms 2 & 3 are all used or if one of them would be suitable for a cafe?

There's a McD's directly outside. A cafe would find it hard to compete, I reckon.

wilbers

or slightly further away there is Oliver's tasty bites - particularly good for made to order sandwich baguettes.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sadly, the Agricultural Hotel which was good for a beer, appeared to have closed down last time I was there.

Lucy1501

A 5 minute walk away there's also Booths and Morrisons which both have hot counters - the former being much better than the latter.

peteb

There used to be ice creams etc in the park cafe opposite (not sure if that's still there).

Russel

Morrisons Cafe nearby is also one of the better ones I've used if you don't fancy sitting with screaming kids in McDonalds.

I always find it strange sitting on the London bound platform that backs onto McDonalds drive-thru as you can hear every order being placed!

childwallblues

Established Member
The only time that I have been to Penrith Station was in 1969 when we changed there to go to Keswick. I think that the line had previously closed beyond Keswick before we were there. Our train from Preston was hauled by a Class 47 and the return by 2 x Class 50.

Condor7

I appreciate the observations regarding nearby eateries but that can be true of most station cafes. A station cafe is somewhere to sit and eat or drink while waiting for a train. I think most would be more comfortable doing that on the platform rather than somewhere else no matter how near. Also if it was a good cafe it may be regarded by some as step up from McDonalds!

dk1

Veteran Member
I appreciate the observations regarding nearby eateries but that can be true of most station cafes. A station cafe is somewhere to sit and eat or drink while waiting for a train. I think most would be more comfortable doing that on the platform rather than somewhere else no matter how near. Also if it was a good cafe it may be regarded by some as step up from McDonalds!

You can't usually get coffee from them for £1.39 and the McDonalds outlets that I use are spotlessly clean.

dk1

Veteran Member
And McD coffee is surprisingly good, largely because they are really good with cleaning the bean to cup machines unlike many other organisations.
Yes I totally agree. Now in Wetherspoons (as I am most mornings) and never had a problem with theirs either.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
would it thrive with so many alternatives nearby? there is a mcdonalds basically in the car park, Morrisons round the corner, a pub just over the way and then of course Booths!

Personally, i wouldn't frequent a McDonals or (say) a Weatherspoons but I suspect many would so each to thier own