• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

percentage of line electrified in the Eastern Region

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigbh

Can anyone point me to some figures for the degree of rail network electrification in the eastern region of the uk - mainly the Greater Anglia network and Bedfordshire?

I'd like to get a proportion of the lines that still require diesel rolling stock compared to electric.
Thanks
Nigbh

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
Bedfordshire's easy - the MML north of Bedford, though that's currently being wired for the Corby services, longer distance i.e. Leicester, Nottingham will remain in the hands of diesel / bi modes for the foreseeable. But there isn't another stop in Beds north of Bedford.

The only other bit in Beds which is non-electrified is the Marston Vale (Bedford - Bletchley) - the line's only 16 miles in total and I'd "guess" the amount of that in Beds is about 10 miles.

Bedfordshire will be well over 90%.

In terms of the GA network you're looking at the following as diesel:

Norwich - Sheringham
Norwich - Great Yarmouth
Norwich - Lowestoft
Norwich - Ely
Ipswich - Lowestoft + Westerfield - Felixstowe
Stowmarket - Cambridge
Ely - Peterborough
Marks Tey - Sudbury

I suspect that the majority (i.e. over 50%) is wired - because you've got London - Colchester - Ipswich - Norwich wired, London - Kings Lynn wired all the suburban branches in Herts and Essex wired (Sudbury is in Suffolk, so not included there).

Don't forget there is some running 'under the wires' for example Cambridge - Ipswich services do because operationally it makes more sense for them to run through to Ipswich than turn back at Stowmarket where the Cambridge line joins the electrified Norwich mainline.

nigbh

Thanks AOwen. Do you happen to know if there is a database somewhere that I can access that gives the total lengths of track under an operator that are electrified compared to those that are not, by kms or miles?

nigbh

Thanks very much GRALISTAR! Indeed a great deal of useful information. As you say I haven't been able to find a breakdown of the 38% of lines that have been electrified by rail operator or even region. I'd be surprised if this data doesn't exist somewhere. What's surprising to me as an electrical engineer, is how poor the presentation of technical data seems to be about the railways. They go into great detail on company performance and customer complaints but don't have anywhere near the same coverage of the technical stuff. Quite a contrast to the way electricity transmission and distribution is dealt with, yet the sector has a similar systems architecture!

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
They go into great detail on company performance and customer complaints but don't have anywhere near the same coverage of the technical stuff. Quite a contrast to the way electricity transmission and distribution is dealt with, yet the sector has a similar systems architecture!

that was exactly my thought too. Glad they have started putting CO2 figures in though.

Status
Not open for further replies.