Permitted Routes. London Victoria to Goring-on-Sea

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by PeterY, 28 Oct 2018.

1. PeterY

PeterY Member

I need to bash the line from Brighton to Ford/Arundel. In the ideal world, I'd like to squeeze in Horsham to Victoria via Leatherhead.

Is it Permitted with an Any Permitted return ticket to Goring-on-Sea, starting at Victoria, then via Brighton, Arundel, Horsham, Leatherhead and back to Victoria. Mileage, it's about the same distance.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

Yes, that is a permitted route. Both the outward and return journeys can be traced on map combination LB+SC, which is one of the map combinations available for London Group to Ford Group (both Ford and Brighton Groups pass the fares check for Goring-by-Sea). Note that you do not need to be on a train that stops at Goring-by-Sea (if you aren't actually visiting there!).

4. PeterY

PeterY Member

Thank you for a prompt reply. I like to stop somewhere doing a round trip, for a snack, tea, wee and stretch my legs. I may even look at the sea. :D:D:D

5. Halsebee

Halsebee Member

Goring By Sea station is a good mile from the sea!

6. A Challenge

A Challenge Established Member

Don't you, as you are doing one journey to Goring-by-Sea and then returning from Goring-by-Sea, on the same train admittedly, as it is effectively a split?

7. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

Ford Group is an appropriate Routeing Point. So if approaching from Brighton, you are permitted to double back between Goring-by-Sea and Ford, and it is not necessary to call at Goring-by-Sea (obviously you do have to when coming back from Ford).

8. Iggy12a

Iggy12a Member

If you are travelling off peak and can book ahead, you could always buy the Southern Daysave ticket at £19.50 and go anywhere you like on Southern without worrying about valid routes.

9. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

I did a similar trip a couple of summers ago but got a ticket to Littlehampton and spent a couple of hours there. A nice walk from the station down by the side of the river to the sea. Good fish and chips too.

10. JB_B

JB_B Member

There is a view that your mapped journey ends as soon you arrive at a valid destination routeing point (which in this case would be Brighton group); if so, then the OP would need to call at Goring-by-Sea.

Things to do in Goring-by-Sea:-

1: take a walk up Highdown hill https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highdown_Hill

2: visit the Sistine Chapel (sort of) https://english-martyrs.co.uk/our-church/visiting-us/sistine-chapel-ceiling/

11. paul1609

paul1609 Established Member

Id second that Littlehampton is a lot more seasidy than Goring which is basically only a suburb of Worthing or Arundel first stop on the Arun Valley line is a very nice town.

12. talldave

talldave Established Member

I'd recommend the Sea Lane Cafe on the seafront at Goring!

13. kieron

kieron Established Member

I'm not familiar with this opinion, but, if PeterY doesn't especially need a ticket to Goring-by-Sea, one to Littlehampton costs the same. The train doesn't need to stop anywhere between Brighton and Barnham with one of those.

14. PeterY

PeterY Member

I did this trip today. I did get an any permitted return to Goring-by-Sea. (Started at Hemel Hempstead)
    The train didn't stop at Goring-by-Sea, from Brighton and I had to change at Barnham, so basically doubled back though Ford. No one checked my tickets. I had a BOJ at Horsham for a snack and came back via Leatherhead and Southern via West Brompton.

Thank you for all the advice. :D:D:D:D

Next new line will be Guildford, out via Leatherhead and return via Oxshott

15. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I don't understand the question as worded.

Are you asking if the train needs to call at the station where you change from outward portion to return portion?

If so, yes you do, and the journey does do this (starting or finishing short is permitted)

16. A Challenge

A Challenge Established Member

I didn't realise you could travel being Goring-by-Sea on a nonstop service when I wrote that, though from subsequent discussion that is obvious.

17. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

No worries :)

18. PeterY

PeterY Member

I wasn't sure if I was doing something dodgy by using a train that didn't stop at Goring. No ticket check, so I got away with it. No lose of revenue for the railway anyhow, so I wasn't that bothered.