• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Person climbs OHLE Warrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A person has climbed onto the OHLE in the Warrington Bank Quay area and severely injured. All lines closed. VT via Manchester Picc, Chat Moss and Golborne Jn where practicable, and ATW Manchester North Wales trains, if possible, diverted via Northwich.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
A person has climbed onto the OHLE in the Warrington Bank Quay area and severely injured.
25,000V with many Amps available is not your friend. It will be a miracle if they survive, and even more so if they are able to make a full recovery.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
13:50 Chester to Manchester (originating at Llandudno Junction) was sent via Northwich leaving Chester 38 minutes late. 13:50 Manchester-Llandudno went via Warrington, arrived at Chester 46 minutes late and was terminated there.

14:46 Chester to Manchester (originating at Holyhead) and 14:50 Manchester-Chester are both currently running on the Warrington line with delays.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
25,000V with many Amps available is not your friend. It will be a miracle if they survive, and even more so if they are able to make a full recovery.

Is it 25,000 V maximum or 25,000 V rms? With a standard plug socket (240V rms) it would be possible to get a 340V shock if touched at the wrong time, but then it's possible to get 0V shock at the right time (don't try it though!)

DaleCooper

Established Member
Is it 25,000 V maximum or 25,000 V rms? With a standard plug socket (240V rms) it would be possible to get a 340V shock if touched at the wrong time, but then it's possible to get 0V shock at the right time (don't try it though!)

The distinction between peak and RMS is entirely pointless in the circumstances, it doesn't matter whether it's 10kV, 25kV or 100kV the end result will be much the same and as 50Hz mains momentarily passes through zero and 340V 100 times a second the idea of touching it at the "right time" is pretty meaningless.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Last edited:

dave12435

How long before we get the parents after sympathy?
These are the same type of youths who vandalise and graffiti etc.
Well I struggle to feel much sympathy in these cases

David

Established Member
If this is at Winwick Jn, then how the f*** has he got onto the line in the first place? Around there, it's surrounded by 10ft high palisade fences ....

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
So much trespass madness going on at the moment - much of which does not make the NRS websites.....

Must be something in the weather ...

najaB

Veteran Member
If this is at Winwick Jn, then how the f*** has he got onto the line in the first place? Around there, it's surrounded by 10ft high palisade fences ....
Don't underestimate the flashes of ingenuity that sometime appear at the shallow end of the gene pool.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
The distinction between peak and RMS is entirely pointless in the circumstances, it doesn't matter whether it's 10kV, 25kV or 100kV the end result will be much the same and as 50Hz mains momentarily passes through zero and 340V 100 times a second.

Don't you mean 50 times per second....?

Easy to speculate at this stage but the person must have had his reasons, especially if the area is heavily fenced off...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Doubt the muppet will do it again. At 14 i knew better, actually at 4 i knew better.

It's easy to make reference to the "Darwin Awards" when things like this happen. But at the end of the day, a young person with their life ahead of them has suffered serious injury at the very least. Much like the recent incident at Wrenthorpe sidings, there's only so much comfort to be gained from the "I would've known better" sentiments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Previous incidents in the area have been associated with this establishent, previously known as Winwick Hospital:

http://www.nhs.uk/Services/clinics/Overview/DefaultView.aspx?id=RTV33

"Overview

Our mission is to plan and deliver services to support people with mental health, learning disability and substance misuse problems. We shall do this in partnership with users, carers, the community, and the public, private and voluntary sectors."

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It's easy to make reference to the "Darwin Awards" when things like this happen. But at the end of the day, a young person with their life ahead of them has suffered serious injury at the very least. Much like the recent incident at Wrenthorpe sidings, there's only so much comfort to be gained from the "I would've known better" sentiments.

Set out above is the most sensible statement made on this thread. Well said.

I also feel great sympathy for those who have to try to deal with these situations from a medical emergency response and railway operations viewpoint. Coming across someone hideously burned and injured can not be pleasant. Even more so if they are a child.

Last edited:

spongsdad

My father was a police inspector in the 1930s and 40s in the mill towns of Lancashire. Every year, one of his most heartbreaking tasks was to pull out of the water young children who had drowned in mill lodges. Eventually society learned that teaching young people to swim would at least minimise such tragedies.
We need to instil into young people the dangers of high voltage installations, not to mention the hazards of playing or trespassing on the railway. That is a job for all of us. There will still be accidents as some people, especially, young people, believe it couldn't happen to them. Indeed, when we are young we all believe we are immortal. Those of us who are a little more worldly wise need to emphasise whenever we can, that railways and especially electrified railways are lethal places to seek amusement.

dk1

Veteran Member

Oh well. World famine & all that. Not much you can do about it.

sng7

Don't you mean 50 times per second....?

SInce 50hz is 50 cylces a second and each cylce goes 0v to 340v back to 0v then to -340v before returning to 0v to start the next cycle he was correct with it having a magnitude of 0v and 340v 100 times per second as it reaches those magnitudes twice per cycle

Strathclyder

Established Member
Couldn't have put it better myself...

MCR247

Established Member

What exactly do you mean by 'the same type of youths?' Do you personally know the person involved?

What an excellent post

Status
Not open for further replies.