• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peterborough [PBO] - Stansted Apt [SSD] XC Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at flights out of Stansted Airport in November which are a decent price, the only problem is that it is on a Sunday.

I live in Peterborough, so I consulted the XC timetable and noticed that the first direct train from Peterborough doesn't get into Stansted until 13:45

Considering this is a train connecting to an international airport, this seems incredibly late in the day. Does anyone know in particular why this is?

There are earlier trains but they all seem to start from Cambridge - are these simply just positioning services?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan344

Established Member
I've no idea. But for future reference, you couldn't be so kind as to put the station names in the title? Not everyone understands station codes!

455driver

Veteran Member
Because there is very little passenger traffic early on a Sunday morning (when was the last time you wanted to use a train on a Sunday morning?).

Because of this it is also traditionally the time when medium sized engineering jobs are carried out (Saturday night/ Sunday morning) and so they don't run trains as they would just be carting fresh air around.

ST156

The earlier services are mostly positioning as far as I'm aware. The XC sets are held at Cambridge overnight so the first services start from Cambridge and head to the airport to form the first few services through to Birmingham.

The 13:18 from Peterborough is the first direct service, arriving at the airport at 14:44

If you're still looking to get to Stansted earlier I would recommend travelling to Kings Cross/Finsbury Park on one of the early morning GN services, then taking the Victoria Line to Tottenham Hale & a Stansted express service from there to the airport.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
If it is any help I believe that there is a direct bus from Hitchin much earlier than the first service from Cambridge, when I say early I mean 5am from Hitchin

Not sure who runs the service though but sure you can find out online

Status
Not open for further replies.