• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peterborough to Leicester Line Bridge Bash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyman30

The driver was first taken to hospital, so may not yet have spoken to the police. https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/lorry-driver-injured-hospital-after-7788257

A previous driver was given a fixed penalty for careless driving in Scotland (not sure if the traffic laws vary slightly) https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/lorry-driver-hit-penalty-after-27491595

I guess the police will speak to the driver and then decide whether to issue a Fixed Penalty or take the driver to court for something like driving without due care and attention. The driver will also presumably have a somewhat awkward conversation with their employer.
Well I'm just concerned and confused at the same time tbh. I work for biffa and I know who the driver is that caused it. But I didn't find out until Monday as I thought it was slightly a bit strange why my colleague didn't turn up that morning then I eventually found out from another colleague who told me what happened. The driver in question is a very smart bloke and weren't stupid. So I'm just shocked completely.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Well I'm just concerned and confused at the same time tbh. I work for biffa and I know who the driver is that caused it. But I didn't find out until Monday as I thought it was slightly a bit strange why my colleague didn't turn up that morning then I eventually found out from another colleague who told me what happened. The driver in question is a very smart bloke and weren't stupid. So I'm just shocked completely.
Do you know if he is OK now?

On a separate note, do your lorries have height-specific navigation aids?

dannyman30

Haven't been told nothing about he's condition all I heard was he had an operation on he's spine. On your separate note I literally have no clue. I only drive the vans

12LDA28C

Established Member
What are the possible penalties for driving an "out of gauge" lorry into a bridge and how do they compare with those for doing it with an out of gauge train?

An out of gauge train? I don't think you'll find too many examples of a train hitting a low bridge.

But when they do, this is the result...08898.jpg

zwk500

Veteran Member
An out of gauge train? I don't think you'll find too many examples of a train hitting a low bridge.
More than a few examples out there of Containers getting into arguments with bridges due to improper loading or routing.

dannyman30

Apparently what someone told me that this bin was compacted green waste.

Attachments

• 91fc657111b745d590a4062124ae3b79.jpg
    91fc657111b745d590a4062124ae3b79.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 138

sharpley

A number of container trains are to run on the wrong line over the bridge on the next few Saturdays as the London diversionary route won't be available. NR advising that level crossing barriers in the area will be down for much longer. Story from LeicestershireLive...
Coming into effect this Saturday (November 12), motorists in Oakham and the surrounding area are being warned of delays due to Network Rail using the town’s level crossings. Rail bosses are calling on drivers to avoid them if at all possible.

The reason for this is due to vital freight services having to travel in the “wrong direction” through Oakham and then over Fosters Bridge itself. Throughout the day, the bridge is only operating one way.

A similar warning is in place for the following Saturday (November 19) as the continued problems with the bridge are affecting an important freight route for the UK. Fosters Bridge takes on some freight traffic which carries containers between the port at Felixstowe and the Midlands, with most services at present being diverted through London.

However, essential engineering work on the Crossrail route makes the London diversion unavailable on both Saturdays. Network Rail say that over the two weekends seven freight trains will be safely managed the “wrong way” along the line over the bridge.

Mordac

Established Member
The driver was first taken to hospital, so may not yet have spoken to the police. https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/lorry-driver-injured-hospital-after-7788257

A previous driver was given a fixed penalty for careless driving in Scotland (not sure if the traffic laws vary slightly) https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/lorry-driver-hit-penalty-after-27491595

I guess the police will speak to the driver and then decide whether to issue a Fixed Penalty or take the driver to court for something like driving without due care and attention. The driver will also presumably have a somewhat awkward conversation with their employer.
Traffic laws are devolved to Northern Ireland, but not Scotland or Wales. I believe Scotland got special dispensation to change drink driving limits, but otherwise everything else is the same across GB.

TheBigD

Established Member
SLW section will have to be Ketton to Langham.
Westbound services (down line) will have to stop at Ketton, reverse back over the crossover on to the up line, then run wrong road all the way through to Langham, where the crossover will be facing the movement, before crossing back over to the down line.
I can see why they have only diagrammed 7 trains according to the article!

If they don't want to reverse at Ketton it will mean using the facing crossover at Helpston having the SLW section Helpston to Langham which will require more staff (crossing attendents for the AHBCs at Bainton and Bainton Green). I suspect this will be unlikely.

PG

Established Member
As beams go, they are fairly straightforward. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone found them in a civil engineering contractors’ equivalent of ‘down the back of the sofa’ (in the compound).
Perhaps Network Rail still had a few of the original 'bomb-proof' GWEP electrification masts lying around...

38Cto15E

According to Realtimetrains, there were some Intermodals today from the Birmingham area to Felixstowe, they didn't appear to lose any time between Langham and Ketton.

High Dyke

Established Member
According to Realtimetrains, there were some Intermodals today from the Birmingham area to Felixstowe, they didn't appear to lose any time between Langham and Ketton.
Normal working, on the Up line (towards Peterborough) albeit with a possible speed restriction at the site.

66701GBRF

UP line is open without any speed restrictions.

Ploughman

Established Member
As beams go, they are fairly straightforward. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone found them in a civil engineering contractors’ equivalent of ‘down the back of the sofa’ (in the compound).
Maybe a bridge job got cancelled due to mismeasurement of the gap.
As happened near Pontefract racecourse in about 2006 when, with the new bridge on site and the transporters in place, someone checked the gap and found it to be about a foot too wide. Job cancelled.
What to do with the bridge then?
Keep it in a yard just in case?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Getting to the stage where we almost need a "sticky" or pinned thread on all incidents of this nature. They seem to be more frequent.
You almost need a separate board, let alone thread. Worrying to me is that both the Bash the thread was originally started for and the bus bash mentioned above seem to have hit the bridges with a good deal of force. The bus is probably showing worse for less force than the skip, but even so I don't like to think of the forces involved.

philthetube

Established Member
There is virtually no strength in the top deck of a bus, they are not expected to roll onto their roofs so no need.

From the pics the back end of the bus survived so presumably the bus stopped within its own length

zwk500

Veteran Member

snowball

Established Member
Also a press release yesterday

Passenger services between Leicester and Peterborough will resume on Wednesday 23 November, after a bridge strike in Ketton, Rutland caused extensive damage, leading to the closure of the line.

Engineers have been working to carry out the immediate repairs and have made good progress, after a lorry struck Foster’s Bridge on Saturday 5 November. The line will reopen in both directions on Wednesday 23 November.

In the meantime, passengers are urged to check their journey before travelling as buses replace all trains between Leicester and Peterborough (via Melton Mowbray) until Wednesday 23 November.

Services between Birmingham and Leicester are running as normal and an hourly service between Peterborough and Cambridge has continued throughout the work, with some services running through to Stansted Airport.

Drivers in Oakham are also being urged to expect delays at the town’s level crossings – and avoid them wherever they can – on Saturday 19 November.

As engineers continue to make repairs, essential freight services need to travel in the ‘wrong direction’ through the town and over Foster’s Bridge, which is only operating one-way following the incident.

The line is one of only two routes for freight traffic between the Midlands and the port of Felixstowe – the other one is via London. Essential planned engineering work on the Crossrail route on this day means that freight traffic will need to travel via Oakham. The level crossing barriers in the town will be down for much longer than usual, and people should choose an alternative route wherever possible.

The A6121 Stamford Road, which runs underneath Foster’s Bridge, won’t fully reopen until the vehicle collision beam is reinstated. Weather permitting, this will happen on Saturday 19 November which will allow the road to reopen by 18:00 on Friday 25 November.

Gary Walsh, East Midlands Route Director for Network Rail, said: “This has been a massive piece of work for our teams and I am pleased that the line between Leicester and Peterborough will fully reopen next Wednesday. The damage to the bridge at Ketton was substantial and we are very sorry for the impact this has caused.

“Our teams have worked hard to carry out these repairs as quickly as possible and I’d like to thank passengers and the local community for their patience. In the meantime, passengers should continue to check before they travel and drivers in the Oakham area should avoid the level crossings in the town wherever possible on Saturday.”

John Robson, Regional Director East Midlands and East Anglia for CrossCountry, said: "We are looking forward to being able to run our services as normal again and are delighted with how efficient Network Rail have been to be able to reinstate services following the substantial impact the damage to the bridge has caused. We would like to echo Network Rail thanks to the local community and our customers for their patience."

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
On the second NR photo, ie the finished grey painted deck, (link in previous post), is that the type of bridge where they will fit longitudinal timbers in the “slots” to carry the rail chairs?

Are they what are known as “way-beams” or something?

But can anyone please explain why this design of bridge is better suited to that location than a conventional trough carrying ballast? Is it about the overall depth of the bridge?

zwk500

Veteran Member
On the second NR photo, ie the finished grey painted deck, (link in previous post), is that the type of bridge where they will fit longitudinal timbers in the “slots” to carry the rail chairs?
In essence yes, although the 'chairs' may well be pandrol clip bases but that's a technicality
Are they what are known as “way-beams” or something?
No idea sorry
But can anyone please explain why this design of bridge is better suited to that location than a conventional trough carrying ballast? Is it about the overall depth of the bridge?
Because it's a like-for-like replacement of the previous bridge deck, as that's what the abutments are designed to hold. If they were doing a full bridge replacement including clearance works then a concrete trough might be used, but that would required a lot more design and preparatory work.

Status
Not open for further replies.