Petition for Manchester Piccadilly platforms 15 & 16

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Rhydgaled, 27 Apr 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

And unlike Ringway (and Speke, for that matter) they are not used in local parlance.

2. Purple Orange

Purple Orange Member

I never hear Ringway in reference to the airport. I just read it on here.

3. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

It is noticable that the person seemingly living in the past on this thread who is constantly referring to Ringway does not also refer to Manchester London Road station...:rolleyes:

4. Roast Veg

Roast Veg Member

To my mind the temporary solution is, although deeply unpleasant, reasonably straightforward.

1a) Turn back the Norwich service at Sheffield - saving Dore and Castlefield both a path. Advise travellers from/to Derby and Nottingham to go via Crewe for/at both Manchester and Liverpool, and bolster the service between Derby and Crewe with the units freed from curtailing the Norwich to Liverpool service.

1b) Turn back one of the two TPE airport services in one of the bays at Manchester Victoria. Our delightfully important airport passengers still get a service from York onwards, albeit at a reduced frequency.

2a) Approve Package C, and build it (allowing this thread to run its course at last). Consider introducing a replacement fast service between Manchester and Liverpool to supplement the missing EMR service once the ability to turn back at any of the Manchester stations is possible. If the EMR service has already been reintroduced as part of 2b, then consider extending the TPE service onward as appropriate.

2b) Progress the Hope Valley improvements. If double tracking the Dore curve is enough to reintroduce the EMR service reliably on its own, then do so.

3) Relieve congestion at the throat of Manchester Piccadilly with HS2.

5. Killingworth

Killingworth Established Member

Oslo is about 28 miles from the airport. Trains are roughly every 10 minutes and it takes about 20 minutes. Oslo is smaller than Greater Manchester and Norway's population is about 2/3 of the North - West. OK they've got oil, hydro-electricity and fish, but also a spirit to get things done!

Manchester Airport is about 11 miles from Piccadilly and it takes as long. Gatwick is about the same distance from London as Oslo Airport is from the city, but it takes nearer 30 minutes than 20.

6. Killingworth

Killingworth Established Member

Totally agree with first sentence, but it won't be completed until 2023 at best. That's how slow even modest infrastructure can be improved on our modern railways - and most of that is just reinstating what was there until 1985. The Liverpool connection can't be axed until then.

7. Roast Veg

Roast Veg Member

It can, and unfortunately it very well might. There have to be winners and losers when employing a contingency, and unless there's a better way to resolve the issues in both locations then I'm not sure what else can be done.

8. En Attendant

En Attendant Member

Yes, I can imagine that by searching 'why Manchester Airport is vital to the economy of the north west' it is fairly easy to find a report stating this, produced by the airport, which will.not doubt take an entirely neutral perspective on the issue

9. En Attendant

En Attendant Member

When aviation actually does drop down the list considerably, perhaps we can resume this discussion.

As for the discussion re the actual state of the railways, it's clear that you are not prepared to even contemplate the possibility that there are any priorities for any rail travellers in the north of England apart from getting to and from Manchester Airport, or to offer any actual evidence justifying your position, so I think I shall leave it there.

10. Roose

Roose Member

Intelligent? Merci.

11. En Attendant

En Attendant Member

Thanks for your contribution.

I have spent a reasonable time commuting in the fairly recent past in Greater Manchester. Perhaps I'm more difficult to satisfy in my definition of good quality public transport.

Not entirely sure what my 'agenda' is, beyond having an opinion which differs from that of some other people on this forum. Do those who will not countenance any question about the importance of Manchester Airport, or its role in the current rail system, also have an 'agenda' ?

12. En Attendant

En Attendant Member

I'm not disputing that a respectable number of people use the airport station. What I am questioning is whether its use as such to justify it being prioritised over intercity and commuter links when capacity is limited.

Hopefully in 50 years time there will be sufficient rail infrastructure to allow us to serve all major areas of demand and make this debate academic, though I'm not holding my breath

13. En Attendant

En Attendant Member

Yes, Gatwick does have some direct medium distance services, but none that I'm aware of terminating in a large city with its own airport 120 miles away and requiring stopping services to be displaced from the Thameslink core to facilitate them.

14. En Attendant

En Attendant Member

Surely there must be some slightly more sensible option than removing yet further rail services from what's already the second worst-served of Britain's largest cities. Is it really sensible, for example, that Liverpool-Nottingham becomes a 2 change journey taking about an hour longer ?

15. Glenn1969

Glenn1969 Member

I thought the plan was for Liverpool to Nottingham to remain as a through journey but passengers beyond Nottingham for Grantham, Peterborough and stations to Norwich would have to change at Nottingham?

16. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

That is the long term plan.

However, short time, the argument is that it might make sense for it to be one of the services that doesn't go through Castlefield to ease the congestion through the area.

17. Glenn1969

Glenn1969 Member

I thought that applied to the Chat Moss Airport/Crewe stopper which could be terminated at Victoria. Given that the Nottingham is routed via Warrington it surely has no choice but to pass through Castlefield?

18. En Attendant

En Attendant Member

That is one argument. Another argument is that an intercity service connecting 3 of the 10 biggest cities in Britain should not be dismembered, even temporarily

19. Greybeard33

Greybeard33 Established Member

The bay platforms 1 and 2 at Manchester Victoria are only 111m and 98m long respectively. They are too short to take TPE's 5-car 802s or Mk5A+68 sets. It would be very difficult/costly to extend them into the station concourse.

20. En Attendant

En Attendant Member

The 'choice' is for Liverpool passengers to make their way to Piccadilly and joint the EMR service there, despite there being 2 fewer services per hour between Lime Street and Piccadilly (if the Chat Moss is redirected to Victoria as well) to actually get them there.

Oddly, the space in the main shed at Piccadilly which absolutely, categorically , definitely doesn't exist when anyone suggests putting one of the TPE airport services into it magically becomes available for the EMR service.

21. FelixtheCat

Personally, that is the side I fall on.

22. GRALISTAIR

GRALISTAIR Established Member

Which way would it go - Liverpool- Crewe-Derby-Nottingham?

23. AndrewE

AndrewE Established Member

I think when it was discussed before someone said it can't be pathed across Crewe station in the northbound direction.

24. Purple Orange

Purple Orange Member

Perhaps you should follow the references in the report and fact check it for yourself. It’s all there to follow.

Back on topic of P15 & 16, I would split the Southport-Alderley Edge service and have them terminate at Piccadilly and go through Victoria respectively.

The Liverpool-Airport-Crewe service should stay as the airport is just absolutely vital to the economy of Liverpool. The city relies on Manchester airport way too much. Taking liberties.

;)

25. Greybeard33

It might be possible to find space for a 4-car EMR service from the Stockport lines to terminate in P11/12 instead of it running through P13/14. That is very different from terminating a 5- car TPE service from the East lines in P1-3.

But in any case I very much doubt that the EMR service is under threat of eviction from the Castlefield corridor, any more than the three Northern CLC line services or the three TPE services. Much more likely that DfT is looking at diversion to Victoria of Northern and/or TfW Chat Moss and/or Bolton line services for the short term "decongestant" timetable.

26. FelixtheCat

Short term it would be cut at Piccadilly.

27. Bantamzen

Bantamzen Established Member

Of those long distance services, I'd say the EMR is the most under threat, however what is more likely to happen is it being split at Nottingham. I'd also be tempted to have at least the Yorkshire TPE services skip Oxford Road to reduce their occupation time in the corridor. It wouldn't be by much, but even a couple minutes less dwell time would help.

As for the rest, it is the simplest and probably least disruptive option move/spilt a couple of Northern / TfW services to enter Victoria from the west, and for split services to start the south eastern routes in the main shed at Piccadilly. But that should be caveated with a full commitment from DfT to get on with planning, costing and starting the much needed Castlefield improvements.

28. En Attendant

En Attendant Member

'Might'

29. Greybeard33

The Liverpool - Nottingham service provides a direct link between four large cities, three of which have metro mayors who are highly influential stakeholders in the Rail North Partnership (RNP). Only a political masochist would choose to butcher this service.
    Notwithstanding this tongue-in-cheek comment, I suspect that political considerations might well ensure that both direct Liverpool - Manchester Airport services (CLC and Chat Moss) survive. Steve Rotheram and Andy Burnham have been marching in lockstep on RNP issues.

30. Bantamzen

Bantamzen Established Member

As I said, the more likely result would be a spilt of the current service at Nottingham. There is probably no need to terminate it at Manchester providing some of the Northern services through the corridor were rationalised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.