• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol and diesel prices - how much have you been paying?

AM9

Veteran Member
Wholesale price has fallen to just over £1/litre. Wholesale is minus VAT (20%), delivery (2p/l) and retailer costs (historically between 3-6pl).
Is good to track wholesale and within a few days of wholesale price increases I notice pump prices rise.

Back to pump price Costco in Chester are currently charging 132.9p/l for E10 Petrol. Just goes to show how much the retailers are overcharging at their forecourts.
I would suggest that fuel is a loss leader with Costco, so no point in claiming that everybody else is overcharging.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

david1212

Established Member
Around me E10 unleaded is down 4 - 5p/litre over the last week. Diesel less with the gap increasing as is the trend as winter approaches.

Snow1964

Established Member
Petrol was down to 139.9p at Sainsburys in Melksham
Opted for E5 premium at 147.9

First time I have seen it below 140 for a while

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Paid 144.7p per litre for petrol at a Sainsbury's site in East Manchester yesterday. Diesel was an extra 8p per litre. Morrison's in the nearby area was exactly the same. Couldn't easily tell at the nearest Tesco as the big sign on the forecourt entrance at their site wasn't illuminated.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Interstingly in St Albans diesel prices have fallen about 6p, but petrol hasn’t shifted yet.

75A

Established Member
So what have your random local fuel prices got to do with my reply to @TheEastAnglian that Costco prices are part of a loss leader to draw in custom to the stores rather than an example that other fuel outlets should (or even could) follow?
The thread is called 'Petrol and diesel prices - how much have you been paying?' hence I answered the question.

I would suggest that fuel is a loss leader with Costco, so no point in claiming that everybody else is overcharging.
Costco is traditionally a few pence cheaper than supermarkets. RAC who undertake fuel watch have been saying for sometime retailers are overcharging. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67254013
But let's do some maths. Wholesale price for 22nd Nov'23 was 101.34p
Lets add VAT which is 20% - 20.268p
And Distribution costs - 2p/l
Retailer 'profit' were traditionally 4-8p/l. All adds up to around 130p.
It doesn't take a genius to work out the difference. If you go back along the RAC chart to find to find prices over the last few years for similar wholesale prices and then look at retail price, pump prices are significantly higher today. So I'll stand by my original comment, motorists are being fleeced and overcharged by "everybody else".

AM9

Veteran Member
Costco is traditionally a few pence cheaper than supermarkets. RAC who undertake fuel watch have been saying for sometime retailers are overcharging. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67254013
But let's do some maths. Wholesale price for 22nd Nov'23 was 101.34p
Lets add VAT which is 20% - 20.268p
And Distribution costs - 2p/l
Retailer 'profit' were traditionally 4-8p/l. All adds up to around 130p.
It doesn't take a genius to work out the difference. If you go back along the RAC chart to find to find prices over the last few years for similar wholesale prices and then look at retail price, pump prices are significantly higher today. So I'll stand by my original comment, motorists are being fleeced and overcharged by "everybody else".
If supermarkets lowered the prices that they charge for fuel, it would mean higher prices for some food products to maintain overall margins, so everybody would be negatively impacted rather that just motorists.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder what this is about?

Asda owner Mohsin Issa has been warned that he risks being found in contempt after he was accused of ‘misleading’ Parliament.

Claims against the billionaire retail tycoon have been made after he submitted evidence to the Business and Trade Committee, which reportedly contained inaccuracies.

Labour’s Liam Byrne, chair of the committee, said he was “taken aback” to read in the Evening Standard last month that Mr Issa’s evidence to MPs – which was submitted after a fraught hearing before MPs – was flawed.

A spokesman for Asda said the incorrect information was provided to the committee in “error”.

“All group companies are UK registered and pay tax in the UK in accordance with UK tax legislation.”

In a letter sent to Mr Issa on November 13, Mr Byrne said: “I am disappointed to have to point out to you that submitting inaccurate information to a select committee is tantamount to misleading the House of Commons and this is prima facie a contempt of Parliament, which is a very serious matter.

“I should add that any contempt of Parliament is significantly compounded by the fact that you have seen fit not to inform the committee itself of the errors in your letter – leaving us to find out about this matter from a newspaper report.”

Mr Byrne also reiterated concerns over the complexity of Asda’s business structure, which is part of the Issa’s empire alongside petrol station operator EG Group.

He said Mr Issa must provide further clarity on Asda’s ownership before the end of the month.

An Asda spokesman said: “We have received the committee’s letter dated 13th November and are responding to them.”

The criticism is the latest development in an ongoing push by MPs to draw information out of the Issa brothers, who bought Asda in 2021 in a £6.8bn debt-fuelled deal.

Asda was forced to submit further information after Mr Issa’s appearance before MPs in July.

He was asked to answer questions by the committee as part of a wider review of food and fuel prices across supermarkets.

However, he was accused of stonewalling and wasting time during the session after he was repeatedly asked why regulators had found Asda’s fuel margin targets were three times higher than in 2019.

Questions also centred on Asda’s holding companies after the Issa brothers appeared to receive a £1.8bn dividend last year.

Mr Issa later claimed the payment was made to settle intercompany loans and denied that dividends had been paid out.

He said it was not uncommon for a business of Asda’s size to have such a complex structure.

Typically, for a non-member to be found in contempt of parliament, an MP must raise concerns with the House of Commons Speaker.

The case can then be referred to the Select Committee on Standards and Privileges which would report its recommendations to the House to debate.

The punishment for contempt is usually a reprimand before the House, however in reality it is very rare for cases involving non-members to reach the standard for contempt.

david1212

Established Member
Tesco this morning 145.9p/litre E10 unleaded & 150.9p/litre diesel. All others I have seen this week have a larger difference.

Clearly charge what they think they can get away with locally

It does sometimes seem like that. Or just matching what the nearby opposition are charging?

But no uniform national pricing.

All my observations fit this given the price in two areas 10 miles apart can be different by 5 or more pence a litre between the same supermarket / mainstream brand on sites that I would expect to have a similar turnover and are an insignificant driving time difference from the nearest distribution terminal.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It is definitely falling. Like a feather when it rose more like a rocket, but decreasing nevertheless. Sainsbury's near me 143.9 for petrol and 153.9 for diesel at lunchtime today.

4COR

Still 153.9/159.9 round our parts today - West Oxfordshire is always expensive compared to, say, Abingdon/Wantage - currently 12p/l difference between Witney and Wantage for diesel...

jon0844

Veteran Member
Our Asda has dropped to 1.43 from 1.51 (not sure how many steps in between, if any) which surprised me big time given how high Asda has traditionally been of late... but maybe that select committee story above has prompted the company to be careful.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I filled up on Thursday at Morrisons in Heckmondwike, 143.7/l (unleaded E10). Had held back as long as possible as prices were dropping, saved me 3.2p/l compared to Tesco.

4COR

Filled up the other car with diesel today in Newcastle (Co.Down) and it was £1.44!
Geez. Still £1.59/l for diesel today on Witney (200yds from A40). (£1.63 spotted in a small Cotswold village garage earlier too )

Russel

For the first time in as long as I can remember, my local Morrisons is actually the cheapest supermarket at £1.41, 4p cheaper than Asda, it's usually the other way around.

PeterC

Established Member
E10 prices between 149.9 and 151.9 in Romford this morning but only 142.9 at Hemel Hempstead

DelW

Established Member
In Surrey, I went into town yesterday past my local Jet station which was showing 145.9p for petrol; by the time I came back two hours later, it was 139.9p. I was glad that I hadn't refilled straight away when I returned home from Wales with a low tank last Friday.

Last Thursday I'd filled up in Llandovery at 142.9p which was the lowest I'd seen for a long while.

SteveHFC

Supermarket prices in Dunstable have dropped (as of Sunday) to 143.9p for Petrol (not sure what the diesel price is). A drop of around 10p per litre over the past few weeks.

London Gateway services were 170.9p for petrol yesterday (viewed from the Midland Main Line)