• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol panic buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Drive in the left lane at HGV speed for a quiet life. Boring and you arrive a few minutes later but with more petrol in the tank.
Thats what I have notoiced. My car (Carlton auto) likes 65 * which is too fast but then too slow unless I hoof it to overtake.

And I have just remembered. During the fuel crisis of 1973 the national speed limit was reduced to 50mph. I remember people being amazed how much it reduced their fuel consumption. I wonder why the government has not done it this time, probably a mix of being to slow to invoke and not wanting to appear alarmist.

EDIT :- *=I should explain 65mph is the lowest speed the autobox locks up and so it the ideal speed for saving petrol.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
In the days when I used to drive around Europe in a P registered Mini (P-suffix, that is) she was quite happy to cruise for miles at 56 mph. As soon as you went past that everything shook or rattled until you got in to the upper 60s when, like going through the sound barrier, it all became calm again. Mind you it wasn’t advisable to travel at this speed for any distance as various warning lights (well, all of the few that a Mini had) came on.

alxndr

Established Member
Thats what I have notoiced. My car (Carlton auto) likes 65 which is too fast but then too slow unless I hoof it to overtake.
Really? We had a van that would top out at 64-65 mph and it was generally possible to maintain that top speed with no issues (and still use the correct lanes, unlike some).

WM Bus

Rather than panic buying fuel, more people should use public transport buses and train services in my view. Then that leaves more fuel for those who need it.
More environmentally friendly to have 1 bus on the road vs 100's of cars all with only 1 person in them.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Really? We had a van that would top out at 64-65 mph and it was generally possible to maintain that top speed with no issues (and still use the correct lanes, unlike some).
I should explain 65mph is the lowest speed the autobox locks up and so it the ideal speed for saving petrol.

reddragon

Established Member
My dad drove his mini van converted into an estate all over Europe often pulling a half mini trailer in the 60s. He swapped out the engine for the smoother Cooper engine.

It would cruise at 90, but about 50-55 there was a vibration spot caused by unbalanced wheels. We forget today that in those days wheel balancing wasn't the norm and was hard / costly to do. Him being a mechanic also balanced drive shafts & the wheels to perfection.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Totally agree. Fully down to media scaremongering, which leads to the story becoming true as people panic.
I also agree. Though Shapps comments don't fill me with confidence either given this governments track record

reddragon

Established Member
The simple facts and figures of resources, supply & demand differ significantly from the official government stance.

If you look at all issues from China to shipping to Brexit, driver shortages and significant shifts in demand type, we are in for one hell of a ride this winter.

The muppety toffs are utterly clueless in what to do. You cannot run a country by babbling, then checking opinion polls / feedback sessions. You need leadership skills.

birchesgreen

Established Member
In the days when I used to drive around Europe in a P registered Mini (P-suffix, that is) she was quite happy to cruise for miles at 56 mph. As soon as you went past that everything shook or rattled until you got in to the upper 60s when, like going through the sound barrier, it all became calm again. Mind you it wasn’t advisable to travel at this speed for any distance as various warning lights (well, all of the few that a Mini had) came on.
Ha that sounds like my old Skoda Favorit, great up to 50 then things got "interesting". i did once take it up to 70, i felt like Chuck Yaeger.

Gloster

Established Member
Ha that sounds like my old Skoda Favorit, great up to 50 then things got "interesting". i did once take it up to 70, i felt like Chuck Yaeger.
I twice got mine up to 90 mph, though only for very brief periods before wiser councils gained the upper hand and I returned to a more reasonable speed. I won’t say where I did these deeds.

the sniper

Established Member
Either things are getting better or I got lucky. I'd done 550 miles on the last tank full and was just entering the red. Passed a few stations that were out of fuel. Went to check my usual cheap Asda, only a car or two queuing for each pair of pumps, 4pm in the evening. £30 limit, but that wouldn't have covered me out and back for the journey I was to be making, so went around twice. Though the booth staff were authorising people to take more, I'd gone to the card only/prepayment pump the first time. Didn't get a full tank, but all done in about 15 minutes. Glad I was able to hold off and shouldn't have to return until this has all blown over. If anything, the queue only seemed to being caused by the payment booth, as the cashier seemed to have fallen out of sequence with all the same £30 payments coming through, I suspect someone double dipped and got the second lot for free...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rather than panic buying fuel, more people should use public transport buses and train services in my view. Then that leaves more fuel for those who need it.
More environmentally friendly to have 1 bus on the road vs 100's of cars all with only 1 person in them.
And walk/cycle where possible, as that's healthier!

I don't drive a car and have no interest in doing so; therefore I am unaffected by this.

Would be interesting to hear the views of other forum members who have tried to get petrol today; was your experience similar to @the sniper's?

I don't live particularly near a petrol station so have not attempted to see if there have been any queues or gridlock as a result, and I've not come across any either.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
My wife picked me up from the station at 9.30pm last night.

As we pulled into our road, I noticed a short queue of tail lights at the end of the road. This was unusual but could only mean one thing. I got out and suggested my wife joined the end of the queue. Her daily commute to work is around 40 miles and that's before she even starts (she needs her car to travel to her clients). She had 1/4 tank left (1 litre engine) and 10 mins later, she returned having struck lucky by being able to fill up. If it's of any interest, it was a Texaco petrol station

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
Petrol reacts chemically with most plastics. You cannot for example lay a water main in plastic through land contaminated with hydrocarbons for this very reason.
I've never noticed any delay once my payment has been authorised so either the remote operator at the station I use regularly is very on the ball or no manual pump activation is required.
I suppose the card authorisation is a check to some extent, though I'd be surprised (and somewhat concerned) if there was not at the very least an emergency shut-off function if someone decided to cover themselves in fuel.

I've had a word with my Dad, he used to run all the Burmah petrol stations in the NW and beyond in the 70s.
The licence to sell petroleum products states you must (or did) check before authorising a delivery from a pump and of course a duty of care if someone was doing something silly like above. As @reddragon said petrol does react with plastic and my dad said that staff were told they could not authorise a delivery into an unsuitable container and this was in the 70's.
Makes me think about unmanned petrol stations or some drive-through petrol stations; is someone really watching the CCTV?

I've had a word with my Dad, he used to run all the Burmah petrol stations in the NW and beyond in the 70s.
The licence to sell petroleum products states you must (or did) check before authorising a delivery from a pump and of course a duty of care if someone was doing something silly like above. As @reddragon said petrol does react with plastic and my dad said that staff were told they could not authorise a delivery into an unsuitable container and this was in the 70's.
Makes me think about unmanned petrol stations or some drive-through petrol stations; is someone really watching the CCTV?
Indeed my Mother ran a Petrol station in the 70's and 80's she used to Stock Petrol Cans to buy in the shop especially for the numpties

MattRat

On Moderation
I just found out apparently there is also a fuel problem in the USA. Pretty certain that debunks the Brexit problem narrative.....

SteveM70

Established Member
Would be interesting to hear the views of other forum members who have tried to get petrol today; was your experience similar to @the sniper's?

My eldest son passed his driving test last Friday and has been eager to use his newly-earned freedom. He’s had a couple of local trips out yesterday and today, with today’s to include getting some diesel. 6th time lucky he found a petrol station with some available, albeit limited to £35 worth

Starmill

Veteran Member
The Colonial Pipeline hack was mid-May. The pipeline was back in operation by the end of the same month.
Also, a pipeline is not so directly dependent on a labour force as tankers are. And it's the labour force that's the problem.

TPO

Hopefully the delivery issues don't imply that any bus, railway or other service vehicle depots will be running dangerously low on diesel. Unfortunately of course lots of delivery vans etc have pretty much just got to sit in the queues with everyone else which isn't ideal.

Depends how good the depot delivery systems are. It's all about cash-flow.

When bulk fuel is ordered (whether by a forecourt retailer, railway or other) the fuel is paid for at the point of delivery or before. Then it's sold over time. Where demand is predictable and fuel available on a next-day basis it's easy to keep the fuel in-fuel out levels balanced- so the tanks don't run dry AND also so there's not much cash tied up in unsold fuel.

That is actually why the BP forecourts were having problems originally- when they had to wait a week between deliveries it was harder to predict and they didn't want cash tied up in unsold fuel so they didn't always get it right- so ran dry. (This was really a non-story blown up by ITV and BBC to create a crisis to promote a Remainiac agenda, but that's another issue; the original BBC website report was actually correct and low-key but the headline was clickbait and panic-inducing).

Where trains are serviced regularly, there will be a known level of use and a regular delivery schedule....... so unlikely to be an issue. A problem might arise if a bunch of trains got out of pattern due to an incident and ended up at a different depot to usual. All depends on how tight things are being run, especially if the depot also lets freight locos fill up there too.

Isn't the real underlying problem the fallacy of 'Just In Time' logistics; that's simply too fragile to deal with the unexpected. There have been many examples exposing this since the start of the Pandemic.

Filled up on the motorway on the way home last night, plenty of Diesel available but only two pumps had BP Ultimate petrol left. I'm working away this week so have enough for that, then I'm on holiday so hopefully it is sorted by the time I get back.

Resilience and emergency planning is unpopular because you needs to spend money without seeing immediate return- like an insurance policy, no-one likes paying but everyone is glad they had it when a mishap occurs and it pays out.

I'm not sure about the practicalities of building tanks large enough to hold several weeks' supply at every petrol station?

You don't necessarily need bigger tanks at existing fuel stations- just more of them (and under control of those who need them). Why does every ambulance station, Fire Station, Police HQ and Local Authority Highways depot not have their own fuel tanks? I'll tell you why; the top brass would rather spend money on "diversity officers" and on being all "engaged" rather than on the nuts and bolts of delivering a resilient service. Usual politricks which lets down the front line. Once upon a time not so long ago, they would all have had their own fuel systems.

In the last fuel crisis, I worked in mid-Wales. In those days, the Local Authority Highways dept had fuel tanks in every depot- as they needed a reliable supply particularly for winter salting. So they made that available to the local Emergency Services. But that fuel system was relatively unusual, even then most LAs had got rid of or were getting rid of tanks rather than maintain and replace them as they aged. Thing is, if the Elected Members have a choice between a few more books in schools or paying to secure infrastructure resilience inevitably the emotions will win and it'll be books in schools (or another emotive issue) any day.

There's also far fewer fuel stations that before- just look at how many became second-hand car dealers or fix-it garages- because the big supermarkets undercut their margins (the big supermarkets were often selling fuel at a lower price than these small forecourts could buy it for). Plus the regulations for underground tanks are onerous (and above-ground tanks need space and new planning permission which in a built-up area might be difficult to obtain).

The signs up at some petrol stations say that HGV and emergency vehicle drivers can go inside the shop to ask to pay for more than £30 worth of fuel which will be allowed. Obviously at the unstaffed filling stations I don't know what they do.

I take issue with this sort of "fuel rationing." Like the emotive response which tends to prevent proper resilience spend, it's all very well to gush over helping "Doctors and Teachers" jump the queue, but they won't be able to do much if the lights go out because power workers cannot fix faults or food is not delivered to supermarkets. And are ALL of the HGV journeys being done strictly necessary or could they wait a day or two? There were plenty HGVs on the M42 and M5 today and I doubt very much they were ALL carrying "essential" supplies like food. Perhaps the local care worker or the local Train Driver needs the diesel more than the truck with a container of garden furniture on it......?

There's also some rather more "essential" things than (say) the local school or GP- starting with electricity, gas, water and sewage infrastructure, food deliveries and blue-light services.

I do wonder if all the Category 1 responders in the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 actually have "failure of fuel availability" in their Risk Assessments; even if they did, one could argue their mitigations were obviously unsuccessful and they have failed in one of their core duties.

Can I ask a question without looking a bit dim?

Where do diesel trains get their fuel?

I know they don't go to the petrol station (obviously) but are they dependent on tanker deliveries? Or is it delivered through pipelines, like aviation fuel?

Road tankers to train maintenance depots. Big fuel tanks, with dispensing pumps- fueling roads with the correct dispensing fittings for the units/locos using the system. Can also have the tanking facility on the same pad, put the train in and fuel/tank it. (I was involved in the upgrade of such a depot facility a year or few back). Pretty sure most if not all use road tankers.

Basically- resilience costs money.

The current fuel crisis is primarily a media/RHA construct by Remainers with an agenda to take political advantage of the fact that for 20 years successive govts have run down resilience and robustness- the "peace dividend" and it all started when the Berlin Wall came down. Blair was the PFI artist, although Thatcher started the "externalization" of Local Authority based services, Blair continued it with a vengeance and often the stuff lost was the infrastructure needed for resilience like fuel systems.

Finally- the media has been very silent on the role of DVLA and the PCS union on the HGV driver situation. DVLA is in a hack of a state and the sooner the heads of DVLA management and the PCS whingers are banged together and they start behaving like grown-ups the better.

TPO

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
This was really a non-story blown up by ITV and BBC to create a crisis to promote a Remainiac agenda, but that's another issue; the original BBC website report was actually correct and low-key but the headline was clickbait and panic-inducing
There's really been only limited mention of leaving the single market as a result of the fuel delivery crisis. Their headline wasn't at all alarmist, although the Sun and others certainly were.

MattRat

On Moderation
There's really been only limited mention of leaving the single market as a result of the fuel delivery crisis. Their headline wasn't at all alarmist, although the Sun and others certainly were.
Well it's been all over social media about how Brexit is the problem.....

Starmill

Veteran Member
Well it's been all over social media about how Brexit is the problem.....
OK so a few of your friends on Facebook are saying it is about Brexit, and that makes it the BBC's fault?

There's a lot of stuff on social media...

TPO

And walk/cycle where possible, as that's healthier!

I don't drive a car and have no interest in doing so; therefore I am unaffected by this.

I don't live particularly near a petrol station so have not attempted to see if there have been any queues or gridlock as a result, and I've not come across any either.

Hmmm, thing is a heck of a lot of core things rely on road transport....

Lots of public transport operators need road transport to/from work and most food comes on HGVs.

On Monday every fuel station on the M-way/big towns in Midlands were empty or big queue or petrol only. Today- same this morning although less of a problem further south into Gloucestershire.

The problem I had on Monday was that I needed AdBlue but was not allowed onto the HGV area to use the AdBlue pump due to HGVs queuing (service station on M-way was only selling diesel to HGVs), in the end I managed to get a small drum of AdBlue from the forecourt- but had to resort to making a funnel out of a water bottle to get it into the tank.

Seems to be quite a lot of variation in fuel supplies as you move down the country, Texaco and Shell seem less badly affected, BP and Esso (and supermarkets) most effected.

TPO
Hmmm, the original BBC website headline last Thursday said "HGV driver shortage leads to fuel stations running dry" or some-such rather than being more factual e.g. "small retailers who don't want too much cash tied up in fuel sometimes get the demand prediction wrong so they and run out for a day or two."

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hmmm, thing is a heck of a lot of core things rely on road transport....
True; in practice @WM Bus' suggestion that more people use alternative modes would not make any material difference on the current panic buying and fuel availability situation, but it is a creditable suggestion which is not going to be possible for everyone but there are many people who could do that, but really it's a debate for another thread.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Hmmm, the original BBC website headline last Thursday said "HGV driver shortage leads to fuel stations running dry" or some-such rather than being more factual e.g. "small retailers who don't want too much cash tied up in fuel sometimes get the demand prediction wrong so they and run out for a day or two."
For people who've got it in for the BBC, whatever they do and whatever words they choose will be wrong.

brad465

Established Member
All the petrol station violence, selfish attitudes, media sensationalism, Government having to intervene into poorly private-run critical industries and more can all be linked back to one inescapable conclusion: neoliberalism doesn't work.

I could probably write 1000+ words explaining why I believe in this, but in summary much of the above have happened either as a consequence of neoliberal policies (or lack of state attention), or a side effect of things that are required to keep a neoliberal economy afloat (such as marketing tricks designed to trick people into buying things they don't need). Thatcher said "there's no such thing as a society", well if you're made to believe we live in an economy, when we're meant to think we live in a society, panic buying and/or anything that's a breakdown in society is inevitable.

MattRat

On Moderation
OK so a few of your friends on Facebook are saying it is about Brexit, and that makes it the BBC's fault?

There's a lot of stuff on social media...
I should clarify. That's where the Brexit myth is coming from, for those curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.