• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Phil Sayer Lost the plot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
A virus which attacks PIS systems by announcing a Eurostar service to Wales? I highly doubt it! I'd imagine it was set up by the Ditra operator to amuse the railtour pax!

Lampshade

Established Member
Oh no he didn't! Every time he said it it sounded like it had a soft i at the end and a th ie rhyming with frith!

Just as well it wasn't me announcing it then otherwise it would have been pronounced exactly how it looks - Pon-tee-prid :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
The funniest part of the clip was his pronunciation of Pontypridd!!!

Why? He pronounced it correctly! Which is more than can be said for most of the English!

Oh no he didn't! Every time he said it it sounded like it had a soft i at the end and a th ie rhyming with frith!

Would you be able to provide an accurate pronunciation of Pontypridd, then? I must admit that I always thought that it was "Pont-ee-priff", but I'm not sure... Still, better than "Pon-tee-prid" suppose. Being so close to Wales does give relatively easy access to their pronunciations. I always thought that Caerdydd was "care-didd", not something similar to the French "gare" [station] followed by "diff" until fairly recently... [Iidiot! :D - sorry if anyone else thought/thinks the same, because I have effectively called you idiots too!]

Last edited:

dan_atki

Established Member

Which is the correct pronunciation - Pont-ee-preeth!

If you did want to be picky with Welsh pronunciation there, choose Llanfairpwll. Best not to get me started...

Ivo

Established Member
Ah, Welsh. Also known as "The World's Phonetic Minefield" :D

I just invented that term, so no passing it off as your own! :D

Jordy

Established Member
The thing is though, its all well and good going for a full on Welsh pronunciation, but going for near enough correct and clear pronunciation makes it much easier for non Welsh speakers to understand IMO!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Wahey, not only can I pronounce it but I can spell it from memory, won me numerous bets :D

That's more than many Welsh people can do!

Ah, Welsh. Also known as "The World's Phonetic Minefield" :D

Correct! Although I used to have great problems with pronunciation in norfolk - Potter Heigham, Happisburgh and Wymondham being particularly problematic!

I just invented that term, so no passing it off as your own! :D

:lol: The cynic inside me thinks Phil also pronounces 'Pwllheli' as 'Poof-felli' like Sarah and Ruth do :(.

I think you're right! When I advise English friends I suggest they pronounce it as Poolthelly - that's the nearest without dislocating your mouth!

Ivo

Established Member
Why, oh why did I decide to spend the winter trying to learn Welsh...? IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

N.B. It isn't really. It's just impossible for a non-native to pronounce! And even then, that's a lie :roll:

I would like to hear something similar by the guy who provides the Welsh language voiceover. To a typical Englishman, it would be something like this:

[Nonsensical Gibberish]
Y Barri, Conway, Caergaint Gorllewinol, Aberdaugleddau, Lerpwl Canalog, Llywdlo, Caerlyr, Hwlffordd, y Caergrawnt.
[Further Nonsensical Gibberish]

- Barry, Conwy, Canterbury West, Milford Haven, Liverpool Central, Ludlow, Leicester, Haverfordwest and Cambridge

[Lesson one in "Making a Loss", methinks...]

dan_atki

Established Member
near enough correct and clear pronunciation

AKA, the English copout version...;)

Still, we could go all 'English' with Llandudno (now lan-dud-no), Llanelli (lan-elly), Caersws (care-swiss), Machynlleth (mac-en-nell-iff), Llanfairpwll (lan-fair-pwill), Porthmadog (porff-ma-dog), and several others...

Ivo

Established Member
AKA, the English copout version...;)

Still, we could go all 'English' with Llandudno (now lan-dud-no), Llanelli (lan-elly), Caersws (care-swiss), Machynlleth (mac-en-nell-iff), Llanfairpwll (lan-fair-pwill), Porthmadog (porff-ma-dog), and several others...

Well, so long as we don't start to hear "Garrdiff Gannahlogg"...! :D Also, if you ask me, "Lan-elly" just sounds really odd. And if Alan Lambourne [the Gilette Soccer Saturday Results reader] can say Caersws properly, I'm sure that at least some of England can.

Dai.

Established Member
Loving the announcement.

However the posts in the topic seem to be getting funnier, I'm watching different pronunciation of Welsh words come up all over the place.

Ivo

Established Member
Loving the announcement.

However the posts in the topic seem to be getting funnier, I'm watching different pronunciation of Welsh words come up all over the place.

I notice that you are from Wales yourself. Does this mean that you can speak Welsh fluently, or would you be one of the majority who would be happy to say "Care-swiss"?

Dai.

Established Member
I notice that you are from Wales yourself. Does this mean that you can speak Welsh fluently, or would you be one of the majority who would be happy to say "Care-swiss"?

Haha, I don't speak welsh Fluently anymore, I am however undergoing lessons to get my welsh back up to scratch and I can pronounce a majority of names being said. Caersws I can say with difficulty.

Although Care-Swiss will come to mind whenever I see its name now!

Ivo

Established Member
I would like to know where "care-swiss" came from, though. It doesn't even look like that. I would have thought that the lack of a vowel would make the "W" a vowel sound? Along the lines of "care-soohs"?

Jordy

Established Member
But saying 'Kigh-ah-suess' could confuse native English speakers apparently as it is too 'full on Welsh'...!

I'm not saying say it exactly as you would in English, you need more of a balance between correct and understandable! "Kigh-ah-suess" is fine as it is understandable!

dan_atki

Established Member
I would like to know where "care-swiss" came from, though.

It was my over-Anglified equivalent of a few Welsh places in an attempt to prove a point about English people and Welsh place names ;).

I'm not saying say it exactly as you would in English, you need more of a balance between correct and understandable! "Kigh-ah-suess" is fine as it is understandable!

And 'Puh-hlel-lee' isn't understandable as Pwllheli then? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.