• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Phone battery died - not given opportunity to buy new ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmh

Established Member
I think the point is more that if a particular company is only offering etickets as tickets direct to their own app then they aren't doing etickets right (GWR were like this a couple of years ago but now do it properly) and so it may be a good idea to change which company you buy your tickets from so you use an app where they do actually do etickets right (and thus send you a pdf etc). Obviously it doesn't help for any tickets you've already bought but it would for future plans!
I'll repeat. The ticket is only available as an m-ticket. I cannot buy it from a different company or use a different app. I agree that shouldn't be the case, but unfortunately it is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'll repeat. The ticket is only available as an m-ticket. I cannot buy it from a different company or use a different app. I agree that shouldn't be the case, but unfortunately it is.

You can buy m-tickets for any TOC from any app that supports m-tickets (which isn't now all of them).

You can even buy them from a PC as long as the phone app is logged into the same account as the PC is.

nanstallon

I'm a dinosaur who doesn't know how to do electronic tickets. Happy to stay that way when I see how unfairly customers are treated.

mmh

Established Member
I'm a dinosaur who doesn't know how to do electronic tickets. Happy to stay that way when I see how unfairly customers are treated.
Absolutely. It's just another of those technological marvels that are sold to us as a benefit, when it's far from it. The customer, sorry passenger, is the furthest thing from minds when introducing new things in our favour.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Have you not noticed how unfairly customers who lose paper tickets are treated?

You can buy m-tickets for any TOC from any app that supports m-tickets (which isn't now all of them).
Only when the TOC has enabled mTickets.

nanstallon

Have you not noticed how unfairly customers who lose paper tickets are treated?

Only when the TOC has enabled mTickets.
I quite agree that customers who lose paper tickets are treated unfairly, but at least if you have a paper ticket, you can make sure that it is in your wallet/pocket and available for inspection.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Wow, this really is a marmite subject which we regularly seem to debate and go round the same circles.

To summarise:

Paper tickets - need to be printed at a station or a TVM. No power or technology required but lose it and it can’t be replaced.

E-ticket- a barcode that can be shown on any device, a smartphone generally being the device of choice. It can also be shown on paper if the holder chooses to print it out themselves. Risk that if the smartphone loses power that the ticket cannot be shown.

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. I suppose the belt and braces approach is an e-ticket displayed on a smartphone with a paper copy in you back pocket just in case

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Should not most of the recent posts be moved to this thread (or other threads about non working phones)? I can't see many from about post #20ish that are of any great help to the OP....

I think it’s probably best if the discussion is moved along to that thread now yes.
Here’s the link:

Status
Not open for further replies.