• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Phone taken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
For what reason?

Unfortunately, quite a few people always messed around with them at our school - texting in lessons etc. Then they moaned when they got confiscated...

Mintona

Established Member
I have no sympathy if you were playing with it in school and there is a rule telling you not to.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You're asking for it really if you do it in lessons...

Gizmogle

Established Member
LOL! I was expecting you to say that you were mugged in the street or something.
Why does it matter if your phone was taken if it's in safe hands and you're gonna get it back?

Nathan

This was enforced at our school too, somewhere something changed and now if your phone is found to be out then it is taken direct to the headmaster where you can collect it in your own time and with good reasons. Some cases people are too scared so they either wait till the end of term when they have to collect it or not at all!

D306

Established Member
My schools policy on moble phones is that, If it's taken away from you by a cover teacher, you have it back at the end of the lesson. Normal teacher, end of the day, A Head Of Department end of the week, and Senior Staff, at Half Terms/Christmas/Easter/Summer

tedted

When teachers "confiscate" (steal more like) mobile phones, they don't realise the dangers they're putting their students in.

What if you get kidnapped on your way home from school, and you can't contact anyone (including the police who can rescue you) because the teacher took your phone? Any teachers reading this please take note.

Bonemaster

When teachers "confiscate" (steal more like) mobile phones, they don't realise the dangers they're putting their students in.

What if you get kidnapped on your way home from school, and you can't contact anyone (including the police who can rescue you) because the teacher took your phone? Any teachers reading this please take note.

People have traveled too and from school for very many years before mobiles were invented, if you are using one you are more likely too be mugged, and if someone was going to kidnap somebody the first thing they would do is make sure you dont have the phone and dump it

If your phone gets confiscated at school tough, you know its against the rules, and you know what the punishment is, its a lesson for life

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
People have traveled too and from school for very many years before mobiles were invented...

Although they say that it's getting more dangerous. You only have to look at all these kids being murdered.

andel

I had a phone 10 years ago when they were the size of bricks - no one even knew of "text" then... I used it if I were ever stranded in mid-wales...

Tom B

Established Member
Although they say that it's getting more dangerous. You only have to look at all these kids being murdered.

People were still getting murdered years ago, just the tabloid press weren't quite so desperate for stories then.

Our school definitely had a facility to leave your mobile phone at the office during the day. I assume others have a similar facility. This means you can't use the excuse "I need it for getting home" - if you do, leave it at the office and pick it up before you go home.

Steal? No, they are permitted to confiscate items that are in breach of school rules. I obviously don't know what yours are, but expect them to include something about phones not to be on your person / to be turned off in lessons.

merseytrains

Our school rule is 'if a teacher can see it, it gets taken off you'. I had a phone which was so sensitive it kept turning itself on in my pocket, and wen the keypad was locked it just kept dialling 999. It was rather annoying that happening in lessons which is why I got a new phone.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are you saying the murder rate has gone up? if so please give a source.

Also, are you saying that having a mobile phone decreases the chances of being murdered? A source would be useful...

In reality, just having a mobile phone can put you at risk! Take a look at this: http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/stolengoods/stolengoods3.htm

Bonemaster

People were still murdered and people still attacked when I was at school during the 1980s and 1990s, and it is very nieve to think a mobile phone is something that will help you out if you are attacked, as the most likely crime for an under 18 to be a victim of is ..... mobile phone theft, nearly 500,000 a year, and as such a mobile phone carrier is more likely to be a victim of crime.

The thing that I dont get is why people take them to school, they cant use them, most of the people I would have spoken too are also in class, they distract the lessons of teachers, and the teaching of every child is effected by every interuption, the teachers have got more important things to do than confiscate mobile phones and then there is the risk of mobile phone crime on top of all that

Needless to say when my kids are old enough to have one, they wont.

Jim

Established Member
I had a phone 10 years ago when they were the size of bricks - no one even knew of "text" then... I used it if I were ever stranded in mid-wales...

You had a signal:shock: ;)

TheSlash

Established Member
I would just like to add my experience as a mobile phone user of 10 years.
I took my mobile to school everyday
I never had it confiscated
I never got attacked
I never got mugged
I was never kidnapped
I was, to the best of my knowledge, never murdered
I have never had a mobile phone stolen
I have never stolen a mobile phone

Should i go on?

Bighat

I would just like to add my experience as a mobile phone user of 10 years.
I took my mobile to school everyday
I never had it confiscated
I never got attacked
I never got mugged
I was never kidnapped
I was, to the best of my knowledge, never murdered
I have never had a mobile phone stolen
I have never stolen a mobile phone

Should i go on?

Err...sorry, I thought you already had!

Bighat

Oh that was supposed to be scary? I think it's a "Must try harder" ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Strangely enough no, i take it you have though? If that's what you're into..

What a strange assumption to make.

Merely an enquiry, as you seem to have appointed yourself an 'expert' on negatives about what hasn't befallen you and your mobile phone. :)

TheSlash

Established Member
Nope, definitely realist, although i am impressed by your extensive vocabulary. Being the simple person i am, i don't need no big long words to disguise what i say.
You're a ******* ******;)
Let's review?
I express a personal view on something and i become a negative provocateur?

Bighat

Nope, definitely realist, although i am impressed by your extensive vocabulary. Being the simple person i am, i don't need no big long words to disguise what i say.
You're a ******* ******;)
Let's review?
I express a personal view on something and i become a negative provocateur?

Nothing extensive in my vocabulary, but by your own admission, I will keep it simple!

You have even managed to mis-quote me by referring to it as 'a review'. If so, it was a bad one.

I said you were an 'argent provocateur', NOT a 'negative provacteur'. I won't bother to go on to explain this further, as, despite your own admission of 'being a simple person', I feel that this a mere disguise behind which YOU hide.

Taking an opposing view, when such a view is genuinely held, is the meat of any forum. Such action should be applauded and welcomed.

However, you seem IMHO, to have developed it into an art form, where you oppose, disagree, contradict, not to develop an arguement, but to annoy, embarrass, humiliate or otherwise reduce the purpose of a well intended post to a mockery.

Hence my use of the term 'argent provocateur'. 'I don't need no big long words (double negative here, but is this a further attempt to act like one of the 'simple' people?) to disguise what I say' either.

You know EXACTLY what you are doing, and frankly I think it detracts BIG STYLE from good, honest debate on this forum.

If you have something VALID to say or add fine, even a 'huorous' riposte (look that one up, you may like it!) is fine, but, even if you fool yourself, you don't fool a large number of the members here.

I have NO statistical proof of this last assertion, but rely on various comments passed to me by others.

Status
Not open for further replies.