• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photos of diesel hauled mk4 set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeb375

I've just watched a very enjoyable old documentary on the ECML and the then new-ish class 91s. It covers the winter of 1991 when the particularly powdery 'wrong type of snow' got into the loco's air intakes and melted, leaving a nice puddle that shorted out some of the electrics.

One scene shows a driver booking on and being told he'd be taking the Yorkshire Pullman down to London with a diesel hauled mark 4 set, with 'no electrics' in the set. I was wondering if anyone has seen any pictures of such a set, as I can't remember coming across one. I'm sure that with the amount of people putting scans of their old slides and photos up on Flickr etc nowadays there must be some pictorial evidence of this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

beeb375

Oh yeah I saw the whole thing, I particularly enjoyed how ancient the early 90s now look, and how many things have changed, especially the pay packets!

Would still be intrigued to see a picture of this diesel hauled set though, partly out of curiosity about whether everything really does make it's way to the internet eventually...

beeb375

Haha well that's not something you see every day is it! Yes very interesting, i assume this was early days when they were running them with 43s because the DVTs weren't ready yet, but still a great shot!

gazthomas

Established Member
Haha well that's not something you see every day is it! Yes very interesting, i assume this was early days when they were running them with 43s because the DVTs weren't ready yet, but still a great shot!

Thanks! I can't remember ever seeing two 43s towing mark 4s like that, much more common with mark 3s, especially on GWR

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Without watching the whole program, was this the documentary which showed a 47 hauling a mk4 set? I seem to remember the driver talking to camera about how draughty it would be and him putting a bin liner around his legs to try and keep warm.

Edit - It is! 39 mins in. I can’t seem to get any sound though.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Without watching the whole program, was this the documentary which showed a 47 hauling a mk4 set? I seem to remember the driver talking to camera about how draughty it would be and him putting a bin liner around his legs to try and keep warm.

I'm pretty sure you're correct there Mr Cowley, that's the one I remember too, a really clapped out looking Class 47/4 he was at the controls of.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm pretty sure you're correct there Mr Cowley, that's the one I remember too, a really clapped out looking Class 47/4 he was at the controls of.
I just found it and edited my post but I can’t seem to get any sound unfortunately.
Great view from the cab as he’s pouring a cuppa and belting along through the snow though.

beeb375

Here's the one I watched yesterday which had sound. For some reason the last 15 minutes of the YouTube video is just repeated bits, bit the full 45ish mins running time is on there

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Here's the one I watched yesterday which had sound. For some reason the last 15 minutes of the YouTube video is just repeated bits, bit the full 45ish mins running time is on there

Still not working for me, maybe it’s a problem with my phone.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's bizarre, not working for me now either... Must be a temporary problem at YouTube's end decoding the video or something
Oh no, I’ve broken YouTube.
Probably better go to bed now.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Here's one:
http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/images/donations/Michael Kaye/CO Michael Kaye - Paul Corrie/Bradford/47418 at Bradford F. Sq.jpg

There's a handful of photos online of the Bradford workings west of Leeds, where initially after electrification the class 91 would be taken off the train at Leeds and a generally tatty class 47, or even a 31, substituted in its place, but for the life of me I can't track them down right now.

For interest, there was a previous thread on this subject that may add some detail:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...y-something-other-than-class-89-90-91.108681/
The link for that photo doesn't take me anywhere, but assuming that the photo is something like this one:
http://www.traintesting.com/images/HSTs_with_test_train_at_Heaton1.jpg
Then it was actually a means of testing the mark 4s over the Newcastle to Edinburgh section of the ECML before the overheads were fully energised, in March 1991.

Last edited:

beeb375

There we are, my faith in the internet's ability to obtain all information is restored! Thanks! I will definitely miss the Mk4s once they're gone from the ECML, mainly because I remember how futuristic i thought they looked when i was a young lad and how excited I was to ride in one.

here's a nice vid of ECML Diversions via the GN/GE Joint Line - February 1991 with a few Mk4 sets being dragged

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
here's a nice vid of ECML Diversions via the GN/GE Joint Line - February 1991 with a few Mk4 sets being dragged

Excellent. Quite a few freight 47s on there.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I will definitely miss the Mk4s once they're gone from the ECML, mainly because I remember how futuristic i thought they looked when i was a young lad and how excited I was to ride in one.
I fully agree - The styling and matching treatment of the Intercity livery were very striking to an impressionable young mind like mine when I first saw them running through Newcastle. Quite probably the last generation of express passenger traction and rolling stock to be purpose built for the ECML. To me, they are synonymous with the route - They've served longer than the Deltics did, after all.

There we are, my faith in the internet's ability to obtain all information is restored! Thanks! I will definitely miss the Mk4s once they're gone from the ECML, mainly because I remember how futuristic i thought they looked when i was a young lad and how excited I was to ride in one.

Yes, the first class with smoked glass, and dark colours was very much of it's time when it was new, and looked very stylish, to me anyway!
Second class always looked very stark and functional.

GrimShady

Established Member
Yes, the first class with smoked glass, and dark colours was very much of it's time when it was new, and looked very stylish, to me anyway!
Second class always looked very stark and functional.

I loved the look of the trains bit I do remember being very unimpressed with the coach fittings. If I remember correctly BR ran out of money when it came to specifying the decor.

The Mallard refit was wonderful!

Status
Not open for further replies.